How much vertical in a single day?

I did a solo day at G3000 yesterday with my beloved Combe d'Audon closed (high avy danger). Only the Martisberg run was open, which runs under a quad chair. I did non-stop laps (two-thirds of the run offpiste in big fresh pow) to the tune of 4 per hour, for 6.25 hours. Each run is 600m so I ended up doing about 25 laps = 15,000m of vertical or nearly 50,000 feet. I could have ridden to 5pm but I felt like I had enough for one day. It was only after I passed out on the couch for 3 hours later that evening that I started to consider how much I had actually done.

I think that was the most vertical I have ever done in one day. I normally do about 8000-9000m when the Combe is open, and that always seemed like a lot. The problem with the Combe is there is a long round trip to do one circuit, so much of the day is spent riding back up and traversing across. Being confined to a single chair run really allowed me to test what I could do.

So how much is a lot? What's the most you've ever done?

some pics later......

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pics

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I must say, that's a pretty awesome amount of lift served goodness, specially on a powder day. I'm sure my best would be lucky to be about half that, for the very reasons you stated for yourself. My normal route selection and chairs requires a lot of time/energy spent getting to where I ride, rather than just riding. Doing straight laps has never been something I've had that chance to do. Specially when just stacking my own tracks on a powder day...

Check most cat and heli-ski operations as well. They don't usually touch those numbers with their regular service either..

Any way you cut it, that's some serous vert... The jealousy never ends...
    Greg
    "NoKnees"

Great pics, especially after riding Mammoth for a week. Place is pretty boring in comparison. I don't think that I have ever logged anywhere near 50,000' of riding in a day. Although I tend to look at how many cliffs, chutes & pow turns that I can get. Looks like I need to ride the EU a little more.
    e

How's life treating you E? Keep meaning to call..

Anyway, I do like the quality of ride things, but there is definitely something to be said for some quantity when the pow is right... Good stuff...

Looks like my next season might be 100% backcountry... Just signed my life away on a house.. Loan/escrow now in process. Crazy stuff... I'm now officially "owned". Crossing fingers all goes well.. I think... House is good, right? Even if it owns you? Gotta love the S.F. Bay Area...
    Greg
    "NoKnees"

"Howzit Brah"

NK, Congrats on the next step in life.....

Greg,

You don't sound too happy about getting da house? So, whats the big deal about buying a house that 30 yrs old, Approx. 1500 SF and only costs around $1M.... Nah, really I'm sure its a great investment and its only going too appreciate in price....Sure beats renting! Now you can start on having little ones.... By the way, heard K-Wood suppose to 5" this Sunday.....

Again congrats

Ric

Congrats on the house, that's a big step. Getting married & buying a house in under a year, seems like just yesterday you were nibbling on your mother's teet. Hope it goes through.
    e

now you're officially grown up

Congrats on the home purchase. Now you'll have all those house/yard projects to do. So are you going to tear down the little house and squeeze a big one on the same lot, like I've seen done on much of the Penninsula?

--jerel

That is a lot of vert. Looks like you got quantity and quality both.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripzalot

So how much is a lot? What's the most you've ever done?

some pics later......
    Looks like a very nice run to be "trapped" on. I think that any day with over 25,000 vert is very respectable. The most vert I've gotten in a single day was at Mt. Bachelor, Oregon. They have almost entirely high speed quad chairs, so a lot of vert is easy there. I've had a few 40,000+ vert days there. It's always fun to ride a lot of vert in good quality snow and on interesting runs.

Darius

My goal is get that amount of vert hitting my 1/4pipe. All I need to do is hit it 2500 times in one day.
    e

Well, not tearing anything down yet. Can hardly afford the shack that sits on the lot already. But yes, that is an option at a late date. We won't get crazy though, as we don't plan on having kids to slow us down. Maybe a small remodel to give us an actual master bedroom/bath. Someday...

Random stats on the house to show you how sick things are in the Bay Area.... 2bdr, 1bth, 80 years old.. approx 1000sqft. Lot size is okay at 6400sqft at least. Detached 2 car garage. Less than $1m, more than $.5m...

So yah, I'm excited to be buying instead of renting... Just not as excited about the slightly trapped feeling a substantial mortgage puts on your life...

Anyway, back to snow... That's where I want to get... Back to the snow..
    Greg
    "NoKnees"

How much is that a sq foot? Least you'll have some nice change if you decide to sell it & work in a grocery store in some small mtn town. Actually this whole house pricing thing is making me a little sick & not stoked on the future.
    e

Love shack

Congrats! That's a big step. Your hand must've been shaking when you signed those papers.

Just for laughs, look at what $265,000 buys you these days in SoCal:

Fixer-upper, or blower-upper?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

The only kind of vertical I've done recently...

...and it's been a blast! Got back into rock climbing in order to do something with this season, and while participating at a fundraiser a week ago, got all motivated and completed 26 routes in 3 days... while my drive was the worthiness of the cause, and the fact that hubby pledged "per climb" , it turns out, that I benefited too, I won a new Black Diamond harness, chalk bag and locking carabiner. Woohoo!

Now Lil'M is taking some climbing lessons, the girl is a natural... I gotta say, parenting gets funner every day.

