Which Board and Size??

Gonna get a new board.
    Currently ride a 156 Lib Tech Jamie Lynn from 2001.

Wt: 185
    Boot Size: 9US
    Freeride
    Intermediate, 4 yrs riding
    Under $550 for the board

I dont go to the park. Freeride and some jumps only. Ride on the east coast and a couple of trips to Utah per year.

I would like to get a longer board since I think the board is alittle short for me. So i figured a longer board would help. I dont want something too long since I also ride in the ice on the east coast too. Any suggestions?

I was thinking of the Never Summer Brand (not any particular model) or another Lib Tech. The Magne Traction sounds cool for ice and powder(??) (any one have any experience with the Magne Traction ?)

Thanks for your help

Well, no one else is stepping up so I'll give a my quick 2 cents worth...

Yes, go longer... 159-164 range would be good for you. Especially since you are more freeride oriented. Normal boards would be fine as well, due to your boot size. You can get away with any of the standard waist widths from high 24's to mid 25's...

As for which boards? Too many to choose from... NS's freeride boards as nice due to the dampening. Makes them not a bad choice for ice. T5, Premier, etc... Titan would be a bit overkill... Ride's "No. 4" scored some points with me last week as it's a damper more friendly ride than their Timeless. It'd be a bit more civilized on hardpack. Lib Tech are supposed to be good these, but I haven't tried any of the their more recent boards on hardpack.... Just older stuff in fluff..

I'm sure someone else can chip in a few words.. Mark, any tips for the east coast folks?
    Greg
    "NoKnees"

"Howzit Brah"

Yeah, Step up....

I just went from a 152 to a 157 and I'm only 5' '7''/ 150 lbs. This is best change I've made since switching from boxers to thongs. jk... Hey, I too mostly freeride and I just picked up a Option Kevin Saslone (last years model) and it does everything. Its made me a better rider... not that I was a bad rider to start, its because the smaller board would chatter and I'd lose an edge.

Rich

my useless opinion

I would go with a Never Summer, in the 160 range. Never Summers ride bigger than they are, i.e. it will be as stable as a longer board, but still give you some maneuvarability (that is horrible spelling!). They are a little heavy, but that won't matter on ice!
    Maybe even longer. I ride a 164 as my standard board, and am160. I've never ridden a NS, but have a few friends who ride them, and they definately seem to have an advantage screaming down the hardpack.

Rather than rattle off a bunch of boards, i'll just recommend what to look for. Go with a 161-162 length that has a waist width no wider than 25.40. Take your boots and bindings with you to check for proper toe/heel overhang and binding fit. From there, base your board choice on sidecut preference and flex patterns that you like in a board.
    MARK

Small feet

Quote Originally Posted by MARK
    Rather than rattle off a bunch of boards, i'll just recommend what to look for. Go with a 161-162 length that has a waist width no wider than 25.40. Take your boots and bindings with you to check for proper toe/heel overhang and binding fit. From there, base your board choice on sidecut preference and flex patterns that you like in a board.
    Yah, size 9 is small feet, so if you go too big and wide, you might have some troubles. The old Supermodels had a nice narrow waist for a long board (I have168, but no trouble with my 8 1/2 feet). But probably not stiff enough for east coast ice.

Thanks for the response everyone.

I know that everyone suggested a 160 board. But the shop people suggested 156. Also I called Mervin and they suggested a 156 or a 160 for the Magne traction. So now i have a dilemma.

Do you guys think it would really matter? I am going to PA next weekend and Whistler in a couple of weeks and would like to be on a new board..

Also Mark do you work in a shop and if you do which one? I am heading to DC soon.

Thanks Everyone

Quote Originally Posted by PleaseSnow
    Thanks for the response everyone.

I know that everyone suggested a 160 board. But the shop people suggested 156. Also I called Mervin and they suggested a 156 or a 160 for the Magne traction. So now i have a dilemma.

Do you guys think it would really matter? I am going to PA next weekend and Whistler in a couple of weeks and would like to be on a new board..

Also Mark do you work in a shop and if you do which one? I am heading to DC soon.

Thanks Everyone
    First let me say that probably about half of the people selling snowboards shouldn't be(including some that work for me ) Just a guess, but I bet that you're under 6' and the shop person was looking at your height or was basing their opinion off the fact that they ride a shorter board. With that said, nothing is more of a factor than your personal preference. You already have a 156 and have said that you think it's a little short. Regardless of what those here have said, that alone should be enough to indicate that you might want to go longer. I weigh 180 and ride a 162 for my everyday board(both freeride and park). I have a friend that is a sweet freerider, weighs 145 and hits mostly PA on a 168cm. I use a 168 as well when I ride with him. Like I said, personal preference. Generally speaking, it takes about a 3cm or more jump in length to tell the difference lengthwise in a board. One thing that a longer board will defintely help with around here is blasting through the crud. If you decide to go 156 anyway, I'd rent a board for Whistler because a 156 is going to be a bit short for freeriding. As for my location, I live in MD and generally ride PA locally. I am now running a store called Shenk and Tittle in Bethesda/Rockvlle. Let me know when you will be riding locally and we can meet up. Perhaps you can try a longer board and see if you like the length before making a decision.
    MARK

Wave-Maker / Pot-Stirrer

Talking Demo days

Another thing you might want to try is hitting up the demos. I tried several boards last year during our "Demo Days." Since not all boards ride the same, I rode many different styles and lengths. This gave me the chance to get a feel for what I might need when I am ready to purchase a new deck, for free. Remember, just cause it works for your friends doesn't necessarily mean it will work for you. But with those little feet of yours, you should have no problems getting a short deck if you should decide that's what you need. LOL!!
    Rampage

"Beware the good assumptions in life, the light at the end of the tunnel is probably an oncoming train!!"

Alright i went out and bought a 160 Lib tech Magne Traction. Thanks for everyones help.
    I cant wait to ride. Too bad the weather sucks down here. So I am going to Washington DC..lol

Mark can you recommend some places to go up there?

Thanks everyone

Quote Originally Posted by PleaseSnow
    Alright i went out and bought a 160 Lib tech Magne Traction. Thanks for everyones help.
    I cant wait to ride. Too bad the weather sucks down here. So I am going to Washington DC..lol

Mark can you recommend some places to go up there?

Thanks everyone
    The weather here has been insanely strange with today probably up around 70 degrees! I'd check out Whitetail, PA probably, but nothing right now is going to be very good.

www.skiwhitetail.com
    MARK