Ski, Bike, Photo

AT Ski Bindings?

Any backcountry skiers here?

I just picked a pair of unused, used Scott Mission skis. When I picked them up I realized how light they are. I've been working my way towards some out-of-bounds skiing and wondered about AT bindings. I've got alpine boots and would prefer not to have to buy a new pair of boots. How realistic is it for me to think I can use my alpine boots and what would my best bet for AT bindings be? Realistically, most of my skiing will be resort skiing with a fair amount of in-bounds hiking and a few backcountry sorties. The new Marker Barron bindings appeal to me because they put the emphasis on the downhill skiing, and that's why I'm willing to hike in the first place.

I appreciate any feedback I can get. Thanks!
    Skier, Mountain Biker, Photographer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I use the Freerides. They are plenty burly and lighter than the Marker's i think. The freerides go up to 10 DIN i think. I don't see why more is necessary.

I used alpine boots for hiking for years. I just unbuckled them. It wasn't ideal, but it worked. For hiking at resorts that would be fine.

I endorse the Freerides. I've had two pairs and haven't had any problems.

The Naxo is worth a look, but Dynafit and Silveretta probably not.

-M

Ski, Bike, Photo

Fritschi

Thanks, Wolfy! That's good to hear. I'm not a big guy and I'm not a hucker. I just want to have fun in the pow. The DIN on my Katanas is set to 9 and I've only come out of them once. So 10 is probably just fine. The nice thing about the Frtschis is I might be able to find a used set. Since the Markers are brand new, a used set is pretty unlikely.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I got mine through Randogear.com for a good price. I think they are either in SLC or Ogden or something. They used to be in Reno, but they moved cause they like weak beer. ;)

Get an avalung too. It'll save your life. Seriously. I made my sisters and brother in law get them. I hope we never use them, but imaging digging your buddy out...

-M

Ski, Bike, Photo

Got The Marker

I ended up getting the Marker Baron. The Fritschi looked really good. But I went to REI last night and the guys there thought the Marker was a better binding for me. Plus, it was cheaper. Done deal. There are a couple of potential downsides to the Marker. I have read about problems fitting it with AT boots. But I don't have AT boots so it's not a problem - for now. And you have to take off your skis to put it in climbing mode. But that's not really a big deal - especially if you have to put on or take off skins, anyway.