Spinning inserts!

So a friend is buying one of my fav used boards from me. I fully tune it, then remove the bindings to mount regular stance. Get the third mounting screw in and turn(others still half loose of course) and half way down the insert spins. Argh, I use a technique to quickly get the screw out, patch the newly made pin hole in the base, fill the hole so not to be used again, and move the binding up one insert as the board has many. No big deal until I re-mount the binding only to have two more of the inserts spin with the screws only half way in! WTF are the odds? Not a great day and I now have a board with some life left in it that will just hang on the wall now rather than spend hours re-inserting Makes me wish I had never taken the bindings off in the first place...
    MARK

Quote Originally Posted by MARK
    So a friend is buying one of my fav used boards from me. I fully tune it, then remove the bindings to mount regular stance. Get the third mounting screw in and turn(others still half loose of course) and half way down the insert spins. Argh, I use a technique to quickly get the screw out, patch the newly made pin hole in the base, fill the hole so not to be used again, and move the binding up one insert as the board has many. No big deal until I re-mount the binding only to have two more of the inserts spin with the screws only half way in! WTF are the odds? Not a great day and I now have a board with some life left in it that will just hang on the wall now rather than spend hours re-inserting Makes me wish I had never taken the bindings off in the first place...
    I have been fortunate not to have this problem on my boards, sucks to have happen. Just put an insert down the middle & call it a burton.
    e

it is possible to remove an insert and reseat it? i have a board that has one that is somewhat stripped - sometimes i can get a screw all the way in, sometimes not. right now i have some old binding mounted in it and i'm just not touching it anymore. the board is perfect so i don't want to muck it up any further.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripzalot
    it is possible to remove an insert and reseat it? i have a board that has one that is somewhat stripped - sometimes i can get a screw all the way in, sometimes not. right now i have some old binding mounted in it and i'm just not touching it anymore. the board is perfect so i don't want to muck it up any further.
    Yes you can remove an insert from the base side. In your situation you can re-tap the existing insert and then use a screw the next diameter up in size. Of course if you use a binding that fits your board best(centered across evenly already and an adjustable heel loop to center boot) you can go to the next insert set over, run the dial screws holes parallel with the board length(should generally do this with a binding having an adjustable heel loop anyway), and then slide it back over to as close to the original location as possible. You'd only lose maybe 3/4" max in your board stance width.

Anyway, I did a little of this, a little of that until 2am and made the board perfectly rideable again. Just got back from the slopes and all are satisfied, time for a nappy...
    MARK