Low Maintenance Chick

OK, so I have been riding on the same boots since 1995 , not because I'm a cheap bastage, no sirree, I keep trying to get on with the times, but each time I try on new boots, I just leave the store frustrated. I bought a new pair of Rides in 1999, but eventually they felt too stiff and my heel got too much lift to make them really effective, so they never managed to replace my trusty Vans, my old boots are just way too comfortable, I like the flexy feel and they totally rock for hiking, but they have started to sip in water and the sole is coming unglued... time to retire them

Enter REI, I recently got my co-op $ return, and a nice bonus at work, so I figured I was going to get the best fitting boots I could find to replace my trusty companions... there I was, trying pair after pair, and growing slightly frustrated, size wise they would be fine, but volume wise, my foot would be swimming in there, too much heel lift, too stiff, or not enough arch support. Crap, am I so hard to satisfy? As I was about to give up, I found a pair in the shelf that were nice and flexy, when I put one on, it trully fit my foot! I was so excited, I ran to the counter to tell them I had found the pair I wanted. The guy looked at me slightly puzzled... imagine my surprise when I was informed those were Burton's Youth line of boots! ...but, but, they were just perfect for me! I don't care if they were meant for kids... so I asked how much they cost, to think if it was worth taking the chance: $45.95 was the reply. At that point I just started laughing really hard, netheless to say, I bought them. Woohoo, me and my little kid boots!
    Canaria
    "...my madness is my love for mankind" Vaslav Nijinsky

Neomaxi Zoomdweebie Reverend SC's Avatar
    Sweet! Love when stuff like that happens, kinda like when I discovered that I liked my $100 bindings better than the $220 ones, makes for an easy choice when it's time to replace.

I was going to suggest you check low-end boots like Liquid. My wife still uses hers sometimes when she want's a more forgiving ride. Comfy because the lack of stiffness lets it conform better.

Also, you might want to take the old ones to a cobbler. Sometimes they can do minor leak patching and restitching for less than $20. They'd make a nice spare pair, you know?
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

"Howzit Brah"

Talking RE: Youth Boots

That is too funny , What size shoes do you wear? Like yourself I also have small feet, but I'm a 1/2 size too big for youth boots! Damm, I could have saved some serious dough. But thats great that you found an awesome fitting boot that hella cheap. If you can, please tell me if they pack-out at all, cause if they do I might wanna buy a pair and save some cash. By they way, I remember a while back you posted some pics of "Smart" car made by Mercedes. Guess what, I was watching the auto show from Geneva and they mentioned the Smart vehicles will be coming to the U.S. I would love to get one.

Ric

They don't call me "The Queen of Free" for nothing

I hear you there SC, I cannot even remember the last time I paid full prize for any gear, and I love it! Funny thing, I was mentally ready to dish out a couple of C notes for the right pair of boots, alas, my feet had something else in mind. I know the trend in the last years has been towards stiffer boots, but those just cause bruises all around my shins, and for hiking out of bounds, they are a royal pain. These are the boots that fit me surprisingly well, not quite a cinderella story, but so far, they work for me!

Canaria

Smart Chick

Oh man, if they make it to the US, I totally recommend them! They are the funnest car I've ever driven, super low gas consumption, roomy inside, and you can park them literally anywhere. I also loved the cabrio option, and the fact that you can choose whether to drive a stick, or automatic... as you drive!

Good luck on the boots, it only took me 9 years to find the "right" pair!
    Canaria

You may be in luck becasue, unlike most kid's boots/shoes that stp at size 6, the Burton Ion Grom actually goes up to a size 7 which would be just like a men's 7. Keep in mind that the adult Ion goes all the way down to a size 6 strangely enough.
    MARK

Ah, basic black...

...it goes with everything! Travel in style from office to disco to s&m den. (Sorry, that Cheetos-face just makes no sense whatsover...I love it, though.)

Who knew, though, that 45 bucks could still buy so much beauty?

I guess in a way I'm lucky, too, because being at the other end of the size spectrum (tall and all), I can usually find gear/clothing/etc. at the end-of-season sales, even after the more "popular" (?) sizes have sold out.

But on the high-maintenance side, it takes me two hours to get my hair "did" (just got back from the salon). Oh, well! What price beauty, eh?

"Howzit Brah"

Boots N new pow

Thanks for the tip on Burton grom Ion boots, I'm gonna check it out for sure! I wear size 61/2 in mens, so I should be able to pick up some ions real cheap. FYI, overnight Tahoe just got hit with 10" to 17" of new pow! Did anyone else get some? PNW, CO, MW....