Backcountry Ruckus

A grass-roots backcountry festival is happening in Nelson, BC in February complete with clinics, demos, Tele Races, Randonee Rally, slide shows, movies, parties and lots deep powder skiing. I'm not working for anyone- just trying to get the word out about this cool event in my backyard.

I'm racing in the Randonee Rally, and would like to see a big turnout for the race. I think events like this are the future of Ski Mountaineering Races. The sport is all about getting the backcountry community together, and why not have a big party while we're at it.

The list of pros giving the clinics is pretty impressive. Steep Skiing with Eric Pehota, Andrew McLean, and Maegan Carney. Touring clinics are led by the likes of Greg Hill, Pete Swenson and Martin Volken, while the freeheel crew will be represented by Nils Larsen, Naheed Henderson and lots of others.

If anyone is interested in trying their first Ski Mountaineering Race there is good information on this website: http://www.ussma.org/, or email me at scoldiron@spokanefire.org with questions.

Let's get out and support this festival! Their website is: http://www.mountaingear.com/coldsmoke/Festival.aspx

More of a Skier thing? What's a Randonee Rally. Sounds like good times though.
    Bring Back SnowBoarderReview.Com

Randonee Rallies Are also known as Ski Mountaineering Races. Here's how it works:
    1. Skin up a big peak 2. Ski or board back down 3. Repeat 3-5 times 4. Collapse in a heap at the finish line 5. Drink a beer 6. Tell your buddies that you didn't train for the race 7. Marvel at how fast you would have been if: (pick 2) a.you had trained b.you had lightweight gear c. your skin glue hadn't let you down d. you hadn't taken a wrong turn e. (my favorite) you were younger and skinnier f. you hadn't closed down the local tavern last night.

The descents are usually pretty challenging, and race organizers tend to include some of the burliest steeps on the mountain. There is also at least one steep climb done as a bootpack.

Snowboarders often compete on splitboards. While they are at a disadvantage on the climbs, boarders are hard to beat on the downhill sections. Last year at Whistler, a boarder took 8th place overall.

There is a race in your neighborhood on March 3, the Marmot Six Summits Randonee Rally(at Kirkwood). You should check it out. The races are a blast, and if you want something a bit less committing there is always a shorter course without hairball steeps for the Rec division.

sounds sick. Too bad I don't have a splity. Sounds like I would rather do it on ski's anyway.

What is the usual elevation change and how long do they take? I see people doing this at ASI all the time. I think. l

There is usually 5000-6000 feet of climbing, and the winners finish in 1 1/2 to 2 hours. The fastest guys are climbing at a rate of 4,000+ ft. per minute. The fastest European racers can climb at a rate of over 5,000 feet per minute!

That's amazing. I should probably steer clear of that for awhile or I'll have a lot more than three excuses, but with some more research it would definity be something I'd be into.

I've talked with a few of the split-boarders who have done these things... The transition time is the killer for them, going from split to board and back... The better skiers can pull their skins and lock down/release heals as needed without ever stepping out of their skis.... Not quite as easy with a splitboard...

Anyway, sounds like a cool event. Not my cup of tea, but cool none the less. Hope it gets a good turn-out...
    Greg
    "NoKnees"