Question Packing Flies For Long Distance Traveling

Hello, Fellow Fly Flickers!
    As some of you know, a number of us will be making our way west soon for a few days of comraderie, fly flinging, and hopefully, string-stretching! I just was wondering how you all pack your flies for flights on commercial airliners. In the past, I've just loaded several fly boxes with what I thought I might need and packed them in my vest, which went into my baggage. This trip, I'm going to be bringing a fairly large number of tolerably large woolly buggers, sizes 2-6, as well as other large streamers and assorted bugs. In order to prevent misshapen flies, I would have to pack several fairly huge fly boxes to accomodate these beasts. I'm thinking of packing my stash in a 3700 or 3600 Plano box; the ones with the moveable dividers. Then, when I arrive at my destination, I will transfer enough flies for a day's fishing into one fly box, reducing the bulk I have in my vest. In the past, I have witnessed this method being used by the illustrious Messrs. Bob Hook anfd Dave Ecklund; they seemed to be pleased with this system. Any comments or additional suggestions?
    (Can you all tell I'm stretching it to get some discussion going on this board?!? ;) )

Talking

Re: "Can you all tell I'm stretching it to get some discussion going on this board?!?"

Let's see this post has been hanging here in limbo for how many hours ~ So how's it been working out for ya' so far?

Sorry Gary, I couldn't resist ~ it was up there in the strike zone. These guys ought to be paying you for your efforts, really, they should!

Besides, I just logged in, it welcomed me and thanked me for logging on. Yet when I went to post it told me that I wasn't logged on and didn't have permission to post....
    Other than bothering you, there doesn't seem to much interest here, so I'm off surfin' to a place with bigger waves and at least a few other folks on the beach.

If you need to reach me, put your finger in the little round hole and rotate it - or if you'd rather, just email me.
    "Cola Nut? Or the Un-Cola Nut? ~ You decide."

Hey Gary I'm here! And I even went to the trouble to take some pics for you. Walmart sells these Shimano gear bags for like 20-some bucks and they have 6 (count 'em, six)plastic bulk fly carrying boxes in them. I use them to store flies in bulk and the bag is great for taking your whole storehouse with you - just chuck it in the car, check it in at the airport and you're ready to go. Cheap but highly usable.

And I may have answered you sooner but I was out fishing today. I was looking for the big ones but only managed this cute little 26 incher. Life is hard.

Organization

Hey Gary...
    I use a G. Loomis systems binder to lug around some of my flies. It basically is a rectangular zippered pouch that has 10 heavy duty ziplock pockets on two binder rings. I put my flies on that rippled foam refill that are used for fly boxes. I am a chest pack user, so I just take out the appropriate foam pad and stick it in my chest pack. When I went to the Philippines, I put all my large saltwater flies in 2"x 5" ziplocks, and stuffed them in the pockets.

Here's a pic that I grabbed off the Cabela's site of the product. By the way, I use a larger sized one for my spare lines.

Hope ya find this helpful.

Dennis

Hey Gary!
    The same thing happened to me as Dave E. describes yesterday. I'd written a detailed response and when I'd attempted to submit it the system told me I was no longer logged on. Basically, I was on my way out the door yesterday to purchase a flybox to label and use specifically for that place. It's a large size box similar to the one in the photo that Dave's probably sent you a picture of. My extra supply of flies will be stored in one of those big "clear plastic" boxes that some shops use to store and sell their flies from. I'll also be bringing along some of my other trout flies and they are stored in c&f fliing system boxes that are stored in a clear plastic carrying case. The majority of those flies, though, will not be usefull because they're on the small side for what will be on the menu. All of what I've described fit easily in a duffle bag along with my cloths if I'm either driving or flying. I should take the time to post some photos of what I'm describing, but it could confirm that I'm slightly insane about this stuff....which could eventually lead to a group intervention.
    If everything goes right I should be able to tie, store and sort this stuff tonight and over the weekend, since I'm about a 1/3 into it as I write this.
    ;)

Hey Gary...
    I use a G. Loomis systems binder to lug around some of my flies. It basically is a rectangular zippered pouch that has 10 heavy duty ziplock pockets on two binder rings. I put my flies on that rippled foam refill that are used for fly boxes. I am a chest pack user, so I just take out the appropriate foam pad and stick it in my chest pack. When I went to the Philippines, I put all my large saltwater flies in 2"x 5" ziplocks, and stuffed them in the pockets.

Here's a pic that I grabbed off the Cabela's site of the product. By the way, I use a larger sized one for my spare lines.

Hope ya find this helpful.

Dennis