Torstein Horgmo Wins Volvo C30 At The Fourth Annual Burton Abominable Snow Jam

Kelly Clark, Mason Aguirre, Erin Comstock, Danny Kass, Hana Beaman and Kevin Pearce Also Podium

TIMBERLINE, OR (July 13, 2007) - Burton’s fourth annual Abominable Snow Jam snowboarding competition wrapped up yesterday with Torstein Horgmo claiming the event’s top prize, the Volvo Overall Rider Award. Torstein will be driving home a new 2008 Volvo C30 for having the best overall performance at the event, which included first place finishes in both slopestyle and quarterpipe. Hana Beaman and Scotty Lago scored the sought-after Harley-Davidson Most Inspired Ride Award for their sick style throughout the event and will each ride away on a 2007 Harley-Davidson XL 1200N Nightster™ motorcycle.

“I can’t explain it, it’s crazy. I never predicted I could do so good in any contest,” said Torstein Horgmo. “I broke my back in January [at the Burton European Open] and it feels so good to come back. I wanted to prove to myself that I could. I’m stoked, that’s for sure.”

Scotty and Hana are the proud owners of Harleys and had this to say, “I feel like I just won the lottery,” said Scotty. Hana added, “I am so excited that I just won this motorcycle!”

This year’s Abominable Snow Jam kicked off on Tuesday, July 10 with Torstein and Hana winning the quarterpipe contest held at High Cascade Snowboard Camp on Mt. Hood on a windy and warm summer day. Some of the world’s top riders charged the 30-foot transition, including Mason Aguirre, Scotty Lago, Kevin Pearce, Yuki Furihata, Meg Pugh, Dustin Craven, Jake Blauvelt and Fumiyuki Murakami. Scotty Lago pulled off an alley-oop truck driver 720, scoring him the best trick award and a fly Rolex watch. Yuki Furihata’s super smooth McTwist earned her a Rolex and the best trick title. Fumiyuki “Smokey” Murakami got the highest air of the day going over 25-feet out, scoring him the 2008 Polaris 600 RMK snowmobile and Kelly Clark took home the highest air and the Polaris for the ladies going 13-feet out of the quarterpipe.

On Wednesday July 11, top halfpipe riders competed in High Cascade’s 22-foot halfpipe with Gretchen Bleiler winning the women’s contest and Danny Kass taking the top spot for the men. Gretchen’s winning run included a frontside alley-oop, frontside 540, backside 540 and a frontside 720 to take first place and $5,000. Claire Bidez went for broke with a frontside 9 off of the first hit, scoring herself the MacBook Pro for the best trick award. Danny Kass put down a flawless run which included a backside 720, frontside 1080, frontside 900 and an alley-oop backside 720 to earn the top spot and $10,000. Keir Dillon’s alley-oop backside 720 scored him the best trick award and a MacBook Pro.

In the final competition of the event on Thursday, July 12, Erin Comstock and Torstein Horgmo took home top spots in the slopestyle contest. Torstein blew the crowd and the judges away with his run that included a cab 270 to boardslide to fakie, switch half cab to nose press, 50/50 to 360 out, frontside boardslide, frontside 10, backside 9 and a Cab 9. Erin killed it for the ladies with smooth 50/50s, a frontside 5, switch backside 180 and a backside 180. Scotty Lago won the best trick award and a Sony HDV Camcorder with a huge switch backside 5 rodeo. And Marie-France Roy stomped the best trick for the ladies with a truck driver frontside 720.

The Burton Abominable Snow Jam was the first stop on the prestigious TTR World Snowboard Tour. Riders were able to rack up valuable TTR points during the halfpipe and slopestyle competitions, boosting their standings in the overall World Tour Ranking list. For current TTR rankings go to http://www.ttrworldtour.com/

Special thanks go out to Burton, Volvo, SoBe, Paul Mitchell, Harley-Davidson, Timberline Resort and High Cascade Snowboard Camp for supporting the Abominable Snow Jam. For more information on the Abominable Snow Jam, check out www.abominablesnowjam.com

source:Mia Troy-Vowell
    www.burton.com

###
    Attached Images Attached Images