Thread: Which tent??

Which tent??

I'm looking for a 3 person 4 season tent. What i have in mind is Tents by North Face's VE25, Eurika's K2 and Ketly's Radiant 3. I would really appreciate if anybody who has used any of these tents can tell me of their experience. Plus if someone has a better alternative. Thanx everybody. looking forward to ur advice.

Hi Kaleem

All I can tell you is I have had a North Face Tadpole for about 15 years now and it is still a great tent, the zipper went out a few years ago and Noth Face fixed it under lifetime warranty. North Face makes great tents and you can't go wrong with their products. They started the free-standing tent revolution that is now the standard. All North Face products I have ever used are of extremely high quality and all backed by a lifetime warranty. I would highly recomend North Face. Also making great tents and not on your list is Sierra Designs.

P.Toast

Greetings,

It depends on what you'll use it for. I've had an NF Oval 25 for over ten years and its bombproof, a palace for two and cozy for three. However, it weights about 9 lbs, so I only use it winter camping where I (and my tent mate) don't mind lugging the extra weight. But you can't beat it when you're getting blasted by 50 mph winds.

I also own a Sierra Design Orion (2 person) that weighs in at about 5 lbs and is my all time favorite 2 person backpacking tent--light, just enough room for two, a decent vestibule, and sets up in about 2 minutes (wheras the NF Oval 25 takes about 15 min to set up).

So, for 4 season, I'd recommend the NF oval (or look into single wall if you have the $$$ and want to save the weight), and for 3 season, go check them out at your local outfitter. Moss tents are also amazing (hand made in the USA), but also weigh more and cost more. Walrus and Mountain Hardware make some great tents too. I've used many of them at one time or another. However, there are a zillion choices out there.

Can you give me more specifics on use and I can probably give you some more specific recommendations.

cheers

-Ben
    "MooseDawg"

Thanx Alot P. Toast and Moosedawg for your comments.

I need a 4 season tent 3 person as i plan to go to the great Himalayan range in Asia. I'll be going up to hights of around 16,000 to 17,000 feet. Moosedawg you mentioned to look for "single wall" if i want to save the weight. Could you please advise me of any.

The tent i have in mind is NF VE25. what do u guys think about it?? or would you recommend any other?

once again thanx A LOT!.

Kaleem.

3 person 4 season tent

I must have been asleep in my last reply. I somehow read that you were looking for a 3 or 4 person tent, not a 3 person 4 season tent. Sorry about that.

So, back on point:

I can recommend the NF VE25 without any reservations. It weighs in at 10.5 -11 lbs and is the benchmark for all expedition tents.

Like I said, I've got the old version (at that time, it was designated a 2-3 person tent) from 15 years ago and it's still as strong as it was on the day I bought it (mine actually weighs 8.5--I purchased it the year before they upgraded to stronger but heavier materials). I haven't slept 3 in it, but it fits two and a 100lb dog with ease. I've been is some pretty nasty storms w/50+ winds and 2 ft of snow accumulation over night and except for a slight shudder of the walls now and then, never felt the weather outside.

Bibler is the leader in single wall tents. The one you'd probably be looking at is the Bombshelter. It's a 4 person 4 season, but only weighs 8.5 lbs. However, some people complain of condensation issues with single wall tents (since it's a single wall, water vapor transfer is slower than w/the conventional tent/fly combo). It also costs $800 (which is $300 worth of other gear you could be spending on your trip).

Unless weight is your #1 concern, I'd go w/the NF (as long as you and the two others you'll be sleeping with have all layed down inside one and fit!).

Cheers and have a great trip!

MooseDawg