Snowboarding, using non-snowboarding boots?

Just curious: anybody ride using something other than snowboard-specific boots? Friend of a friend uses Sorels. It got me to thinking: what's so great about snowboard boots, anyway?

Seems to me boot technology is still off in left field. Why laces, for example? Laces are hard to tighten, and keep taut. Why not click straps, like ski boots?

Mumble grumble.

And another thing: bindings need some sort of quick-release mechanism, don't you think? Been hearing stories of folks trapped/drowning in powder because they couldn't reach their feet to unstrap. Ach!

Neomaxi Zoomdweebie Reverend SC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LazyL
    Just curious: anybody ride using something other than snowboard-specific boots? Friend of a friend uses Sorels. It got me to thinking: what's so great about snowboard boots, anyway?

Seems to me boot technology is still off in left field. Why laces, for example? Laces are hard to tighten, and keep taut. Why not click straps, like ski boots?

Mumble grumble.

And another thing: bindings need some sort of quick-release mechanism, don't you think? Been hearing stories of folks trapped/drowning in powder because they couldn't reach their feet to unstrap. Ach!
    I wouldn't use quick release, even if it became the "norm". If they became popular, the few "drowning in powder" stories you hear now would baloon into many stories of ACL's and other knee injuries from a single release accident. Not to mention the head injuries from getting smacked by the board.

As far as laces, I love 'em. I guess Boa technology is growing, and most major companies have "lace lock" mechanisms (Northwave, Salomon, etc) making laces easier to get tight and stay there.

Good question on the ski-boot type levers. Maybe because of the softness of snowboard boots compared to ski boots those levers and catches would be tough to work. I dunno, seems like there should be a better way out there somewhere...
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Good point

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend SC
    I wouldn't use quick release, even if it became the "norm". If they became popular, the few "drowning in powder" stories you hear now would baloon into many stories of ACL's and other knee injuries from a single release accident. Not to mention the head injuries from getting smacked by the board.
    Oof, you're right. I guess what I'd be more interested in would be some sort of emergency ripcord type thing...maybe a cord that runs up one's pants leg, and hooks onto a beltloop? But you'd still have to have some way to unhitch the whole ratchet thingy dingy.

Eh, never mind! I'll just stick to riding ice!

And my hangup with laces probably stems from childhood trauma of learning how to tie my tennies...the rabbit goes around the tree, and into the hole...no, wait, the tree goes into the hole, and around the rabbit...oh, dammit all to hell!

P.S. You gettin' any of this fresh snow?

"Freshies"

We've gotten a ton, well, about 5 feet I guess. I haven't seen any of it - working. But I will be up on Saturday, hopefully my stashes aren't overly tracked out.

How's SoCal, are you guys getting any of this?
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Mumble grumble.

Snowboard specific boots offer the required rigidity in all directions, unlike Sorels, etc. Sorel users are generally either not into it enough or started riding in Sorels many years ago and haven't tried anything different. The difference in performance is night and day. Laces are better than buckles becasue they allow you to tighten the boot in more exact areas.
    MARK

Yeah, that makes sense..

...the rigidity thing. I think the Sorel guy does it just to be cantankerous or something.

Agreed, too, that the lacing systems allow more finesse in tightening hither and yon, but I still have real problems with mine (Salomon Ruby), and seem to spend an inordinant amout of time fussing and readjusting them. I tried on a few boots with the Boa system, but disliked them because the tightening wasn't spot-adjustable enough (at least the way I was fiddling with them).

I'd be very curious to try a hardboot/plate setup someday...have you ridden a carving setup? If so, what are your thoughts?

I have

I started out on hardboots, because I crossed over from skiing and it just was familiar. The responsiveness of a hard boot set up is incredible. Move your little toe and you have just changed edges. Combined with the stiff boards that equals to much better grip on hardpack and ice. You can carve just as fast on softboots, but hardboots give more response, steer more accurately and give a much more solid feel. (And heellift is a thing unknown to the hardbooter, provided he got the right size/ shape boot for his feet)

BUT
    Thay can hurt like f*k, just like skiboots. And the tightening system tightens the whole boot, not just places, like laces do.

Soft boots only hurt on places where the straps get too tight (Well, in my experience anyway, and I tighten them up like you wouldn't believe.) And you can walk around in them, even run, should the need arise. Much more comfort. Warmer, too.

Flow binding aficionados tell me that system doesn't hurt like straps do. Flow binding haters tell me the system allows for a lot of sideways wiggling. I dunno. I'll just have to try it one day.

Whatever set up you use, you need the rigidity snowboard specific boots deliver...

...the rigidity thing. I think the Sorel guy does it just to be cantankerous or something.

Agreed, too, that the lacing systems allow more finesse in tightening hither and yon, but I still have real problems with mine (Salomon Ruby), and seem to spend an inordinant amout of time fussing and readjusting them. I tried on a few boots with the Boa system, but disliked them because the tightening wasn't spot-adjustable enough (at least the way I was fiddling with them).

I'd be very curious to try a hardboot/plate setup someday...have you ridden a carving setup? If so, what are your thoughts?
    ( We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing ~Shaw )

Have a look at my
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Interrrrresting.

