Hybrid View

Question Craig's List or New?

Hi, I'm a solid intermediate snowboarder who would finally like to buy his own gear. Just need a basic directional freeride board that I can carve with -- no half-pipe or tricks. Question is, should I try to buy gear from someone from Craig's List (I live in Manhattan) or Ebay, or should I go to the shop and get something new -- and money's pretty tight. I also get the impression that I might really need to try on a few pairs of boots and maybe even strap into the boards with them to really get the right idea, which will be a lot harder to do if I have to make an appt to go to some guy's apt just to try on one pair of boots.

Help?

-Gabe

Good questions Gabe.... Here's my opinion, and it's just that... So take it for what it's worth..

Boots, spend the money and buy new if you can. If there is any single part of a setup that is critical to spend the money on, it's this. Without the right fitting boot, nothing else matters. So start here.

Having said that, you may be able to buy used and be okay. Some of the higher end boots have heat moldable(Intuition) liners that can be reshaped. Thirtytwo and Saloman have them on their better boots. This will give you the ability to reshape the liner to conform to your foot specifically assuming it hasn't already been baked too many times... Try new boots on at shops to figure out the correct size, flex, etc, then look around to see what might be available on Craig's List or Ebay...

Boards and bindings I'm usually fine with buying online, etc... Just make sure you know what you want first, as once you buy it, it's yours. I've bought 1 set of bindings and 3 boards so far, and been totally happy on all counts...
    Greg
    "NoKnees"

Question Heat moldable (Intuition) boot liners

Thanks for the advice, Noknees. When you say that the boot liner might be able to be reshaped, do you mean by actually heating it up somehow and doing something to it (i.e. taking it to a shop and having someone mess with it), or that just by wearing it for a little while it would take the shape of my foot? Thanks!

-Gabe

boots

Quote Originally Posted by gabe
    Thanks for the advice, Noknees. When you say that the boot liner might be able to be reshaped, do you mean by actually heating it up somehow and doing something to it (i.e. taking it to a shop and having someone mess with it), or that just by wearing it for a little while it would take the shape of my foot? Thanks!

-Gabe
    My 2 cents-
    I've bought many boards and bindings on ebay. THey've all been fine. Just make sure you have an idea what that board is worth before you start bidding, search around a little, because I've seen people pay more for a board on ebay than they could have gotten it somewhere else online. I personally have bought a couple of boards used of ebay, and been very happy with all of them. You can get a good used board with plenty of life left in it for $70 on ebay. Make sure they have pictures though!
    boots-unless you've tried them on in a shop first but find a better deal on ebay, I would buy them at the shop and new. If you do buy used, some of the thermo liners can be remolded. They can do it at shop for you for a few bucks (maybe 10-20), or you can do it at home in your oven very carefully. I have a recipe somehwere at home, I'll see if I can find it. It's easiest to do it at a shop. They will NOT really reshape without a high temperature bake. I suppose they may eventually after many days of ride remold to you feet without the bake, but it would be a lot of days of crappy fit in the meantime!

Smile Thanks for the help!

Just that. Thanks for the advice folks.