legend

Oldest question ever asked

I'm sorry to ask this question again, but whats everyones opinion on Strap bindings v Step Ins. I'm considering maybe changing to some step ins. Am i crazy or have they gotten better over the years???

Neomaxi Zoomdweebie Reverend SC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by frog
    I'm sorry to ask this question again, but whats everyones opinion on Strap bindings v Step Ins. I'm considering maybe changing to some step ins. Am i crazy or have they gotten better over the years???
    I thought the oldest question ever asked was "How much, Lady?"

I don't like step-ins primarily because of the boot-choice thing. None of the boots I like (APX, Salomon) offer a step-in boot. I suppose if I could find a high-end boot that was as good as my KJ's (not likely), I'd consider them. Straps are so comfy, they don't ice over, and are not boot-specific, I don't see a reason to change.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I'm back to straps and will probably stay here, but my Burton SI's were pretty darn good, no icing problems (my old-school switch did have problems with snow on the bottom of the boot, or in the mechanism itself) and super fast in and outs.....

that was the main benefit of them, clicking in on the super scary Mt Baker chair to allow you to ride down their 60 degree death ramps...

have to say that straps are just consistently better, you can tighten them up or loosen them off as conditions dictate.

I have yet to experience step-in boots that don't double as torture devices. So yes, I think you are crazy to switch to a system that is less-comfortable, reduces control, and cost just as much. But perhaps you have good reasons.

I am just speculating but I doubt SIS have gotten better over the years for the simple reason that the market is drifting increasingly towards straps. If you head K2, would you invest the money where the demand is high or into step-in?

Quote Originally Posted by frog
    As of this week,my vote is for neither.I rode Flows for the first time & I'm sold.The most supportive & overall the easiest to get into.I'm bias,but a few of my friends got to try them their first time this week & they're sold.
    late,
    e

Step ins only good for those who can't ride

Step ins are really only good for beginners. They don't offer the performance of strap bindings.

So if you only go once or twice a year, step in are fine. But if you want to do really snowboarding them get strap bindings.

Also there is a new alternative its called the Burton Fusion, check it out for 04/05

not really

Quote Originally Posted by Bmott
    Step ins are really only good for beginners. They don't offer the performance of strap bindings.

So if you only go once or twice a year, step in are fine. But if you want to do really snowboarding them get strap bindings.

Also there is a new alternative its called the Burton Fusion, check it out for 04/05
    I have gone back to straps out of the boot shoice and comfort thing, but I know some amazing technical freeriders who still ride k2 clicker step-ins. You can make anything work once you get used to it. Unless you are trying to go pro or something, I doubt it will matter too much, so go with the boots you like best, wether it be step in or conventional, and then get the bindings to match. I've done 50 degree chutes and 20 foot cliff drops in step -in, no problem. So ride what you like!!

What he said... There is at least one ex-pro up in Tahoe that only rides backcountry these days. And well, he rides some gnarly stuff and swears by his clicker setup. But can you find new clicker stuff? Not really... So I guess if that's the only good step-in you have a point.. ;)

Don't forget Flows as well. When setup properly, they are as good and better than straps for performance, with less the hassle. Just cost a couple bucks more..
    Greg
    "NoKnees"

clicker high backs

Quote Originally Posted by NoKnees
    What he said... There is at least one ex-pro up in Tahoe that only rides backcountry these days. And well, he rides some gnarly stuff and swears by his clicker setup. But can you find new clicker stuff? Not really... So I guess if that's the only good step-in you have a point.. ;)

Don't forget Flows as well. When setup properly, they are as good and better than straps for performance, with less the hassle. Just cost a couple bucks more..
    That's what I used to ride. My wife still rides the regular clickers, and I'm worried that she's gone to be screwed when her boots wear out, because she loves the clickers and they stopped making them.