Halfpipe: Proper technique for going up the wall

What's the proper technique for going up the wall? Are you supposed to unweight, or lean back when going up the wall? Thanks.

What i do

What I do (not sure if thet's the 'proper' way) is lean back, but only ever so slightly (really, it's just a little bit!). Carve up all the way, knees bent as to hold pressure on your carving edge, don't ollie unless the wall is severely undervert, just let the vert propel you in the air. lean your lead shoulder back into the pipe to make sure you'll land in the pipe and not on the deck.
    The keyword is speed, speed, speed, speed and more speed.

have a good one!

Quote Originally Posted by slick_momentum
    What's the proper technique for going up the wall? Are you supposed to unweight, or lean back when going up the wall? Thanks.
    ( We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing ~Shaw )

Have a look at my
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Speed is your friend.Do most of your edge work in flats & gradually go to flat basing up the wall(the top half).Just like everything else,keep looking down the hill,don't just focus on the lip.Final thing is practice,which I need badly,since I did none of these things my only time in the pipe this year(actually 3 years).

Went on the half pipe for the first time today.

This is my third year riding and finally got the courage to hit the pipe after learning to jump and ride switch.

Didn't do all the bad. Skidded a few time and hit a few time, but I had to Olie and twist in order to get the board to point down after the air. Can I get away doing this or is there a better technique as someone mentionagain. I know COLDCAT mentioned lean your lead shoulder back into the pipe...but I guess I'm not confident enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Idiot
    This is my third year riding and finally got the courage to hit the pipe after learning to jump and ride switch.

Didn't do all the bad. Skidded a few time and hit a few time, but I had to Olie and twist in order to get the board to point down after the air. Can I get away doing this or is there a better technique as someone mentionagain. I know COLDCAT mentioned lean your lead shoulder back into the pipe...but I guess I'm not confident enough.
    The thing is that a pipe is hard to ride if your not getting up to the lip.Don't try & go straight up the wall.You lose speed plus your probably putting alot of weight on your edge, which doesn't help at all.Try & flat base it as much as possible up the wall,unweight yourself at the apex & keep looking down the pipe.You might not catch the air you want but it'll put you to the lip or a little out,plus you can maintain your speed & control.Alot of people reach their apex & then jump,which puts you past the tranny so you lose your speed.Your not catching air when you do this,more of just dropping.