Sunny morning, Sh!tty day

The morning started hectic enough, my office was getting moved to a newly remodeled floor, so all my files were on boxes, my computer disconnected, etc... when the phone line was back up, I got a message from my favorite pro-bono client telling me it's an emergency. I have known the Chavez's for many years, a traditional hard-working Mexican family, we helped them obtain legal status to live and work in the US, our kids went to each other's birthday parties, Juan would bring me Alaskan cod each time he returned from the fishing boat, when they bought their first home, we were at the house warming party...

I thought the emergency had something to do with their immigration case... what I heard next, made me drop the phone. On Monday evening their son Omar (whom I fondly remember laughing at the other end of a pinata rope), was sitting with some friends on the front steps of his girlfriend's house, when a middle aged man approached them and shot them all in the head... WTF?! Senseless

Oh, but my morning still had more bad news, when my computer was finally connected, I receive an e-mail from Amnesty International condemning the bombings in Madrid... WTF??!! my grandma lives near the Atocha train station, my dad and stepmom take the train each morning to commute into the city, I lived in Madrid for 5 years, so I have many old friends still there, and so far I have not been able to get a hold of anybody. My stomach feels like I've swallowed a concrete block and my nerves are frayed, excuse me if I vent.

So far, 192 have been killed, and nearly 1,500 injured, originally the government blamed ETA, the Basque separatist group, but this seemed too big for ETA, and besides, they ususally target military personnel and politicians, so it didn't seem in line with their tactics. They have now found a van with several detonators and documents that seem to link to al-Qaeda, apparently, because of Spain's government support of the Bush invasion of Irak, even though 92% of Spain's citizens were against it. How ironic that the very people who demonstrated against the government's intervention, pointing that the result would be an increase in terrorism worldwide, not the other way around as the government claimed, were proven right at the cost of their own lives... I'm sick and tired of violence, of senseless losses, of extremists, of manipulative politicians, of the whole fuc#ing world. I just wanna crawl in a cave and be left alone.
    Canaria
    "...my madness is my love for mankind" Vaslav Nijinsky

Canaria,
    I hope your grandma and all your friends in Madrid are ok, that was a horrific attack....and i really am at a loss of words over the Seattle shooting of your friends...

yikes!!

(((hug)))

that's all I got!

I hope you get good news...

about your family in Madrid. I am thinking of you.;)
    Tantrum

"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

So sad and scary...

What a wretched state of affairs.

I'm so sorry, Marina.

my condolences and sympathies on both events. i hope and pray that your family and friends were not killed on hurt in madrid.

but before you rush to blame Bush for the actions of the terrorists, wait and see what develops. this bomb and plan is exactly the same ETA attempt that was discovered last December in San Sebastian. it's only 3 days before elections. the theory is that they are trying to invoke exactly the type of reaction you are giving: to blame Aznar for siding with Bush and bring him down in the election. but let's wait and see. and put the blame squarely on who is responsible - the terrorists themselves.

~peace~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks to all the positive thoughts

Spoke with my dad last night and the family was fine, I'm still worried about a couple of friends who's names (or someone with the same name) are on the injured list, and I can't get a hold of them. I just wanna be there right now, feeling incredibly touched by today's demonstrations of solidarity in Spain, over 8 million people on the streets across the country today.

This one is from Vitoria, very telling as Vitoria is one of the regions of Euskadi.

Barcelona 1.3 Million

This is Atocha, Madrid, were 2 million people gathered

Zaragoza

Also, it has become increasingly obvious that ETA was not behind this attack, for starters, the analysis results of the explosives and detonators indicate that they do NOT match ETAs usual material: the explosives used were domestic, not Titadine, the dynamite composite commonly used by ETA, the detonators were made of copper, not aluminium, and the assembly of the bombs themselves didn't match ETA's. So far, ETA has made multiple announcements through Gara, ETB and a Batasuna spokesperson, that they were not behind this attack. Spain has dealt with domestic terrorrism for over 30 years, through the rule of law (no walls around Euskadi, no bombs, no military incursions), and it has been very successful, ETA are indeed in their last gasp, their violence has antagonized even Basques who support independence.

On the other hand, it does have all the traits of al-Qaeda. Ironically, Aznar would much rather if it were ETA, if it is indeed al-Qaeda, most Spaniards (92% protested Aznar's support of the US intervention in Irak) will blame Aznar for bringing this upon us, particularlly since his critics forewarned that this could very well happen, so you can imagine how, if this is indeed Al-Qaeda, it will affect the results of Spain's General Election this Sunday.

And Spaniards are pissed, at several demonstrations today, members of the PP where heckled by the crowds, who called them "Assassins". What you need to understand is that most Spaniards view al-Qaeda's terrorrism, and Bush's so called war on terror, as two sides of the same coin. Violence begets violence, and as long as revenge is policy, instead of the rule of law, nothing good is gonna come out of it.
    Canaria

Neomaxi Zoomdweebie Reverend SC's Avatar
    I truly hope you hear good news from the people you're still worried about. My Grandparents flew into Madrid that day, their plane landed a few minutes after the bombs went off. Scary world.

Without getting into anything (hopefully ) please remember that AQ was active long before Bush took office, and will be active long after he leaves. Assuming that if Bush hadn't gone into Iraq, the terror would have stopped, is not reality.

Take care...
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

I'm so sorry to hear about both tragedies. The world is a sad place today. I'm glad for you that you had good news about your family.

what to say?

I am glad your family is ok. I hope all tour friends turn out to be ok! I am horrified by what I see in the papers here, and on television. What can I say? The story of the kid is too cruel to even think about. I cannot stretch my arms over the ocean to hug you, but I hope the friends around you will do that and keep you out of the cave. Stay in the light. Kisses, hugs and strength.

Marije
    ( We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing ~Shaw )

Have a look at my
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brazilian Whipping Boy
    C,

So sorry to hear of both of these extremely unfortunate incidences. The world would be a much, much better place if all humans had the love and zest for life that you have.

I hope with all sincerity that your family and friends are ok. Try to keep your head up, your spirit strong, and know that your friends' thoughts and prayers are with all of those affected by these tragedies.

T

Senseless is right.

crazy, crazy stuff going on. I sincerely hope your friends in Madrid end up allright. As soon as I heard about it I thought about you. Also, so sorry to hear about your friends in Seattle. Horrible.

take care,
    -t

Bitter-sweet elation

Thanks for all the messages, you guys are so supportive! Well, now that a few days have gone by, I've had the chance to "count all my chickens" ;) and they are all safe and sound.

But boy, have the tides changed, or what? I was so excited at the news yesterday, I kept getting txt messages on my cell phone from friends and family in Spain celebrating the PSOE win. Unfortunatelly, the American media is already busy bashing the results claiming the terrorists "won"... how that can be said by the media in a country that not even in it's wildest dream would reach over 77% voter turn out, and last time needed the Supreme Court to make the decision, is beyond me.

You know the saying about the silent majority? What happened in Spain was not that people who were going to vote for the PP voted PSOE instead, PP voters remained PP voters, but a lot of people who were progressive but apathetic towards voting, felt outraged enough to go out and cast their vote... and that could happen in America. well... maybe.... one day... LOL!
    Canaria

C......

I missed your post originally and am just now reading this. SO glad to hear your family is alright. PHEW!!

Regarding Omar.......WTF? What makes someone do such a thing? I'm sooooooooo sorry. I will pray for their family.