Lightbulb Newbie Looking For Snowboard

hey, im a newbie to snowboarding and only went a couple times last season. This season i plan on buy a whole set up and goin more often. But i cant seem to decide on what board boots or bindings to get. I went to a website and emailed then some information so they would give me some reccomendations. But they just kept reccomending some boards that I had never heard of and that were only on their site! so please if you guys can help me out, it would be greatly appreciated. Also, I am 5' 9" weigh about 190, wear a size 10.5 and prefer freeride.

Might get more responses in the Tech-Talk forum, but... Try all you can before you buy. If you feel you "MUST" buy something, buy some boots and take those with you to demo any and every board possible before you buy.

First, start with the best fitting boots you can find. Snug, not too tight though as you need to still have good blood flow, but never, ever buy something a little loose. Performace and control starts at the boot..

Bindings, tons out there at decent prices. Too many for a single recomendation, but... Take the boot you picked in step one, and bring it with you to pick the bindings. You want a good snug fit here. Large size is key, and depending on the model of boot, you may want to make sure the binding has an adjustable heelcup to help you center your boot perfectly over the middle/mounting bolts of the binding, and thus the board... You'll want equal toe/heel overhang at the edge of the board....

Lastly, the board. Need a little more info to make an educated decsion here. Where will you be riding? (what kind of snow conditions) and what kind of foot angles do you ride with? (-3 back, front +15, or +12 +30, etc) A size 10.5 boot puts you on the edge of needing a regular or wide board, pending on your conditions and style. The best control is with a tiny amount of toe & heel overhang, but not enough where it'll drag in the snow when you are on the edge of your board...

And don't go too crazy on your first board, since the "advanced" and "expert" boards tend to be less forgiving, especially when learning. Stick with "Intermediate" rated boards listed as "All Mountain" or "Freeride". It's better to learn and progress on a very average board and then once you figure things out, spend the money on something more specific to your tastes and style. You'll probably be fine in the 159-163cm range, but that'll depend on your answer for where you ride, and what kind of snow. But something in that area should treat you well.

Good luck, and I'm sure others may chip in some good knowledge..
    Greg
    "NoKnees"

Thanx a lot for the help, and for your time. But I usualy jus go to Boreal, its up by tahoe in California.

Ah, the force is strong in the young, no kneed one
    MARK

Learned from the best... Now Mark, I know you are more up to date on specific boards, so feel free to chip in some info... Oh, and what's the link to your "Snowboarding 101" site with all the good info? Seemed to have lost my bookmarks...

BTW, let me know if you come across any light/stiff/reliable bindings that need a home. Still in the market for another pair. Wife fell in love with and snagged the '05 Migs I found... She needed them more than me, but... Well, you know how that goes...
    Greg
    "NoKnees"

Mango, guess I should have bothered to look at your location... I ride Kirkwood mostly, but play around at some of the other Tahoe places. So, it's safe to say you'll be riding just about everything except east coast ice, and well, probably not a ton of powder knowing how quickly Boreal get's hit on pow days...

Anyway, any info on what kind of angles you like to ride? (binding angle on your board?) You may not yet know what you like, so no worries if you don't have an answer. Anyway, look at boards in the 159-161 length, medium flex, waist width around 25.x cm size, 25.5 would be nice, sidecut (or radius) around 8.x meters... There are just too many models that are reliable and solid for what you are looking for, so as said above, just focus on "all mountain" or "freeride" and "intermediate". Stay away from "expert" or "advanced" boards....

Feel free to look around and then come back when you've found things you are interested in. Some folks might have opinions on thost specifically mentioned...
    Greg
    "NoKnees"

http://www.geocities.com/snowfactory

I'll keep an eye for a new binding deal.
    MARK

thanx guys for the help. but i have really been looking around lately and found a salomon freeride board. its the Salomon Pulse Flex Snowboard 2006...i believe that the biggest size is a 156...i really like the board but don kno if its too expensive for the quality. Like u said...idk the angles or anything...im a newb to this stuff....so give me u guys input...thanx

That board does come in a 160, and should be wide enough for you in the regular size. They also make it in a special "wide" version, but in the 161cm length I think it'd be too wide for you... The 156 "wide" is okay width wise, but I think it'd be a bit short for your size... If you like that board, try to find the 160cm version and you'll be happier... It's definitely a beginner's board, and it's priced accordingly at $250 from what I see online. http://www.sportingauction.com/product/SALOMON06784111

Look around a bit and check out sales on last years boards, etc.. I'm thinking with a little shopping you can find a better board for the same price... But that's me, I'm a shopper rather than impulse buyer...

Speaking of which, same site as above, clearance area, check http://www.sportingauction.com/product/ATOMIC05RADON

yah, Atomic is a ski company, but they know how to build things more or less. At $199 it's good bang for the buck, and will be a board you can grow with a bit more. It's rated at Intermeidate/Advanced, but from what I've heard it's not too stiff and should be doable. The 159cm size should work for you...

Anyway, good luck... And don't forget, boots make or break the ride... always...
    Greg
    "NoKnees"

ok...well heres a board that i was goin to buy las season...its the Salomon Tranfer 04-05....and actually i just weighed myself and im about 180....plus i kinda want a 156-158 bc i dont want a big board....so tell me wat u think....thanx

Well, ultimately it's up to you. That board would be 'ok', as it's a pretty generic mix between freeride and freestyle... If you can get a great price on it, cool... It is a little on the narrow side for your boot size, and well, I'd still recomend trying to go bigger than 156 if you are truly looking towards freeride, rather than freestyle. If you play in the park all the time, 156 is fine. If you want any stability at speed, and good edge hold when you learn to carve turns, you'll want bigger.

Anyway, ultimately your call...
    Greg
    "NoKnees"

well i sent you a private message so get back to me asap...thanx

"Boring HIll". ;) Buy used. Go to ebay.