Thread: Winterpark

Winterpark

For all the Coloradans...did I get that right?

Buddy of mine wants to do a long weekend trip to Winterpark. Friend of his recommended it.

What I've heard is that the crowds are ridiculous and the terrain is so-so. Looking for some insight on whether it's worth the trip or I should try to convince him that we need to look elsewhere.

Thanks in advance,
    Kevin
    I love the fat boards for the pow pow...

Brazilian Whipping Boy

Winter Park's not bad

Not sure what else you're into. If you're into partying, the nightlife at Winter Park isn't as good as say Breckenridge, Vail, or Aspen.

Terrain's not bad. Mary Jane's pretty good, Parssen (sp?) Bowl is good once you get down into the trees. Crowds can be a pain on the weekends. I've gotten to appreciating Winter Park, especially the Mary Jane side this year. You can also hike Berthoud Pass and hitchhike back up.

If you're looking for a weekend trip to CO, I'd suggest staying at Keystone where you can drive a short distance and hit A-Basin, (hopefully the wall's open) Loveland, Keystone, or Breck and party in either Keystone or Breck. You'll avoid weekend crowds at Loveland and A-Basin. You can also ride Loveland Pass and hitchhike back up. You can also do night riding at Keystone.

Aspen's another good bet with four mountains and good night life--check out Aspen Highlands for the best terrain.

Vail/Beaver Creek is another option. Crowds will be in full force at Vail, but the back bowls are very nice. Beaver Creek for some reason doesn't get crowded--especially the good runs.

What about Telluride/Silverton/Wolf Creek? You'd probably dig Wolf Creek or Silverton (lift access backcountry--$99 / day) if you're into pow and good terrain.

Weather's been sketchy lately...had plenty of good snow earlier, but it's been warm as a mofo lately.

T