Resorts without snow...

On Sunday my wife and I picked up our passes at Kirkwood. Nice to have that out of the way before the season starts. Don't want to worry about those long lines at the Season Pass office on the first day of the season...

While there we spent some time hiking a few of the lower runs on the mountain. Isn't it amazing to see what's under the blanket of snow? I mean, there are sooo many terrain features that just disappear by the time the snow fills in enough for the resorts to open. At Kirkwood one of the more impressive things to look at is the face on chair 10, better know as "The Wall". The upper few hundred feet are rock ledges and cliffs connected by short scree piles. It would take major work to try to climb up that thing. Yet, once a little snow is plastered to all that, it's not a big deal to ride down it. Parts of it are true verticle cliffs for about 20-40 feet in height, and even those become rideable as the snow piles on.

Anyway, just thinking aloud. A short hike in 70f weather at the base of my fav runs only reminded me how much longer I have to wait for my snowboarding fix...
    Greg
    "NoKnees"

Kirkwood

[QUOTE=NoKnees]While there we spent some time hiking a few of the lower runs on the mountain. Isn't it amazing to see what's under the blanket of snow? QUOTE]

Hey Greg! Hope to see you up there again this season. I've been wanting to hike around KW but I wasn't sure if they allowed that. They don't mind, huh? Got my pass too, they'll mail it to you if you fax a couple things in.

We were up in Volcano for a wedding on Saturday and crashed in Jackson for the night. Sunday we cruised up to Kirkwood to pick up the passes since we were close by. Save the effort and worries of our mail system.. ;)

Definitely be seeing you up there this winter. I'm hoping for some weekdays again and my wife will be making sure we get up there for a lot of weekends as she missed out a lot last year. Either way, I'll be on the hill...

As for hiking around, I wasn't too sure of it myself. They closed down the lift served mountain biking a week or two back. Some folks were biking up the trails, and cruising down on their own still, so we figured we'd just go for a walk... No one stopped us or complained, so no worries... It was kinda cool, but weird... Things look pretty different in the summer.. The snow just flattens out everthing.. Takes away imperfections, but can also remove some cool character as well. Just a good contrast to see the difference...
    Greg
    "NoKnees"

What a shame...

Cali resorts are only good for hiking these days while CO resorts have snow and we're making turns.

Tantrum

"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Is that super early for you guys?

Not early for snow...

but definitely too early for the amount they got. Snow level was 2200 meters last night. It'll start snowing soon enough.
    Tantrum

"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.