considering changing board - right choice?

I am thinking of changing my board and was wondering what input people might have. I am an intermediate rider and use a Rossignol Levitation 167 that I have used the past two years since I started. It's not a narrow board, as my boots are size 11.

I like the board...good flex, carves pretty good, seems a bit heavy though I don't have anything to compare it to.... but the reason I am considering a change is that I now split my time 50/50 between runs and the park. My park activity is mostly medium sized jumps; haven't tried rails or the pipe yet, but plan to eventually. As I get more advanced in the park, I am wondering if 167 is too long? I know it's not that suitable for jumps with steep lips (or maybe that is more because of my skill level). I am 6-1 and weigh around 190-195.
    Any comments on whether I should stick with it or consider a different one? If so, what should I look for? Thanks.....

Quote Originally Posted by doctorfeelgood
    I am thinking of changing my board and was wondering what input people might have. I am an intermediate rider and use a Rossignol Levitation 167 that I have used the past two years since I started. It's not a narrow board, as my boots are size 11.

I like the board...good flex, carves pretty good, seems a bit heavy though I don't have anything to compare it to.... but the reason I am considering a change is that I now split my time 50/50 between runs and the park. My park activity is mostly medium sized jumps; haven't tried rails or the pipe yet, but plan to eventually. As I get more advanced in the park, I am wondering if 167 is too long? I know it's not that suitable for jumps with steep lips (or maybe that is more because of my skill level). I am 6-1 and weigh around 190-195.
    Any comments on whether I should stick with it or consider a different one? If so, what should I look for? Thanks.....
    I'd definitely consider going shorter for the park. Your levitiation is more of a pow board and, at that length, not optimal for the park. Compliment it with something in around the 158cm range. Keep the Rossi for pow days, the shorter board for more park, mogul, etc. days.
    MARK

I weigh the same and ride a 161

Hey,
    I weigh a bit more than you and ride a 161 Palmer HoneyPro for all my riding. I wanted something a little shorter for the park, but the 161 was all the rep could find. Honestly, it works great! It's signifigantly lighter than my Donek 161 Wide and that makes all the difference for spinning and freeride maneuverability. I agree with Mark, get something shorter and lighter, ie a freestyle deck. The HoneyPro is their high end freestyle board and it's plenty stiff for carving(carves almost as well as the Donek) and freeriding. So save the 167 for pow days, and get something in the 158-162 range for everything else.
    James

Thanks for the feedback on the length...I will start looking for some in the 158-160 range. I noticed the waist on the Palmer is 24.9; someone also recommended a Burton that is 24.8. My levitation's (bought in 2002) waist is 26.7, which is good because my boots hang over only by about an inch. I use K2 Magna V10 bindings.
    So when looking for something that is more lightweight and good for the park, and has good stiffness and pop, any suggestions on boards that are wider? It seems like most of them are on the narrow side.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by doctorfeelgood
    Thanks for the feedback on the length...I will start looking for some in the 158-160 range. I noticed the waist on the Palmer is 24.9; someone also recommended a Burton that is 24.8. My levitation's (bought in 2002) waist is 26.7, which is good because my boots hang over only by about an inch. I use K2 Magna V10 bindings.
    So when looking for something that is more lightweight and good for the park, and has good stiffness and pop, any suggestions on boards that are wider? It seems like most of them are on the narrow side.
    Dan
    Waist width is misleading becasue you don't actually stand on the waist and thus the actual sidecut of the board becomes important(your Rossi doesn't have a deep sidecut). For EXAMPLE, an 11 boot will just fit on a 24.7 waist Ride Concept due to it's deep sidecut, while it will not fit that great on most other board's of that waist. The reason is because the Concept has a fairly wide tip/tail and thus it must become wider at a faster material rate from the waist out, thus making the board area under your feet wider than usual for a board with that waist width. Since you are looking to all-mountain freestyle I would look at boards with a 25.4-26.0(again depending on the sidecut you want, which I would suggest as being average/not overly deep). Boards that come to mind are the Nitro Shadow, K2 Union, etc.
    MARK

Mark,
    good stuff.....thanks!