Level 1 Avalanche Course Feb 26-28, 2005

February 26-28, 2005

DAY 1 of the Avy Course: http://community.webshots.com/album/285797870EeBxfn
    Since we've been doing backcountry snowboarding, a few of us took a 3-day private Avalanche Course. Looking back at some of the trips I've done, I think I was lucky nothing happened. I understand more about avalanches, and learned more about decision making and risk management in avalanche terrain.

We got our splitboards Friday afternoon before we left, and got to try them out ! The backcountry will be fun on splitboards! No more slowshoeing for me!

---------------------
    DAY 2 of the Avy Course:: http://community.webshots.com/album/286994849WKFvzf

1/2 day classroom, 1/2 day field session (Terrain recognition and route finding. Bonding test demos and practice). After,we skinned higher and had a nice ride down.

---------------------

DAY 3 of the Avy Course:: http://community.webshots.com/album/287027733gopzOE
    We met in Mammoth. All day in the field, snowing in the morning (Mammoth Mtn reported 9"). Terrain recognition, route finding drills, decision making, bonding tests, and rescue scenario. After class ended (3pm) we skinned up to a ridge above Mammoth Rock and rode down. Fresh tracks for all of us!

Snow, cool shots... So, you like the new boards? And yes, taking the avy course is a big eye-opener. As I'm sure you heard over and over, it does just give you some basic tools, but it's the experience gained going out there and practising use of those tools that really provide the learning experience needed.

Glad to see you had fun as well. Welcome to the wonderfull world of splitboarding... BTW, you missed a good weekend full of it up in Tahoe this last weekend... Around 70 of us were out touring on different trips around the Donner Pass and Mt. Rose area... Pretty cool...
    Greg
    "NoKnees"

I wanted to go to the Splitfest, but Tahoe is a little too far for a weekend trip for me. Last time it took me 10 hrs because I was too tired to drive the whole way and kept pulling over for 10 minute naps. The drive home also took 10 hrs.

Love the splitboard, still have to make adjustments with the bindings. Might try to do a little bc Sunday. At least thats the plan for now.

I hear ya about the drive.... Had a few people down from the PNW that drove, and a few out from Colorado... A good time was had by all... Just cool seeing that many splitters is one place.

One of the routes you'll have to put on your list is the Mountaineer's route of Whitney. Couple of the guys did that via split and boot and it looked like a great time riding down. You do kinda need to catch the snow just right... Some others just tried it a week ago and got turned back do to a mix of near white-out conditions and bad snow...

Anyway, glad to see your boards finally showed up. I know you guys waited a long time for them...
    Greg
    "NoKnees"

Brazilian Whipping Boy

Avvy class gone bad...

You guys and gals hear about this?

Tragic.

http://geosurvey.state.co.us/avalanc...ingers03062005

Taking a class is definitely an eye opener, and a good thing to have under your belt if you'll ever be in the backcountry. Plus it's interesting. ;)

T

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by TBone
    You guys and gals hear about this?

Tragic.

http://geosurvey.state.co.us/avalanc...ingers03062005

Taking a class is definitely an eye opener, and a good thing to have under your belt if you'll ever be in the backcountry. Plus it's interesting. ;)

T
    Definitely gone bad, but it did make a great example (at a high cost) on how critical it is to keep to the correct terrain. Everything I've read indicates that the skier ventured onto a part of the slope the class was directed to stay away from, and then he fell on it, which triggered the avy. Defintely some in your face cause and effect.

He traveled 3000ft in the slide, and was actually found alive, but not breathing. They tried cpr, but could not revive him.. He still had one ski attached.
    Greg
    "NoKnees"