200 greatest songs...

Rolling Stone has released the <a href="http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,11433925%255E1702,00.html">200 Greatest Songs</a>. Bob Dylan at #1?! WTF? His singing sucks! Granted, his lyrics were pretty good but how could you stand to listen to his voice? There are some good ones but I wouldn't put most of them that high. Very heavy on the 50s and 60s. And not an 80s song to be found! Your thoughts?
    Tantrum

"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Beck -Loser #200?

and no 80's tunes?!!?!

and where is Flock of seagulls?!

...I ran, I ran so far away ay ay.....

That's what I'm talking about...

How can you have a list of 200 greatest songs and not have the "Gulls represented? It's a crime.
    Tantrum

"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Tantrum
    Rolling Stone has released the <a href="http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,11433925%255E1702,00.html">200 Greatest Songs</a>. Bob Dylan at #1?! WTF? His singing sucks! Granted, his lyrics were pretty good but how could you stand to listen to his voice? There are some good ones but I wouldn't put most of them that high. Very heavy on the 50s and 60s. And not an 80s song to be found! Your thoughts?
    Way too many tunes for only a 200 list. If you're sticking to the older stuff, where was Buddy Guy and "Mustang Sally"?
    MARK

I heard...

the list is actually the 500 greatest songs but it was cut short for the Aussie paper. Are there really 500 unique songs out there?
    Tantrum

Bob Dylan #1

Quote Originally Posted by Tantrum
    I would have to agree with Rolling Stone with their choice for #1. Bob Dylan is the best singer and has the best lyrics. The Beatles are nothing but bubble-gum. Dylan's songs never sound old or worn-out. He is by far the greatest song-writer of all time and a figure of incalculable influence on popular music. I think he is the most important individual ever in rock music.He has transcended every genre of music through the decades Because he can. Sometimes he was criticised for this, but it was genius. He does what he wants, not what the record label wants.He always did it that way, even before he was famous. No one else deserves to be #1.

You make some valid points...

I guess I don't see his genius in the same light. Does it strike anyone as fishy that a magizine called Rolling Stone chose "like a rolling stone" as the #1 song and chose a group called Rolling Stones as the #2 song? Is this a wind-up? But, you know what they say: Opionions are like a$$holes, everybody has one and they usually stink.
    Tantrum

where's my boobookitty?! evilninja's Avatar

80's song

Joy Division- love will tear us apart....1980....is on there. But that might be it. The list is a bit heavy handed on many of the same artists. It would be interesting to see a list that allows only one song from one artist.
    cheers!

chapell

More stats...

More than 200 of the top 500 were recorded in the 1960s and 144 came from the 1970s.

Only three songs from the present decade were considered good enough to make the top 500: Eminem's Lose Yourself was the highest at 166, while his track Stan was at 290. Outkast's Hey Ya featured at 180.

The Beatles have 23 tunes on the list, The Rolling Stones 14, and Dylan 12.

It appears, the judges were told to focus on the "rock 'n' roll years."
    Tantrum

True... A little biased it would seem, but not bad... Once again, it's still opinions.

80's recap..

15. The Clash, London Calling, 1980
    51. Grandmaster Flash and The Furious Five, The Message, 1982
    52. Prince, When Doves Cry, 1984
    58. Michael Jackson, Billie Jean, 1983
    84. Police, Every Breath You Take, 1983
    93. U2, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, 1987
    108. Prince, Little Red Corvette, 1983
    131. U2, With or Without You, 1987
    143. Prince, Purple Rain, 1984
    146. B-52's, Rock Lobster, 1979 (almost 80's)
    160. Public Enemy, Bring the Noise, 1988
    165. Tracy Chapman, Fast Car, 1988
    177. Tom Petty, Free Fallin', 1989
    179. Joy Division, Love Will Tear Us Apart, 1980
    187. AC/DC, Back In Black, 1980
    196. Guns N Roses, Sweet Child O Mine, 1987

Interesting mix across the board... Anyway, I thought Joy Division's Love Will Tear Us Apart was 79? Kinda thought Ian Curtis hung himself that year. Guess I could be wrong... Ah well...
    Greg
    "NoKnees"

Very interesting...

Interesting that DMC/Aerosmith didn't make it with "Walk this way" from 1986's Raising Hell. There has to be some significance in this song.

Quick google search shows "Love will tear us apart" was released as a 7" 3-song album in April 1980.
    Tantrum

Neomaxi Zoomdweebie Reverend SC's Avatar
    Stairway to Heaven at #31? What a joke.....

And no Pink Floyd? I guess Rolling Stone is still bummed about not getting any hookers or coke from them. Talk about a grudge.....
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.