Thread: women's boots

women's boots

wow! sparkly new forums ...

I have a question - I just picked up a pair of Technine Marc Frank Montoya bindings for pretty cheap (I love end of season sales). However, I have no boots to wear with them. (I've been sticking with step-ins, but I think it would be fun to ride both step-ins and straps, especially since I teach a lot of beginners, and will be better able to answer gear questions, etc etc). Anyway, I have no regular boots. I know I'm supposed to get the boots first, but this was the last pair of bindings, and I couldn't pass them up.

I need some advice, info, commentary, suggestions on any of the women's boots out there. I primarily freeride (steeps, trees, backcountry) with a limited amount of park and pipe, so some stiffer boots would be better. I've been using BOA boots (vans) recently, and I love them. But I'm open to other brands as well (K2, DC, Northwave??). They don't have to be top of the line - just solid.

Thanks!

I'd just get out there and start trying on whatever you can find at your local shops. Take your board and bindings with you to determine toe/heel overhang and binding fit. Of course try on a Salomon too and give a report on what you think of the Baltimore toe strap
    MARK

I'm assuming the bindings you bought are correct for your boot size. I started out w/ vans but I'm wearing DC boots now. I love the pump system. If you have wide feet, I'd stay away from Northwave and Salomon's. Best suggestion is go to a local shop that has a good selection and try on as many as possible for the best fit. Good luck!

Neomaxi Zoomdweebie Reverend SC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HomerSimpson
    I'm assuming the bindings you bought are correct for your boot size. I started out w/ vans but I'm wearing DC boots now. I love the pump system. If you have wide feet, I'd stay away from Northwave and Salomon's. Best suggestion is go to a local shop that has a good selection and try on as many as possible for the best fit. Good luck!

Whoa, a little inaccurate here, at least regarding women's boots. My wife has some '02 Quest Boa's, some '02 Salomon Kiana's and some '04 Northwave Lady Legends. We have been on a quest to find the perfect boot, still unfulfilled. Feet suck because they are all shaped differently, some bigger over the top, some wider at the ankles, some narrow at the toes.

And besides all that, women have the additional problem of their feet changing shape and size monthly (ahem...). We discovered this really can wreck your boot experience because the Salomon's feel good for two weeks in a row, then they're tight and cause "tinglies". We finally made the connection...

Now, in women's boots, Salomon's run a little narrow, Northwave's run a little wider. It's not a "wide" boot, but size for size they generally run wider than a Salomon. Northwave's also are sized a little differently, if you wear a 6 in a Salomon, you may need a 6.5 in Northwave.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Thumbs up thanks everyone

I knew I would have to get out there and just try stuff on, so I did. I really liked the pump system of the DCs, but the boots I tried on everywhere had side-lacing on the liner, which aggravated an old wakeboarding ankle injury I have. I wasn't too thrilled with the Northwaves I tried on either. I ended up getting a good deal on another pair of Vans (and even the fit differences between individual boot models is amazing!) - the Womens Omni BOA. The shape of the toe area on the boot was especially perfect for my foot.

I'm going to try and head out and catch an afternoon session today to make sure my binding adjustments are all good, and them I'm off to Utah this weekend!