Thread: Newb Advice

Hybrid View

Walking Cat

Newb Advice

Hello. I've been interested in getting into fly fishing for a few years now, but have never had the time and resources to get into it. I'll finally have some spare time and a little spare cash to get setup now so I'm looking for a solid beginner rig. I plan on fishing ponds, creeks, rivers, lakes, and streams from Texas to Colorado. Not sure if that's too much to ask for one rod and I surely don't know what kind of fish exist. Can anyone offer advice to the beginner as far as equipement and shops? I'm looking to spend about $200 for rod/reel (if that's realistic). What other essentials do I need? I have a few places in town that I can get lessons from and a few bodies of water to practice on so I should be good there. Thanks!

Edit: I prefer a compact, packable system since I'll be doing alot of hiking to spots.

Welcome aboard, Mr T

Quote Originally Posted by toonces
    Hello. I've been interested in getting into fly fishing for a few years now, but have never had the time and resources to get into it. I'll finally have some spare time and a little spare cash to get setup now so I'm looking for a solid beginner rig. I plan on fishing ponds, creeks, rivers, lakes, and streams from Texas to Colorado. Not sure if that's too much to ask for one rod and I surely don't know what kind of fish exist. Can anyone offer advice to the beginner as far as equipement and shops? I'm looking to spend about $200 for rod/reel (if that's realistic). What other essentials do I need? I have a few places in town that I can get lessons from and a few bodies of water to practice on so I should be good there. Thanks!

Edit: I prefer a compact, packable system since I'll be doing alot of hiking to spots.
    There's lots of fellas here w/ lots of experience, you've come to the right place. Sounds to me like a 4 or 5 piece 4 or 5 weight would get you going in the right direction. From your description, you just need a reel that will hold line, get a Martin or an Okuma for $25 or less. If you take a spill, you won't feel too bad about a beat up line holder. Consider taking a rod building class, it's easier than you think and you'll get much more rod for your $$ than retail and the smile on your face when you land that fish on a rod you built, like the commercial says, priceless.

With what's left you can buy a vise to tie your own flies. Whatever you do, have fun, it's a great sport.

Packable systems

Toonces... first of all... that is the coolest nickname you could choose. Brian has offered you some great advice. I have had opportunities to do all sort of fly fishing endeavors, but my first love is backcountry fishing for wild trout. One of the greatness things is getting to the destination rather than the fishing.

It is hard to ask one rod to do a little of everything for you, but for what you want to do, a 4 piece 4 or 5 weight would be a great way to start. A line that has really peeked my interest has been the Temple Fork Outfitters Lefty Kreh Pro Series. I have casted a few and am impressed. They cast better than some rods $400 more. With a modest reel, and some line, you can have a $200 setup. If you get into the sport more often, then consider building yourself a quiver of rods. I think that I may have a lot of rods, but some of the regulars put me to shame.

You will also need some other basics. Flies, fly boxes, leaders, tippet materials, nippers, forceps are going to be necessary. I don't use a vest. I wear a chestpack. If you want to, just store your accessories in a fanny pack. There is a lot more gear, but these are the basics

If you want some valuable info, get your copy of Tom McNally's The Complete Book of Fly Fishing. It will give you plenty of insight. Many of us have this book.

I hope this helps.

Dennis

Walking Cat
    Went to Sportsman's Finest and picked up a Scott outfit that came recommended by a couple of shops. Got a fairly inexpensive reel, line, stuff that goes with the line (newb alert!), and a piece of yarn to practice with

Now to read up a bit and practice. This is gonna be fun..

Quote Originally Posted by toonces
    Went to Sportsman's Finest and picked up a Scott outfit that came recommended by a couple of shops. Got a fairly inexpensive reel, line, stuff that goes with the line (newb alert!), and a piece of yarn to practice with

Now to read up a bit and practice. This is gonna be fun..
    Get a lesson to start out so that you get a solid foundation. Whether it's from a friend who is a good caster or from a guide, you need some basics. To borrow an idea from writer John Gierach, to a beginner fly casting looks like this simple, effortless artform until you try to do it and then you're conviced that something is wrong with your rod. My buddy who got me flycasting did me a big favor and taught me to double haul on my first day out with a flyrod in my hand. This taught me that you cast far by creating linespeed, not by trying to cast hard.

To me the best thing to do to learn to cast well is to get on a pond and sightfish to bedding bluegill. Casting on still water will teach you some finesse to keep the leader from slapping hard, and fishing for bluegill will let you catch enough fish to have a ball. A nice bream (bluegill, shellcracker, sunfish--whatever) on a light flyrod with dry flies in the spring is a ton of fun, and it will teach you a great deal about casting.

Walking Cat
    well, shiate. i drove for three weeks in new mexico, arizona, utah, and colorado and did zero fishing. and i just now learned to doublehaul. jeez the physics of fly fishing is cool. shooting that line across a pond in a headwind and watching it go further and further was awesome. now i need a fly unless fish like pieces of yarn...

There's lots of fellas here w/ lots of experience, you've come to the right place. Sounds to me like a 4 or 5 piece 4 or 5 weight would get you going in the right direction. From your description, you just need a reel that will hold line, get a Martin or an Okuma for $25 or less. If you take a spill, you won't feel too bad about a beat up line holder. Consider taking a rod building class, it's easier than you think and you'll get much more rod for your $$ than retail and the smile on your face when you land that fish on a rod you built, like the commercial says, priceless.

With what's left you can buy a vise to tie your own flies. Whatever you do, have fun, it's a great sport.

Hi Toonces,

All the advice given so far is great and I am the last one to suggest more advice. I would absorb what you've received and start fishing. After awhile much of what you have been told will start to make sense and you will develop questions specific to your experience.

Angelo@bettertroutfishing.com