Hybrid View

Vans Designer Looking For Insight

hi there, my name is John and I'm a new designer with the vans equipment group. I'm starting on my research phase and would be very interested in hearing what the users of their equipment have to say about the Vans products. We make (SWITCH BINDINGS, AGENCY BINDINGS, PRO-TECT HELMETS, AND VANS SNOWBOARD BOOTS)

Please let me know how your experiences were with any of these products
    (please include your gender,age, which product you use, how often you board..... and why you like to snowboard) Any constructive comments that you can give will help me to design better equipment for you guys!!!!! Thanks

Wave-Maker / Pot-Stirrer

Thumbs up Vans Fan

I've been wearing Vans for about 3 years now. I love my 02 D Franks. I have a pair of BOAs as well. I've tried most of the Vans line, as well as Burton and Solomon. A few things that have been problems for me deal with wide foot issues. There really isn't much in the way of comfort zone when it comes to wide feet. If it's too tight, and this goes for Solomon's and Burton's boots too, you have to get a half or whole size larger to get some comfort. Well, binding heel cups stay the same size, so as you're getting larger in the boot, the tighter the heel is in the cup. Or in my case, the quicker the heel of the boot gets trashed by the binding. Plus, my heel moves around in the boot when I make quick transitions. But I've seen this in other boots as well. But because Vans have a more flexible back (softer), I usually am not bothered by it. However, my old Solomon's used to make my feet (heel) constantly blister. If the heel was a bit tighter, or the toes a bit wider, I don't think there would be any I could gripe about!! Well, maybe a little griping, but that's just me, lol!! By the way, just for reference, I use Ride EX bindings and Ride MiG bindings, both large. Hope this can help some!!
    Rampage

"Beware the good assumptions in life, the light at the end of the tunnel is probably an oncoming train!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Keoni
    hi there, my name is John and I'm a new designer with the vans equipment group. I'm starting on my research phase and would be very interested in hearing what the users of their equipment have to say about the Vans products. We make (SWITCH BINDINGS, AGENCY BINDINGS, PRO-TECT HELMETS, AND VANS SNOWBOARD BOOTS)

(please include your gender,age, which product you use, how often you board..... and why you like to snowboard) Any constructive comments that you can give will help me to design better equipment for you guys!!!!! Thanks
    Another 70's skate movie like Dogtown would be nice. There's a lot of other riders from that period, Stacey just scratched the surface with the Z-boy's video.
    Thanks

Hi John,

I am owner of several snowboarding products that Van's markets: Switch bindings, Pro-Tec Helmets and Vans Snowboard boots. I am a 43 year old male who snowboards 4 to 6 times per month during winter in Southern Ontario.

I own several pairs of Type N Switch bindings for 3 of my 4 boards and have been very happy with their performance (my 4th board is alpine board with Trenchdigger 1 bindings).
    Southern Ontario has small ski hills and I enjoy the ease and convenience of the Switch bindings. I had even used strap set up before buying my first pair of Switch A66's five years ago. However, the step-in bindings market acceptance has been waning over the years as evidenced by fewer product offerings by most major manufacturers such as Burton, K2, etc. I hope that Vans continues to market Switch bindings as they still have a place in the market among instructors, patrolers and satisfied consumers such as myself.

To get into these bindings, I use both Van Isotopes and Van Mach N compatible boots.
    The Isotopes are the best linerless boots that I have owned and use it for half-days. The Machs have liners and are equally as comfortable as an all day boot.

Finally, I own a Pro tec helmet with the flaming green skulls(can't remember the model) and it fits my melon better and is more comfortable than my old Burton Red. Plus it looks cool!

If you need further information, please contact me on this post or via e-mail.

Hello Doug,

Thanks for your insight and constructive comments. I'm glad that you enjoy your Switch bindings and Vans boots. I'm curious as to if you knew that Vans owned Switch before your went out and bought your Vans boots. There has been some talk as to if people should be more aware about this collaboration.

Also, unfortunately Vans was bought out by an investment company (VF) a few months ago. Now there is a lot of talk around the office about that company making some changes to the product line. Hopefully they will keep their step-in bindings in their efforts to consolidate and make Vans more profitable.

If you truly enjoy Switch and want VF to know, you may want to email them or write a letter. I hope that they will realize how many step-in customers enjoy their bindings. I will keep you guys posted on what I hear..... ;)

Email Vans at: vanscustserv@vfc.com

Or write:
    Vans, Inc.
    Attn: Customer Service
    15700 Shoemaker Ave.
    Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670

Hello Doug,

Thanks for your insight and constructive comments. I'm glad that you enjoy your Switch bindings and Vans boots. I'm curious as to if you knew that Vans owned Switch before your went out and bought your Vans boots. There has been some talk as to if people should be more aware about this collaboration.

Also, unfortunately Vans was bought out by an investment company (VF) a few months ago. Now there is a lot of talk around the office about that company making some changes to the product line. Hopefully they will keep their step-in bindings in their efforts to consolidate and make Vans more profitable.

If you truly enjoy Switch and want VF to know, you may want to email them or write a letter. I hope that they will realize how many step-in customers enjoy their bindings. I will keep you guys posted on what I hear..... ;)

Email Vans at: vanscustserv@vfc.com

Or write:
    Vans, Inc.
    Attn: Customer Service
    15700 Shoemaker Ave.
    Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670

Hi John,

I knew that Switch had been acquired by Vans prior to my purchase and there was an obvious link between the two at websites in previous years. As I work in the investment industry, Vans had been publicly traded since 1991 until the recent acquisition by VF Jeanswear.

I will also write customer service to let them know that the Switch bindings are superior product to the remaining competitors (i.e. Burton) in the step-in market.

Good luck with your career at Vans!
    Doug

I'm not sure how large Switch bindings sales are. Usually, companies are very pro-active & tend to trim the fat. I would think they would invest more into the traditional bindings & maybe give Switch the boot or they have to do a major overhaul. The step-in market is doing poorly, but the hybrid systems are the next evolution, but are not a guranteed success. Burton & K2 have tried, but they still need a lot of work. Drake is investing into the market as well as another huge company(which hasn't done bindings in the past). I could be very well be wrong, but I would assume that unless the Switch department does a huge overhaul on the binding then it's done. Congrates on the new job & I think it's a good idea to go on forums like this one. There are lots of smart loyal riders on this board, but it's small enough to have mature discussions.
    e