Bear Valley Resort 1/14/07

Little late. Actually exactly a week late.

Last Sunday my girlfriend and I went to to Bear Valley Resort just eat of Dorington, CA for the day. There are some small differances between Bear and a Tahoe resorts. The mountain just seem to move slower. Maybe it's the relaxed pace and less crouds, or maybe just the non detachable double chairs. Either way the scene at Bear Valley is much more melow.

Most of the advanced terrain was closed due to the lack of coverage on the mountain. Just like the rest of the Sierras, Bear is stuggling to keep there rocks covered and their lower elevation doesn't help. With their lodge nestled at mid mountain it makes it possible to deal with the minimal snow and make the best of what they have. The upper half of the mountain was open while the lower half remained closed. Since I was with my lady it didn't affect us much anyway.

She is working on her skill and can now conquer any bunny slope!

She also took her fist ride to the top of a ridge to try her luck with a blue square.

I was so impressed the way she made the transition from the bunnies to the blues. I couldn't believe how well she was shredding the slopes and with confidence. Once we did one she wanted to do them all. And we did most of them. Then we crapped out tired!

But Bear Valley has some great views and what looks like great terrain on a powder day. Also Bear offers a lift assisted backcountry guide service where they take you off resort and show you some of their favorite local stashes. I'd recommend waiting for more snow and calling ahead though.

Bring Back SnowBoarderReview.Com

It's been a couple years since I've been there, but I do remember some definite fun. And ya, you are right about the altitude disadvantages, but when you get a couple cold storms, it can be a blast...

There's a pretty descent backcountry scene down there too. Mostly tele, but a few split boarders hit the hills around there and have found some pretty sweet lines...

If we ever get some snow, it's on my list for a return trip this year. Besides, I have a skiing friend that has a pass there and he dropped the gauntlet. He said "snowboarders just seem slower, incapable of riding down as fast as I'm used to on skiis"... I need to set him straight... The sad thing is I don't think he meant anything by it... I'll educate him though... ;)
    Greg
    "NoKnees"