Talking Honeymoon Suggestions?

OK. So even though the wedding/honeymoon isnt for another year....apparently we need to book super early since we're using miles. And we dont want to have to connect like 5 or 6 times. yikes!

So here's what we want. Beachy, Tropical Location. Nothing where we'd actually want to "see" what was there -- in other words, not Italy or Greece or a place where we'd have an itinerary. We mostly want to be lazy, sit around on the beach, play golf/get a massage, be silly in love and drink a little too ;). I quite, somewhat remote location - not a really big touristy spot like Cancun or whatever. BUT, we also dont want to be completely isolated. Want to snorkle, maybe scuba dive, deep sea fish, boat tours, maybe parasail? and whatever else beach places might offer in terms of activities.

Just to give you a place to start...we've been thinking in terms of places like Hawaii, Figi, Tahiti, Cabo, St. something or other island ..........

So, bring it on. I'm ready for suggestions.

My advice...

skip all those places you mentioned and head to Costa Rica. Mrs. T and I spent 10 days there and it had ALL of the activities you mentioned, plus a whole lot more. The dollar is strong there, plenty of things to do (or not! ), and the people are VERY friendly and speak great english. We used United miles to fly first class on Mexicana (Star Alliance partner) with a connection in Mexico City, which isn't the best airport in the world but it will do.

We spent time in Tamarindo on the North West coast, Quepos on the South East coast (just outside of CR's biggest national park - Manuel Antonio), and some time in San Jose. If I had to do it again, I'd spend less time in Tamarindo (desert), visit Arenal volcano (tropical rain forest), and more time in Quepos (beaches, jungle, monkeys, etc). If you go, I can give you the name of a guide in Quepos who is the best. He's a Tico (Costa Rican) naturalist who grew up in Toronto. His company offers tours of the national park, jungle, you name it. I can also recommend places to stay. If you are interested, PM me and we can talk.
    Tantrum

"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

We are hitting Sandles in Jamaica and going the all-inclusive route for 10 days... Pay up front, no more costs... You get use of any of their other Sandals resorts on the island while you are there as well. Not cheap when you look at the price at first, but then figure you're not dropping a dime on food or drinks, or most other basic activities while you ar there. Tipping is forbidden.. Gotta like that..

But hey, that's us..
    Greg
    "NoKnees"

Sandals is nice...

Mrs. T and I stayed at Sandals St. Lucia for our honeymoon. Mrs. T became best buds with the bartender at the swim up bar. He served Pina Coladas out of an old 7-11 slurpee machine. Yummy!
    Tantrum

"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

Thumbs up Wow, that sounds fantastic...

You can either chill in the purty scenery, or go do lots of stuff. What time of year did you and the Missus go? Was it super hot and humid?

You know I love my Hawaii, but I think it's a better place to go for a regular-old vacation. Too expensive to do what Dr. B wants. But Dr. B, if you guys are leaning in that direction, give me a holler, and I'll do what I can to hook you up.

Tantrum

Whoa, you better believe it was fantastic...

We went in February when it was nice and warm but not too hot. It was humid but tolerable, especially considering it was freezing in CO.
    Tantrum

Okay, Julian the travel dude suggests Reunion, a little island off the east coast of Africa. It's a tropical island, topped with a nice tall volcano, beaches, plenty of vegetation, and relatively few tourists. Mauritius is nearby, and has fewer mountains but apparently better beaches.

Quote Originally Posted by DrBunda
    OK. So even though the wedding/honeymoon isnt for another year....apparently we need to book super early since we're using miles. And we dont want to have to connect like 5 or 6 times. yikes!

So here's what we want. Beachy, Tropical Location. Nothing where we'd actually want to "see" what was there -- in other words, not Italy or Greece or a place where we'd have an itinerary. We mostly want to be lazy, sit around on the beach, play golf/get a massage, be silly in love and drink a little too ;). I quite, somewhat remote location - not a really big touristy spot like Cancun or whatever. BUT, we also dont want to be completely isolated. Want to snorkle, maybe scuba dive, deep sea fish, boat tours, maybe parasail? and whatever else beach places might offer in terms of activities.

Just to give you a place to start...we've been thinking in terms of places like Hawaii, Figi, Tahiti, Cabo, St. something or other island ..........

So, bring it on. I'm ready for suggestions.

VERY VERY INTERESTING!

Mostly because my best friend also suggested Costa Rica. She just came back from there and said it was awesome. We're going to look into it.

Recent developments -- turns out T's parents have a time share they usually use every year, but are giving us a week at their time share anywhere we want for part of our honeymoon. So now the question is......where can we get a place?? Is it possible they might have a place in Costa Rica? Who knows. Going to find out. Hawaii might be out of the question purely because there are family friends of T's who live out there and would want to come visit us. I'm thinking NOT!!! And I dont want to have to deal with getting out of it or whatever so it might just be easier to go somewhere else. Fiji and Tahiti are still in the running, now Costa Rica...and maybe some of the suggestions below?

Wow. That looks awesome! Will have to look into it........

That looks cool too!!! And i've always wanted to learn how to surf. Hmmmmmmm.......

I like all inclusive deals too.....but we will probly either use Hotel Points or use T's parents time share to cut costs, which kind of rules those out, unfortunately.

Jamaica ROCKS!!

East coast of Africa.....Hmmm......Will look into it......

What time of year will it be?

Not sure if hurricane-season or rainy-season or hot-season will be a factor in any of your potential destinations? Of course, you're a Brazilian baby, so you can handle the heat, but T on the other hand is a delicate flower...

hehe -- yeah, i can handle the heat baby!!

It will be next June. Early June.....

Go to Fiji

Go to Matangi Island in Fiji. That was were i was married 2 years ago and it is everything you are looking for. Just go ahead and look it up on the internet.

Nice looking place... Maybe we'll take an anniv. trip there sometime... Now if only they included drinks in that price it'd be even better.. ;) Not cheap, but not bad considering how remote and private it is...

How much did the airfair run you with transfers to the island? (if you remember)
    Greg
    "NoKnees"

440.00 per person

Quote Originally Posted by Static
    440.00 per person
    Nice... Not a bad deal at all... Too late for my honeymoon coming up, but I'll have to put that one down for future reference..

Thanks..

G
    Greg
    "NoKnees"

was just there on my honeymoon.

Quote Originally Posted by DrBunda
    East coast of Africa.....Hmmm......Will look into it......
    We were all over Namibia and South AFrica actually, doing mostly wildlife safaris, but ended at Rocktail bay in northern South Africa. Stayed in these "tented" cottages, (meaning they had canvas walls, but everything else was wood). Each one had it's own little private outdoor shower behind it. THey have there own large section of private beach, and the water is warm, there is scuba and snorkeling, awesome food, everything. No massages or anything, but I'm sure there are probably some resorts somewhere around there that do.

Will definitely check it out tonight when i get home. Thanks!!!