Talking Da Kirkwood report, 3-18

Day after another good couple feet of cold snow (3k ft snow levels). Crowds are not an issue as for the most part, everyone is switching to their non-snow activities for the season. That and some gnarly accidents from the bay area closed the road for a while which helped control crowds. Bummer to those involved, but you have to know how to drive in these conditions. No excuses... If you slide into another car that crashed, that's because you were driving to fast, not because they crashed. Control your own destiny.....

Overall, only direct south facing lower level open areas had some heavier snow, all the high and protected stuff stayed fluffy throughout the day and into the next snow showers in the afternoon/evening. Anyway, some pictures... The normal... Enjoy or ignore, it's all good...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Greg
    "NoKnees"

B-E-yutiful!!! It's great not to be able to see anyone's feet (and even NoKnees sometimes) in those pics. I spent Sunday at Donner Ski Ranch with my neice & nephew. My nephew is starting to be able to ride the blue runs proficiently. My neice is almost there. Making sure they got up to the snow about 6 times in 2 months is paying off. I can finally see an end in sight to Donner days. Going to check out Heavenly tomorrow for the first time ever. I won't get to explore much though since, again, I'll be riding with newer riders.

It's great when you can see the pay-off for time spent, and real progress being made. I remember those days with my wife, and there is nothing better than the sense of accomplishment when they slay their first black diamond when the snow is just right....

As for Heavenly, just take a glance at the map and plan your day. It's a pain going back and forth between the Nevada and Cali sides, due to flat traverses, etc.. There is definitely some fun to be had there, but getting around can be a little annoying at times... I like the Nevada side for lack of crowds and some nice cruisers with some mellow trees on the sides good for more intermediate riders..
    Greg
    "NoKnees"