Are we there yet?

Hmmm.... I guess not. C'mon!!!!!
    Canaria
    "...my madness is my love for mankind" Vaslav Nijinsky

snowboarder mtbiker coder mikeG's Avatar

Question

Quote Originally Posted by CanariaChick

Hmmm.... I guess not. C'mon!!!!!
    Where is Alpental? Anybody ride Tahoe area yet?

We're getting there...

Breckenridge

But, it's not Silverton
    Tantrum

"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeG
    Where is Alpental? Anybody ride Tahoe area yet?
    Alpental is 45 minutes from Seattle, and while it still needs more snow to deliver, it can get pretty darn close to heaven on a good day!
    Canaria

snowboarder mtbiker coder mikeG's Avatar
    I miss living in CO .. +- 1hrs drive to A-Basin and nice Loveland backcountry ... and pleanty of snow. The 4+ hrs drive to Tahoe cement is a bummer these days.

I've been checking their site daily. Alpental is one of the best ski areas in the world for riding & at the same time one of the worst. Suprised they are this hurting for snow. I miss the big pow days with nobody there,not powder tuesdays(too crowded). I wish Tahoe had something like Alpental. Tahoe is good though, gets good snow & I can ride powder a week or 2 after a storm, can't complain.
    e

Yah, Tahoe is good for this time of the year. Had some nice light pow to wind packed dry pow Sat,Sun... Well, light by Tahoe standards.. Not exactly "Blower" but good. Coverage still has a bit to be desired though for the 'off-piste' stuff, but you can still have some fun out there.

And if you don't mind a little hike, so some sweet shots from the Mt. Tallac area on Monday/Tuesday. It's been crispy cold out since the last snow, so the protected slopes are holding some nice real powder still.
    Greg
    "NoKnees"

Quote Originally Posted by NoKnees
    Yah, Tahoe is good for this time of the year. Had some nice light pow to wind packed dry pow Sat,Sun... Well, light by Tahoe standards.. Not exactly "Blower" but good. Coverage still has a bit to be desired though for the 'off-piste' stuff, but you can still have some fun out there.

And if you don't mind a little hike, so some sweet shots from the Mt. Tallac area on Monday/Tuesday. It's been crispy cold out since the last snow, so the protected slopes are holding some nice real powder still.
    This is where the light snow argument comes into play. Tahoe snow is dry in comparison to the NW. Actually don't like it very dry. Dry snow isn't that great for drops & steeps.
    e

Yeah but...

Quote Originally Posted by elex
    Dry snow isn't that great for drops & steeps.
    It's much easier to shovel 8" of CO champagne powder than 2" of Sierra cement.
    Tantrum

"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Tantrum
    It's much easier to shovel 8" of CO champagne powder than 2" of Sierra cement.
    I hear ya. The last snow we got a few days ago was about 10" of heavy,then 8" or so of dry which was much easier to shovel. But I'm glad we got that heavy stuff first, covers things up better. Ask anybody that rides with me, I freakin hate rocks. I've broken boards & worked myself something fierce on them. I grew up on heavy snow, I don't need it that heavy since I'm a puss now.
    pussE

Now I didn't want to embarrass you all with what I get to ride tomorrow, but I just couldn't resist...

Jealous much?
    -Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by REON
    Now I didn't want to embarrass you all with what I get to ride tomorrow, but I just couldn't resist...

Jealous much?
    I hope you get 1st tracks. They must have used the same ice rink that you did. Have fun, you'll be riding more than I will tomorrow. 20 hours of travel coming up,yahoo!
    e

Too true...

the CO powder doesn't do much for coverage. After a snow, if the sun comes out, the powder rapidly melts. The thick cement lays down a nice cold layer to collect the powder.

And REON, what flavor syrup will you take for your on-slope icee?
    Tantrum

Scrap-a-thon

Quote Originally Posted by REON
    Jealous much?
    LOL!!! That's too funny, did the whole town put their freezer scrappings together for opening day?

You shall have fun regardless! Think about it, there are people in flat countries that all they got to get stoked, are indoor plastic-brush carpets! (wow, that sounded awfully like my mom, when she would tell me to finish all my food) Just don't get out of bounds, no due to risk of avalanches, but your board may not survive...

P.S. You are not alone, I'm going riding tomorrow, even if all I find are a few bunches of snow to shovel together to build some sort of delirious contraption...
    Canaria

"Howzit Brah"

Now for my 2 cents....

Reon,

Sick pic of of Mt.Hill. jk... looks alot like Boreal at Donner summit (Tahoe) only without the snow. Can you board, golf and MT. bike at the same time?..jk ....Okay enough w/da jk's What counts is having a 12 pk and riding w/some friends... RikE

Haha, you all make me laugh. But Canaria was right, it was awesome! There was only 1 way down, but no matter how many times I ride that trail(s) I still find something new to keep it fun. To be fair, they were blowing snow all day and the "mountain" was in much better shape.

You're all probably going to laugh anyway though...

PS Who wants to lend me their couch for winter break?
    -Ryan