Oh, an Noknees, congrats on the new house, don't let the responsibility overwhelm you, remember, it may feel like a chain, but you got the keys. Material posessions serve a purpose in time, but not to control our lives, the day the house no longer serves the purpose it was meant to have, you sell it and walk away with your equity, which is more than you would get if you rented.
    Canaria
    "...my madness is my love for mankind" Vaslav Nijinsky

nice

Quote Originally Posted by LazyL
    that shack would look SOO good in my backyard! noKnees, congrats on the house man!

just for comparison, the house I'm in (and possibly buying) is a 2 story, 2bdrm 2bath with finished basement, detached single garage and, of course, detached single-wide on acre+ lot, 10min for downtown atlanta that was last on the market for ~$185K. One of the ATL's big plus' is housing is within in reach of mere mortals.

now if I can just talk the GF into staying in ATL.

-mht

you mean "backyard" not backcountry??

congrats on the house, they are cool in spite of the mortgage....

For $900,000 CDN you can live in this:

4635 W 12TH AV, Point Grey, Vancouver West,
    Prime Point Grey updated charming solid & cozy family home on a south exposed 46x121.9 level lot, 2 bdrm + family room upstairs & 2 bdrm basement suite, lovely back yard. Close to UBC & bus, Lord Byng High School district.

MLS®: V512224 Finished Floor Area: 2060.0 sqft.
    Property Type: House Lot Frontage: 46.0 ft.
    Basement: Partially Finished Lot Depth: 121.9 ft.
    Bedrooms: 4 Age: 82
    Bathrooms: (Full:2, Half:0)

Features: Fireplace

Good looking house Canuck, fair price, but the commute would have been a bit much. Next time though... Guess I should have opened up the range of our house search.. ;)

And um, ours is $736 a sqft, a bad deal for living space? Times are bad...

Ah well, this is a good thing though... Like you said Canaria, this is just our snail shell. When it no longer fits, we can cash in and move on. Definitely beats rent.

Ours is no longer listed as sale is "pending", but here is a house down the street with a similar layout, but about 100-150sqft smaller than ours. And ours has a nice well landscaped yard, unlike this thing. Get to work on my green thumb too. Planting a vegetable garden so we can at least afford to eat.... Link to MSL

I'll grab some photos next time I swing by... Move in date won't be until Jun 13th assuming all the paperwork goes through fine. Getting the final appraisal for the financing today...
    Greg
    "NoKnees"

[QUOTE=NoKnees]Good looking house Canuck, fair price, but the commute would have been a bit much. Next time though... Guess I should have opened up the range of our house search.. ;)

And um, ours is $736 a sqft, a bad deal for living space? Times are bad...

Zoinks, a lot of money for a small house huh???!

I think we should all move to Atlanta!
    naaaaaaaaaaa........

Very nice!

Checked your link and the place looks pretty nice, however, I gotta admit the prices in Cali are through the roof! My house has very similar especifications (although only 8 y.o.) and the current average price in my hood (10 minutes from downtown Seattle by bike) is 1/3 of what you are being asked to dish out in California, to say nothing of what we paid at the time of purchase ($145K ).

An edible garden is a fantastic and fun idea, my yard is packed with fruit trees, herbs, and seasonal veggies, from my perspective it just tastes better (yummy, free and organic), while being educational for Lil'M.

I was barely of legal drinking age when I bought my first house with baby in tow, so if I could manage then, so can you now, don't you worry... ;)
    Canaria
    "...my madness is my love for mankind" Vaslav Nijinsky

Yah, prices are crazy.. But as long as they stay crazy, I don't mind so much anymore... And it's funny... I mean, everyone stretches a bit or their first house. The numbers are big, but we still make it work...

And yah, gardens are good... We already have a fig, lemon, lime, pear, and comquat(sp?) tree.... The lemons are HUGE... Not sure if the pear tree will offer much, it's pretty young still and I'm not a big fan of figs... But hey, lemons for everything and limes for beer works for me... Now just need to figure out the veggies...
    Greg
    "NoKnees"

No idea, don’t even count lift rides. Just ride untill I feel like stoping or the lifts stop turning. Next year my local mountian will keep track of all this in the seasion pass secret chip technology thing. Coustermers will be able to log on to the net and see their stats.

Wave-Maker / Pot-Stirrer

Talking Guess things aren't so bad here.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck
    you mean "backyard" not backcountry??

congrats on the house, they are cool in spite of the mortgage....

For $900,000 CDN you can live in this:

4635 W 12TH AV, Point Grey, Vancouver West,
    Prime Point Grey updated charming solid & cozy family home on a south exposed 46x121.9 level lot, 2 bdrm + family room upstairs & 2 bdrm basement suite, lovely back yard. Close to UBC & bus, Lord Byng High School district.

MLS®: V512224 Finished Floor Area: 2060.0 sqft.
    Property Type: House Lot Frontage: 46.0 ft.
    Basement: Partially Finished Lot Depth: 121.9 ft.
    Bedrooms: 4 Age: 82
    Bathrooms: (Full:2, Half:0)

Features: Fireplace
    Something like this would run you about $120K here in Idaho. No wonder we were just named the third largest city in the PacNW. Everyone must be moving here for the low housing costs.
    Rampage

"Beware the good assumptions in life, the light at the end of the tunnel is probably an oncoming train!!"

I did the Vertical Cure Challenge on April 9th, and did 71,860' on a board (8:30am - 4:05pm). Still hold the snowboarding record.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...22292056iQRMSe

Quote Originally Posted by Snow Nymph
    I did the Vertical Cure Challenge on April 9th, and did 71,860' on a board (8:30am - 4:05pm). Still hold the snowboarding record.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...22292056iQRMSe
    very cool. corn-grats!

there was a similar event here but cancelled due to bad weather. a 24 hours all nighter.the winner last year did something brutally ridiculous like 75000m+. a skier, of course.