Best place in Tahoe 12/9-12/16?

It doesn't look like there are many trails open anywhere. Who has the most snow so far? Are the tickets discounted at all? It might snow next week. I've been to Boreal early season before and the park was all set up. Thanks..

Late reply, but...

At least some snow has fallen now... No where in Tahoe is "Good" yet. You're stuck on intermediate runs pretty much where'ev you go. Places to look at are Alpine Meadows on the north shore, or Mount Rose / Kirkwood closer to South Shore... Heavenly's got some covereage on their groomers with the assitance of snow making... And yes, so far all places look to be discounting their tickets, but they aren't totally "Cheap"...

The above places all have longer runs than Boreal open, but Boreal I think has more "park" stuff open right now than the others... Good luck getting some turns in. Bummer of a year to have an early break in Tahoe...
    Greg
    "NoKnees"

Well it's snowin right now!

Snow! Get the snow on!

Thanks for the response. I just got back. Sunday I went to Northstar-$44 --Tuesday Mt. Rose $26 windy and no one there.-- Wed. Sugar Bowl $50 lots of rain and fog.didn't ride long--Thu. Heavenly $32 all ice but fun little snowboard park.--Friday Boreal $10 fresh snow and great park features but too crowded. Had a great time boarding. Stayed in Reno and gambled and drank all night. 3-4 hrs. sleep max. Great Basin Brewery $2 pints on Tuesday was a highlight. So was Pizza and Beer at The Brewery in South Lake. Now all I got to look forward to is Wisconsin.

Looks like Kirkwood has the most snow right now, I'm in south lake right now and gonna ride there tomorrow. doesn't really look like much snow... But I here they're makin' more!!

Let us know how things are up there! Looking for your report!

CI

Yesterday I woke up to a windy snow report at Kirkwood. I was a bit discouraged, but I knew I had to go anyway. As I was leaving south lake the air temp was 5F, so I knew that the wind chill could be cutting aswell.
    Once I arrived at the resort conditions didn't seem to bad, but I could see that familiar white haze pushing over the summit. My friend Amado and I hopped on chair 6 and headed toward the top. They were blowing snow and working on some big kickers in the terrain park which might be open for this weekend. As we neared the top the scraping of edges on ice was un believable, so we ruled out going down under the lift. We decide to go riders left and traverse as far as we could. Much of the mountain was closed off due to lack of snow, so we headed down into the trees. The snow conditions were much better there. Some ice, but there was still a fair amount of fluff from the weekends storm. There was about 3-5 inches of good snow on top of 2 inches on hard then plenty of good snow below that.
    Since conditions seem to be the best in the cave gully we hung out there most of the day. We built a small kicker and tried to bust out. We hit it, then hiked it. Turned out to be an awesome time despite the conditions on the rest of the mountain.

Way to make the best of it. I was there Sunday when the first tracks were put in that fresh snow. They opened 10 in the afternoon, and it was interesting, to say the least. It was about 4-8" of nice fluff on a hard ice layer directly on the face, but good fluff on softer snow in the gullies bellow the chutes (notch, sisters, etc)... Good time...

We played a lot off 6 too, in the area's you mentioned. This cold weather is doing a good job at keeping the snow fresh. Hope they don't get hit by too much wind before the next little bit falls... They still need help in the coverage area, like you said...

Well, I'm off to the shop to get some core shots repaired before I head back up there next week.
    Greg
    "NoKnees"

Encouraging news guys! We are sitting here in the Caribbean looking at the reports for the Breckenridge area and thinking hummmm.... thats where we were last year!

Still doing the snow dance - which looks wierd on the beach, but hey, what the hell right?

Keep those reports coming - we are over to SF on the 27th and then driving up on the 30th

CI

Quote Originally Posted by Condro
    Yesterday I woke up to a windy snow report at Kirkwood. I was a bit discouraged, but I knew I had to go anyway. As I was leaving south lake the air temp was 5F, so I knew that the wind chill could be cutting aswell.
    Once I arrived at the resort conditions didn't seem to bad, but I could see that familiar white haze pushing over the summit. My friend Amado and I hopped on chair 6 and headed toward the top. They were blowing snow and working on some big kickers in the terrain park which might be open for this weekend. As we neared the top the scraping of edges on ice was un believable, so we ruled out going down under the lift. We decide to go riders left and traverse as far as we could. Much of the mountain was closed off due to lack of snow, so we headed down into the trees. The snow conditions were much better there. Some ice, but there was still a fair amount of fluff from the weekends storm. There was about 3-5 inches of good snow on top of 2 inches on hard then plenty of good snow below that.
    Since conditions seem to be the best in the cave gully we hung out there most of the day. We built a small kicker and tried to bust out. We hit it, then hiked it. Turned out to be an awesome time despite the conditions on the rest of the mountain.
    That ended up being an awesome day. After getting freshies sunday, I was a bit disapointed but once HUCKulberryfin and tomsoYA showed up, the huckulbucking was on!