Ah, yes. I've heard from others that the comfort factor plays a big role. For me, though, I think I may have tough feet -- probably from running around shoeless most of my childhood in Hawaii. (cool, huh? We used to go to school barefoot, and back when I was a teenage track-star, I ran barefoot as well...but I digress.) Anyway, I always seem to be fine with cheap-o athletic shoes, and when I went skiing last year, I actually thought the low-rent ski boots were more comfortable than my fancy-ass snowboarding boots. So, removing the comfort-factor from the equation, let me ask you this:

For someone who just wants to make lazy turns down groomers, is a hardboot/plate setup OK? I'm kind of intrigued, here, since I'm leaning towards going bi (oh, shush up, canuck!) -- skiing when it's icy, riding when it's fluffly, and having one set of pricey boots appeals. But I really am NOT into high-speed stuff. Just mellow, hula-hula turns. Perhaps the sensitivity of the hardboot setup might not be so good?

Sorry to ramble so much...still feeling my way here...would love any advice!

You need to talk to my wife...

Ah, yes. I've heard from others that the comfort factor plays a big role. For me, though, I think I may have tough feet -- probably from running around shoeless most of my childhood in Hawaii. (cool, huh? We used to go to school barefoot, and back when I was a teenage track-star, I ran barefoot as well...but I digress.) Anyway, I always seem to be fine with cheap-o athletic shoes, and when I went skiing last year, I actually thought the low-rent ski boots were more comfortable than my fancy-ass snowboarding boots. So, removing the comfort-factor from the equation, let me ask you this:

For someone who just wants to make lazy turns down groomers, is a hardboot/plate setup OK? I'm kind of intrigued, here, since I'm leaning towards going bi (oh, shush up, canuck!) -- skiing when it's icy, riding when it's fluffly, and having one set of pricey boots appeals. But I really am NOT into high-speed stuff. Just mellow, hula-hula turns. Perhaps the sensitivity of the hardboot setup might not be so good?

Sorry to ramble so much...still feeling my way here...would love any advice!
    She goes through the same thing, almost every week. Put them on, walk to the lift, tighten the left one, ride the lift, left one's too tight, ride down, take them off, ride up, right foot's alseep, "I hate snowboarding", go to the truck, take them both off, put on spare boots when the tinglies go away and do the whole thing over.

Sound familiar?

email me at backer4ever at gbpackersfan dot com. We've been through this for the last 2 years and things are finally settling down. I share as much as I know, then try to hook you up with Rose (shut up Canuck...)

If Canuck isn't allowed to comment on this, can I jump (in) on this one instead? hubba hubba...

ok, i'll try to behave...

As far as I am concerned, a hard boot set up for mellow turns is fine too. there are a lot of hard boots around that are tuned down from the hypersensitive, super rigid race monsters that competitive snowboarders use. They are not less then their competition cousins, they are just more mellow. They lack the turbo drive, so to speak. Also, If you're looking for mellow boards, you're probably interested in a somewhat broader 'boardercross' board, instead of the usual very lean cut slalom boards.

To use your hardboots for skiing doesn't seem like a good idea, because snowboarding hardboots are meant to be rigid, but nevertheless allow for sideways movement, because that's what you need when in a sideways stance.
    It is something you definately do not need for skiing, however, when you need to stay upright facing forwards all the time. To ski on snowboard hard boots is bad for your ankles, or so I have been told.

Do not hesitate to check this at your local shop(s) though, as that particular story was told me about four years ago and technologies might well have changed since then.

Tingling feet might also be caused by tightening the boots too hard near your calves (where the arteries run that go down to your foot) and it can be caused by a combination of the cold and the increased pressure that comes from snowboarding (the feet have a lot of work to do on a board) But that's all I know. I always untighten my straps in the lift up, tighten them for the ride down, and arrive back at the lift with dead feet, so I loosen them up again. Maybe I love snowboarding too much?
    ( We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing ~Shaw )

Have a look at my
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I generally ride in 7" stilleto heels

Mumble grumble.

but I always say it is better to look good, then to ride good. And they look GOOD!

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend SC
    She goes through the same thing, almost every week. Put them on, walk to the lift, tighten the left one, ride the lift, left one's too tight, ride down, take them off, ride up, right foot's alseep, "I hate snowboarding", go to the truck, take them both off, put on spare boots when the tinglies go away and do the whole thing over.

Sound familiar?

email me at backer4ever at gbpackersfan dot com. We've been through this for the last 2 years and things are finally settling down. I share as much as I know, then try to hook you up with Rose (shut up Canuck...)
    Hey I know that game--I hated my boots so much on the day I rode at Northstar. My feet hurt, my toes were numb/throbbing at the same time, my boots forced my pinky toe to turn sideways and curl in so that my toenail cut the toe next to it, the backs of my calves were bruised and I couldn't walk right for two days until my feet started to feel better. Now my boots are NOT top notch, but I thought they felt pretty good when I tried them on in the store--plenty of room both in front and to teh sides to wiggle toes. Yes i tried them on with my riding socks which are not super thick, just nice comfy socks I think were made for hiking (they were a gift). So anyway I guess I'll be buying new boots next year but since this year's already over, my knee is still iffy and I have to spend several hundred $$ on the motorcycle, it's gonna have to wait and I'm just going to suffer through the last few days of riding left.

Not quite sure where to start shopping for next year, I think someone recommended Northwave last time the subject came up?

Talk about heel-lift!

Quote Originally Posted by beez
    but I always say it is better to look good, then to ride good. And they look GOOD!
    LOL! Acrylic stilettos, very nice. Heelside turns must be tricky?

I use an old pair of Teva's myself, lightweight, easy to snug up on the fly and they look cool with woolly socks ...

Really!

Huh. I had you pegged for a mukluk man.
    Attached Images Attached Images