Thread: vans boa

vans boa

so is there a decision on this yet?

good system?

Just returned mine on Sat...

Bought a mid-level Boa (can't remember model name). The boot was too damn stiff for my taste. I tried to break them in in the weeks before the season but to no avail. On the mountain, my toes went numb within 5 minutes of putting them on. Walking to the lift was like walking in ski boots as there was no flex. I tried various levels of tension on the boa system but it never felt right. On the slopes, I had no control as my toes were numb. They rode quite high on my shin and rubbed a nice raw spot on my right shin. Yuck!

When I returned the boots, I spoke to the shop guy and he described his summer break-in program. First, he keeps them in the bath room while he takes a shower then puts his wet feet in and wears them around the house. Then, he wears them outside in the Summer with no socks. This takes about 2 months. I didn't want to spend that much time breaking them in, especially with Tahoe in the next few weeks. So, I'm back to my Morrow boots from 1992. Ahhhh, perfect fit.
    Tantrum

"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

but is that an issue with the boa system or overall boot stiffness???

It's all operator error...

I probably didn't give it enough effort in breaking in the boot. The boa system was sweet in that I could really control how tight the "lacing" was. One thing that had me worried was the boa boot only has a 90 day warranty. The boots come with a replacement titanium "lace" but I was more concerned with the durability of the plastic eyeholes. I could imagine the titanium lace working back and forth on the plastic eyelets would eventually cut through it. The sales guy said no way but...
    Tantrum

"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Boa - One day riding... My 2 cents...

First, the ones I tried were some Flow prototypes... So, I'll only comment on the Boa part, and not the boot itself..

The Boa system was nice... Easy to work, tighten, loosen, no worries... Adjusted the fit nicely. Would be nice to see a way to lock off the tension so it's different between the lower foot (instep) and uppers. I hear some folks are working on this functionality, and this would make it perfect. As is, it was good.

Boot fit will always be an issue no matter the lacing mechanism. I don't think the boa system changes that fact much.

Now, can anyone speak to the longevity of the system? Wear and tear issues?
    Greg
    "NoKnees"

Maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by NoKnees
    Now, can anyone speak to the longevity of the system? Wear and tear issues?
    Sales dude said he's been kicking a pair for 3 years with no problems. How long has the boa been around?

Vans' warranty was 90 days on the boot. I'd expect it to be a bit more. Is this typical?
    Tantrum

Quote Originally Posted by Tantrum
    Sales dude said he's been kicking a pair for 3 years with no problems. How long has the boa been around?

Vans' warranty was 90 days on the boot. I'd expect it to be a bit more. Is this typical?
    The BOA itself won't make the boot stiffer, it's that they can usually come with a plastic tonuge,for distribution & so they don't tear the boot up.Flow has(has the patent)a little block on the cables so it will only adjust in the areas you want it to. I'm actually sold on them. The BOA does have problems like everything else,but it's an easy fix, any shop that carries BOA can do it. I witnessed AC,who cranks them down hard, have them stick so they wouldn't release & now his boots won't stay tight. He does put a huge amount of time in his boots & he does crank them down something fierce.All in all, I would say go for it & a boot should break in the easily the first day.

Quote Originally Posted by elex
    The BOA itself won't make the boot stiffer, it's that they can usually come with a plastic tonuge,for distribution & so they don't tear the boot up.Flow has(has the patent)a little block on the cables so it will only adjust in the areas you want it to. I'm actually sold on them. The BOA does have problems like everything else,but it's an easy fix, any shop that carries BOA can do it. I witnessed AC,who cranks them down hard, have them stick so they wouldn't release & now his boots won't stay tight. He does put a huge amount of time in his boots & he does crank them down something fierce.All in all, I would say go for it & a boot should break in the easily the first day.
    how does it compare to say the salomon system where you can lock down the lower part and tighten the uppers to whatever you want? Just way faster? Easier?

I have the salomon's and seriously can't imagine a better boot. I know each boot company sets their boots up on what they think a human foot is shaped like, and salomon have my foot as their example apparently. Warm to a fault, even on super cold days and comfy. The lace system is the best part since I can have the bottom and top at different degrees of tight depending on what is comfortable. A friend had the boa system and she liked it except that the cable kept pulling out from the twister. They have a tool included in the box for putting it back in and tightening it up...after I seriously tightened it, I don't think it ever came out again. Just best to have that tool with you (a small allen wrench if I recall correctly).

I also like how the salomons have a quick lacing system on the liners. Heal lift is not a problem for me.

Bill

I think Tbone and I have the same boots, the Dialogue, and the lacing system is great but my boots still aren't broken in, after a whole season (granted only maybe 15 days on them)...took T a while also as I recall....

the boas would be for a certain female friend..

Wave-Maker / Pot-Stirrer

Cool Boa

The boa boots are definitely one of those boots that fit into that ever-growing category of: Works for Me. This is where ten or so people try them out and everybody has a different view of how they work. They all say that the boot is good, but not really how. I wore a set of Vans with the BOA system. I felt that when it tightened down, it tightened down places I didn't like having tension on: ie. above my ankles. So I went back to my D Franks and my feet felt better. But I have a buddy who swears by them. I loves having the ability to tighten up his boots after they pack out a little through the day, even in heavy wet snow. So, it really comes down to how much pressure you like and where that would make getting these a necessity. Also, size and shape of your feet play into the mix a little, ie: wide feet with high arches... bad boot!! To each their own, I suppose.
    Rampage

"Beware the good assumptions in life, the light at the end of the tunnel is probably an oncoming train!!"