I hear you are getting snow today (Thursday) and possibly some over the weekend! SNOW ON snowboard lovers, SNOW ON!

CI

What up with this new storm coming through? What day will be the best and how long will it last. Seems pretty cold...

Quote Originally Posted by Nieto
    That ended up being an awesome day. After getting freshies sunday, I was a bit disapointed but once HUCKulberryfin and tomsoYA showed up, the huckulbucking was on!

Hell yeah! Glad to see you show'd up! Tues was sick!
    8 Minutes Ago 10:32 AM

Smile

Tommorrow will be the day.... 12"+ falling between now and the morning... more up high... Time for a sick day.... Snow's a bit better this time too, as it's starting warm, then ending cold...

Might be another small system to drop some dust around Christmas day, but nothing that big in the pipe for a little while..

And yah Ian, Colorado is just getting pummeled right now. Have coworkers that live there and they can't go anywhere down in Denver... They need to share a little! (didn't they say that last year to us?) AH well..
    Greg
    "NoKnees"

So dudes and dudetts give me the skinny! How does the day look or, if you have been out there, how was the day?

Weather report here - low of 23 CENTEGRADE high of 31 CENTEGRADE! Gonna be in the office all day with the A/C on!

CI

The goods be good... I got stuck firefighting at work from 6am through 1:30am today, then back at it by 8am 'til now... Was going to try to pull a sick day, but couldn't. What's the result? Best day yet in Tahoe...

Kirkwood: 12"-18" of new snow, started warm, ended cold, so you get good stick to the rocks, with soft over denser fresh snow. Good for coverage, and still a blast to ride...

Heavenly & Mt. Rose both got 11" or so... All good...

Next system may drop a couple inches more on Sunday, then it's still off and on with light snowfall (couple inches) here and there until New Years when it seem to stop for a few days...

So, looking "a-ok" for ya Ian...
    Greg
    "NoKnees"

Bugger. Stopping when I get there? What are they trying to do???? Ah well, mebbie we will get some in the week after new years.

Fingers etc crossed!

CI

Hey guys, hows it going? Stuck in Miami airport at the moment still trying to get over to SF today (Wednesday 27) and still looking to be in Heavenly for Saturday boarding on Sunday as our first day.

Whats it like? I have been hearing rumors of snow!

CI

Was up in kirkwood Tuesday and Wensday! It was so sick snowing both days and woke up Wensday morning with about 12'' of fresh snow and fresh tracks for the first four runs. Even when the main runs were tracked out, the trees and gullies were still soft and full of fresh lines. The better coverage was very convidence inspiring, but deceiving in parts.

Wensday was definitely the day, even though the visiblity got bad, and the snow was coming down, it had snowed the whole night before and I am sure it didn't look the same thursday morning.

WOO HOOOOO! Well we are driving up from SF today, leaving here around 10am and getting very excited to be on our way finally. SF was a hoot, did one heck of a lot in 2 days sightseeing, but it was worth it. The wife is out getting a final ride on a cable car to do yet some more video footage - she is an editor for TV programs so it is usually worth it - and once she gets back we will be off to get the hire car.

Good news on Kirkwood - will definatly be going to more places than just Heavenly, but that will be our base. If any of you are out there and wanna hook up with an old fart (me) and a mad Kiwi (the wife) just send me an email - ian.worrell@sunbeach.net and we can see what we can do.

Fresh tracks all!

CI

I was up in north lake at Sugar bowl this saturday, bunny slopin with the girlfriend. But it look like the last storm did some good for coverage since I was last at Sugar.

Let me know how things were at Hevenly. When I was in south lake last tuesday it didn't seem like they were doing to good.

Heavenly was ok for groomers, none of the black runs are open at all, and coverage is thin, no matter what you may hear. Powder packed runs? I dont think so! Having said that the crowds in the am were light and you could pick up some good speed on the runs. We are taking the day off today to streach out our ticket use and hope for some better (worse!) weather to roll in, we are hearing Thursday. Guess that means we will be riding tomorrow somewhere - maybe take the shuttle to Kirkwood or some where else.

If anyone is around we would be happy to hook up.

CI

Bummed...

Hey Ian, hope you get some okay riding in. The weather turned kinda bad for you guys after last Wednesday's storm. Wife and I had a few good days at Kirkwood Tues, Wed, then Friday before we had to run back home for the new years... Friday was rough, as you had to know where to find what was left of the snow after the extremely high winds from Thursday ripped through most of the good stuff. As for coverage, Kirkwood still had it better than Heavenly when we last checked. Boney off-piste, but you could find some fun. Looks like this Thursday is the next chance at some powder if you are still around...

Sounds like you guys will make the best of what'ev is left though. Have fun!
    Greg
    "NoKnees"

Well there has been some new cover and just in time. More than a foot at most of the resorts. Heavenly was fun in the storm, but the top was shut all day (Thursday) and Fridsy we hit Serria as most of the other resorts were on wind hold. Hoping to hit Kirkwood Sat and Sun so if any of you are around, send me a SMS (text) message and we can ook up - 12462535620

CI