Thread: Houston, TX

Question Houston, TX

First business trip with the new job, and well, what's there to do in Houston? Honestly don't think I'll have much extra time, but ya never know... I'll be there next week Monday-Thurs nights, flying home Friday..

Good times...
    Greg
    "NoKnees"

You could bring some wet-ones and see if you get slapped while trying to remove excess makeup that overpopulates the region. On second thought bring a shovel. ;)

Brazilian Whipping Boy

Bunda's from Houston...I'll get on her to post some info

Have fun, and try not to sweat too much.

T

Brazilian Whipping Boy

Bunda's swamped with work, but...

Downtown is apparently the new happening place to go.

Gingerman (not downtown) is an old favorite of everyone.

The Village area has cool shops and restaurants.

The Galleria and NASA are about the only places to sightsee. (Galveston/ocean about 45 minutes to an hour away from downtown I think?)

If Mehug's in town, I think I saw a PBR brewery last time I was down there.

T

Houston's my second home...

I usually go there about 6-8 times per year to visit the UT Medical Center and usually don't venture too far. The med center is south of downtown but there has been a big push to rehabilitate it and it's now a hip place to hang. Lots of new shops retaurants and even an aquarium. A lot depends on where you will be staying as traffic is HORRENDOUS. It seems as if every major highway is under constuction. If you're staying downtown, no worries but if you are elsewhere, it may be too much of a hassle.
    Tantrum

"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

I'll be at the Courtyard by Marriot Houston NW on Louetta Rd where'ev that is...

Thanks for the ideas... So, what I see is nothing "Not to miss"... You'd think it hot/humid places an overuse of makeup wouldn't be something people would do, but I've seen it and it still frightens me. That and the "hair bears" with their poofed up bangs, etc.. Is this still big there too? Been a while... Used to be a "valley" thing here in Cali as well... Makes for funny people watching though.

Anyway, thanks again...

Off to grab some lunch..
    Greg
    "NoKnees"

Hmmm...

That is quite a ways from downtown, about 20 miles I'd say. If you have time, I'd say give driving to downtown a try as there is not much in that neck of the woods. Are you going out to visit HP?
    Tantrum

"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Yah, lucky guess.. I'm thinking they have a significant presence there as when I called to book my hotel they immediately asked if I was with HP.
    Greg
    "NoKnees"

Lucky my ass!...

I know everything. Or so my 6-year-old says.
    Tantrum

Quote Originally Posted by Tantrum
    I know everything. Or so my 6-year-old says.
    My nephew is 6, he respect for me isn't as good as your sons.NJ can you visit the house where Dallas was fimed.I want to JR shirts.Texas is small,should be easy to find.
    Who shot E?

Quote Originally Posted by elex
    My nephew is 6, he respect for me isn't as good as your sons.NJ can you visit the house where Dallas was fimed.I want to JR shirts.Texas is small,should be easy to find.
    Who shot E?
    Who just typed that crap? I must be tired.

Quote Originally Posted by NoKnees
    I'll be at the Courtyard by Marriot Houston NW on Louetta Rd where'ev that is...
    Good lord, they've got you sitting out in the middle of nowhere. But in any case, what Tbone and Tantrum said. They got a nice rail system in downtown from what I heard now. You could always catch an Astros game at the new stadium. Kemah Boardwalk is between Houston and Galveston and has good seafood there (I recommend the Aquarium). There are a ton of museums (Nature Science, Fine Arts etc..) and Zoo in the Hermann Park area (also near the medical center). Bellaire Blvd is where Chinatown is if you're hankering for some good Chinese food which I think easily rivals SF and LA.

I wouldn't recommend Galveston, but in all honesty, it's not even a pretty beach. Water is always muddy and it smells like a sewer. However, if you're an architecture/history buff, then it's a decent place to visit. Moody Gardens is also in Galveston.

And if you need to know about adult entertainment clubs...
    "I better not feel both of your hands on my back"

- Overheard during a rectal exam

Lol!!!!