Boots/Bindings Question - Need Advice

Hello,

My wife is just getting into snowboarding (she has only gone once, but we plan to get a seasons pass next year, and go several more times this year). She is getting an Option Paloma board (147), but we are not certain which bindings/boots to go with. She has tried on the Salomon Ivy boots, and found them quite comfortable, but we want to do some more research before jumping into this purchase. So, my question is, what are the best women's boots/bindings to get, given the following conditions:

A) She is currently just learning to board.
    B) We need equipment that will last for 5-10 years, ideally, and be practical for her skill level all the way up (she will probably never be super-pro, though).
    C) We're looking primarily at current models, but if there is something from last year that is still available, we might consider it.
    D) Price is not too much of a consideration, as we intend to keep this equipment for a long time, but nothing super-expensive.
    E) Something that goes well appearance-wise with the Paloma would be nice, preferably a simple black binding, but mostly I want to know what the best quality is out there.
    F) She is definitely not going to be doing pipes, rails, etc - ever, so All-Mountain or Freeride gear is what we are looking for.

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Quote Originally Posted by pascalli2
    Hello,

My wife is just getting into snowboarding (she has only gone once, but we plan to get a seasons pass next year, and go several more times this year). She is getting an Option Paloma board (147), but we are not certain which bindings/boots to go with. She has tried on the Salomon Ivy boots, and found them quite comfortable, but we want to do some more research before jumping into this purchase. So, my question is, what are the best women's boots/bindings to get, given the following conditions:

A) She is currently just learning to board.
    B) We need equipment that will last for 5-10 years, ideally, and be practical for her skill level all the way up (she will probably never be super-pro, though).
    C) We're looking primarily at current models, but if there is something from last year that is still available, we might consider it.
    D) Price is not too much of a consideration, as we intend to keep this equipment for a long time, but nothing super-expensive.
    E) Something that goes well appearance-wise with the Paloma would be nice, preferably a simple black binding, but mostly I want to know what the best quality is out there.
    F) She is definitely not going to be doing pipes, rails, etc - ever, so All-Mountain or Freeride gear is what we are looking for.

Thanks in advance for any help!!
    Get the boot first as this will determine board width, binding fit, etc. Read "Boot Fitting" at www.geocities.com/snowfactory to understand the proper fit experience. Salomon make svery good boots. At a 147 I will assume that she is of fair to light weight. That combined with her experience level would suggest a compsoite base plate binding as opposed to a less forgiving metal base plate. Again, the boot determines the binding for many reasons such as fit(especially heel cup area), length, highback height, strap lengths, etc. so you need to decide on the boot first.
    MARK

At the risk of this sounding unhelpful or negative, you're realistically not going to get bindings (and possibly not boots) that will last 5 years or more; firstly, they'll get knackered, and secondly, they'll get out-dated. I'm also relatively new to snowboarding and found this really helpful http://www.vpas.fsnet.co.uk/rssFAQ/framed.html

I might have partially disagree with ya here Kimber. For one, the binding technology hasn't changed all that much in a five year span. Good straps from 5 years ago are about avereage to above average straps now. Performance is near identical with most improvements being made weight and in some cases comfort. Nothing light and day. I have various strap bindings covering the last decade that document this pretty well. Good straps last.. Bad don't. Good stepins, well, they used to last okay, but really, what are good step-ins? Bomber Trench Digger plate bindings... they'll last... Not much for soft boots these days..

Boots, well, that is something else. They just care how many days you ride. If they fit right, give good support, and you only get 10 days a season on them, 5 years is a reasonable expectation. If you work/live on the hill, 1 pair a season would be awesome, but most have trouble past the 100 day mark.

Not much has changed in the techno of boots. Lacing improvements, sure, but not all good. Liners, some good, some not...

Spend some money on "good" equipment up front, and it'll treat you right for a long time... Go cheap, and then you can expect to replace more often...

Anyway, that's just my opinion. Take it or leave it... It's free and has no retail value..
    Greg
    "NoKnees"

I stand corrected. Personally, I'm probably looking at stuff that won't last that long as I'm on a fairly small budget. On a slightly different note, have you heard of the brand BIG AIR? I'm looking into a board package (see 'illuminati brand' thread) and haven't heard of therm, other than discount ski/boardwear and am not sure of how reputable/reliable they are. To be honest, I just want it to last a season and I'm not advanced or anything. Thanks a lot for any advice!

Hope my initial response didn't come out too harsh. I just think that you can be happy and should expect to get a few years our of something you buy these days without sacrificing much. I know people in the industry would like you to think otherwise, but really, especially if you are not pushing the extreme, the quality of mid-level products these days isn't bad at all.

As of Illuminati, they used to be solid, not sure these days... Not real familiar with BIG AIR. Maybe MARK or E will chime in and give some input, as they both are a bit more in touch with the board manufacturing these days than I. Wish I could help you there...
    Greg
    "NoKnees"

No no, not at all, you evidently know a lot more tech. wise than I do (like I said, I'm not an experienced snowboarder), thanks anyway! I might wait until Easter and see what I can get in the post-season sales and try to get a model by a reputable make like Burton, Sims or Salomon etc. from last year at a sale price. Hopefully nice and cheap! Again, as I said before, I just want something that will last me a season (perferably more, but I'm not fussy!) and is cheap without being a piece of crap. Cheers

Thanks for the replies, guys. We ended up going with the following set up: Option Paloma Snowboard, Salomon Antidote Bindings, and Salomon Ivy boots. Any thoughts on this setup for her? We've only made it up once since everything came in, and the conditions were pretty bad, but it seems to have performed well.