Thread: surf's up!!!!!

surf's up!!!!!

this true you think?

Surfer becomes a whale rider

SAN CLEMENTE, Calif. (AP) -- A surfer says the swell he was riding on a recent trip turned out to be more than just a wave -- it was a whale.

Spyros Vamvas, a 60-year-old San Clemente therapist, felt the ocean swirl under him and was lifted up by the giant mammal.

"All of a sudden I just felt, wow, this huge noise and bump," said Vamvas, "and it lifted my board up. I'm looking down, and there's just swirling water and I see barnacles on the back of the whale. I'm used to dolphins. This was different. It was huge."

Witnesses at Lasuen Beach on Monday morning began yelling.

"We were all screaming, 'Oh my God!"' said Mona Ferner, who was playing volleyball with her sister when she spied the whale.

Vamvas had no idea how big the whale was. Others on the beach guessed between 15 feet to 30 feet long, meaning the whale was likely a juvenile.

Vamvas, who has been surfing since he was 12, said the whale lifted him gently. "I never changed position on my board," he said.

Those who saw the incident said that after setting Vamvas back onto the water, the whale turned and headed out toward the open sea.

"It looked like the whale was obviously spooked," said Marine Safety Capt. Bill Humphreys, one of several lifeguards on the beach.

The sight of the whale scared a number of surfers out of the water, Humphreys said. Vamvas was the only one left in the surf line as the whale approached. Witnesses said he was looking out to sea in search of a wave and didn't appear to see the animal heading his way.

Vamvas said that his 6-foot, 10-inch surfboard wasn't damaged, though he did pinch the middle finger of his left hand between the whale and his surfboard.

I didn't find anything...

on snopes.com but it sounds a bit far-fetched. The guy's name, Spyros Vamvas, sounded like a dead-give-away that it was fake. The only Spryos Vamvas I found on the net was a Sigma Nu pledge at San Diego State Univ.
    Tantrum

"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Actually, here it is

trippy...

Whale Rider
    Canaria
    "...my madness is my love for mankind" Vaslav Nijinsky

Looks to be legit...

We were all screaming, 'Oh my God!'-- Mona Ferner, witness

Nothing like a sensational quote to grab your attention.
    Tantrum

"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Saw it on the local news when down south, interview with the guys and all. Seemed pretty legit with the additional witnesses provided. If it were just him, no way. He looked like the 60's were pretty good to him and his reality might be a subject to change without notice...

Either way, cool story...
    Greg
    "NoKnees"

Quote Originally Posted by NoKnees
    his reality might be a subject to change without notice...
    LOL
    Tantrum