Travis Rice & Jamie Anderson Win 2007 Burton US Open

STRATTON, Vt. (March 16, 2007) – Travis Rice and Jamie Anderson won today’s slopestyle competition at the 25th Annual US Open Snowboarding Championships held at Stratton Mountain Resort. Travis and Jamie each took home $20,000, Motorola cell phones and $5,000 each for winning the Snickers Best Trick Awards.

“I’ve been competing at the US Open since 1998,” said Travis Rice. “My mom brought me when I was 15, and it was the first time I saw the pros compete in person. So I’m stoked to win my first US Open slopestyle title. It was definitely tough conditions out there for us gladiators, so I’m glad we made it through it.”

Jamie Anderson, whose entire family gathered in Vermont to cheer her on, had this to say about her win today, “The US Open is a really huge contest, and I’m stoked to win.”

Heavy snows on the East Coast slowed down the slopestyle competitors, who each had three runs to get their best scores. Travis Rice made the best of it, winning his first US Open slopestyle competition with a frontside boardslide on the first rail to a backside 720 Japan air, frontside 720 melon grab, backside rodeo 720 nosegrab, switch backside 180 and a front boardslide to 270 off on the final rail. Travis’ backside rodeo 720 on the third jump also earned him the Snickers Best Trick award and an extra $5,000. Finnish rider Janne Korpi impressed the judges with his frontside boardslide, backside 720 mute grab, frontside 900 melon grab, Cab 720 mute grab, switch backside 720 and ending with a half Cab boardslide on the rail, earning a second place win. 2006 US Open slopestyle champion Shaun White took third place on the slopestyle podium with a boardslide to fakie, switch backside 540, frontside 1080, backside 720 mute grab, Cab 900 ending with a lipslide on the final rail.

In the women’s competition, a diverse group of ladies from six different nations including Austria, Australia, Canada, Great Britain, Germany and the United States with ages ranging from 16 to 31 rode in the slopestyle finals. 2006 US Open slopestyle champion Hana Beaman did her best to reclaim her title. But it was sixteen-year-old Jamie Anderson who earned first place with a run that included a frontside 180 indy grab, Cab 540, frontside 360, method air and a nose press to tail press on the last rail. Jamie’s smooth Cab 540 earned her the Snickers Best Trick award as well. 2006 US Open halfpipe champion Torah Bright took second place in the women’s competition with her first run and British rider Jenny Jones took the third place spot on the podium.

After today’s slopestyle finals, Janne Korpi took the lead in the Burton Global Open Series standings with Kevin Pearce behind him by less than 100 points. For the women, Torah Bright took the top spot. Tomorrow’s US Open halfpipe competition is the final chance for riders have to win the Burton Global Open Series championship, which awards $100,000 each to the winning male and female riders.

In the TTR World Tour Ranking List, Shaun White moved from 4th to TTR World Nr. 1 spot. Travis Rice moved from 13th to 4th place and Kevin Pearce moved from first to second place. Antti Autti is currently in third place. Jamie Anderson continues to lead the women’s TTR rankings.

The male Ticket To Ride World Snowboard Tour Champion will be announced after tomorrow’s US Open halfpipe finals and the women’s Ticket To Ride World Snowboard Tour Champion will be announced after next week’s Roxy Chicken Jam in Park City, Utah.

If you can’t make it out to Stratton to watch this year’s landmark event in person, be sure to watch the 90-minute US Open show on NBC on Sunday, March 18 at 1:00-2:30 p.m. ET. Or check out webcasts of the event on www.burton.com.

To download print-quality photos from the event, visit:

http://www.usopen-snowboarding.com/Pressroom.aspx and click on the ‘Photos for Publishing’ link at the bottom of the web page. Enter the following to access hi-res images:

username: usopen07 password: ridestratton

For more information on the US Open, head to www.opensnowboarding.com.

Media contact:

Dawn De La Fuente

Burton Snowboards

(858) 699-5692

dawnd@burton.com

About the Burton Global Open Series, Presented by Motorola

The Burton Global Open Series events are the pinnacle snowboarding events of the season. Founded by Jake Burton, the Opens have grown from grassroots events to global spectacles attracting tens of thousands of spectators and riders from around the world. Since the beginning, the Opens have been driven by riders, for riders evolving with snowboarding and riders’ needs over the years. With events held in Europe, Japan, the United States, New Zealand and Australia, the Opens set the standard for snowboarding events around the globe. For more information, visit www.opensnowboarding.com or www.motorola.com/burton

Head to www.burton.com to see live cybercasts of the US Open.

The Burton Global Open Series is part of the Ticket To Ride (TTR) World Snowboard Tour, the largest group of independent freestyle snowboard events in the world. TTR ranks riders based on their results at participating competitions and crowns a TTR World Champion at the US Open. For more information, visit www.ttrworldtour.
    Attached Images Attached Images