Ride Timeless v Donek Incline Wide

Hi all.

I've been lurking without posting for a while here. I'd like to open by saying thanks for all the posts, replies, and advise. It's been very helpful.

That said, I'm in the market for a new board and I'm leaning toward the Ride Timeless or the Donek Incline wide. Opinions? I'd also like some advise bindings (I wear Salomon F24s size 10).

I've read a bunch here and elsewhere and the general consensus seems to be that you can't go wrong with the Timeless. However, I've seen only a few posts about the Doneks. I'd appreciate some input on how it rides. And, if anyone has ridden both, a direct comparison would be swell.

About me: I'm 5'11" 155lbs, been riding for 7 years, and am 99% freeride/backcountry w/the occasional bomb down the groomers. I own an old Salomon 450 163cm (7 yrs), a Voile 166 split decision (3 yrs), and an OSin 4807 (1yr). Well, the 450 has had it and needs to be replaced. I'm leaning toward the Ride 161. Help?

Also, I purchased a pair of Salomon F24s at the end last year (Salomons fit me perfectly), but are too small for my current bindings. So, I need new bindings as well (*sigh* there goes my savings). Again, heard great things about the Rides (SPI, Tomcat, and Migs). I would like a stiff/responsive/light binding w a little give so I don't feel totally beat up at the end of the day. And which bindings will work well with the smaller profile of the F24s?

A long post, I know, but any suggestions/advice would be most appreciated.

cheers

Ben
    "MooseDawg"

Ben,

I own an older Incline 168 and Timeless 167 both... Incline is I think a 2000 model year, Timeless is an 01/02 I think... I've ridden newer models of both since, and can say their personalities have not changed, but have been refined... Newer models have better dampening while still being stiffer than your average board.

Anyway, the big difference between the two is sidecut. If you haven't played on a board with a wide turning radius this might throw you off. The Donek has is in the 10+ meter range, pending on the length. The Timeless is in the low 8's I believe. What this means to you is that at lower speed you'll be able to get a tighter carve with less effort on the Timeless, and at high speeds you enjoy the larger arc and stability with the Incline. The other place this makes a difference in the overall effective edge per length of the board. With the mellower sidecut on the Donek you'll have more metal to the ice... Edge hold in the steeps is nice as well, since the sidecut helps you disperse the weight a bit more evenly across the length of the board, instead of primarily where the tip and tail contact the snow...

Another area is board width. I have 9.5 Malamutes, running pretty direction angles 24 ish front, 12 ish back... I use the regular Incline, with it's 24.x waist... I ended up using Palmer Plates on it to reduce some overhang issues but loved the edge to edge quickness... Pending on your angles, you'd be making the right call going with the wide, or you might be able to get away wth the regular... up to you...

Comparing the two:

High speed tracking: Donek
    High speed carves: Donek
    Ice: Donek
    Powder: Timeless (wider tip & tail)
    Lower speed carves: Timeless
    Jumps, drops: Timeless
    Trees: both, Donek edge to edge was faster, Timeless tight sidecut is nice
    Bumps: Carved: Timeless, Slapped: Donek

Bindings, not sure.... I just picked up some of last year's Migs and love their weight savings compared to my older Ride Team's... Fit I can't help you on, as my Malamutes I bellieve are wider than your F24's... Think you just need to head out to a shop with your boots and check some out... Not sure which Ride bindings have a standard composite highback instead of a carbon reinforced, but that's where I'd suggest you look. The alum baseplate and carbon highback would proabbly be a stiffer combo than what you're looking for at your weight... I'm about 200lb and tend to be able to flex most anything...

Anyway, good luck in your search.. hope my feedback helped... Donek may be able to hook you up with a demo, and has a money back gurantee if you don't like'm... So don't let that hold ya back... The owner Sean seems pretty cool too the few times I've talked to him on the phone...

BTW, where do you ride? How often do you get out on your Split? (I have an older Prior 172st split)
    Greg
    "NoKnees"

Greg,

heh-heh. I almost sent an email to just to YOU b/c I thought I remembered that you had both boards, and you seem to be a well-spring of information.

Thanks a bunch for the input.

I think I will try and demo the Donek. For dropping that much $ i'd sure like to be sure. And I hear ya on the sizing. I generally ride 3 deg back and 18 front. If i can swing the reg incline, I'd like to so that I can take full advantage of the edge to edge capability of the board.

Where do I ride? I spend most of my time off piste on the split (probably 85% split, 15% in area) and mostly on Mt. Hood (every weekend or at least every other weekend), with one trip to Sun Valley each year (got a friend w/a place there) and if I'm lucky, a trip to to Utah or Jackson Hole as well (got a friend there too). In general, out of area on Mt. Hood is some nice powder w lots of crud/windblown stuff mixed in. The split is a bit of a tank though--no where near the performance of the 450 (except the 450 chatters my teeth off, one edge is thrashed, and--which is why I want to replace it).

I'm torn b/c on those ideal or near ideal days in area, I want to be able to go from the powder in the trees to flying down the groomers so that I can get right back to the powder in the trees. I'm guessing the Timeless will be better at that hands down. However, the rest of the time when conditions aren't perfect, if I'm in area, I'd prefer to be carving big, fast, hard turns, which I'm sure the Donek wins hands down. Unfortunately, I can't afford both (unless I find em both used (and not trashed) for the price of one new).

How do the boards comopare off piste?

Bindings--yeah, I'll just take my boots into the shop and play around.

Again, thank's for you time and advice, and any more input would be appreciated.

-Ben
    "MooseDawg"

p.s. where do you ride most of the time?

Ben,

I log most of my days in Tahoe, and more often than not, resort riding at Kirkwood or occasionaly Alpine Meadows with my wife. I've only gotten a few days here and there in the backcountry 'round Donner Pass area and Carson pass, but look to get more in the future. I don't have a regular partner, so I'm trying to get my wife a bit more comfortable off-piste before I drag here out there with me... She loves pow.... Has the addiction, just have to get her proficiency up in 'variable' conditions...

When resort riding, I spend most of my time seeking out the steeps and trees, and any powder stashes I can find. A few little drops thrown in, but mostly steeps and trees... I've done a little backcountry with my Timeless on my back before I got my split, and it did the job just fine.

It's hard to say which board is better off-piste, as they just have totally different personalities... The Timeless is going to be more like other boards you've ridden... The Donek won't... It took me a few runs to figure it out, but it clicked, I was a happy camper.. The Donek cuts through tracked out stuff where the Timeless is more likely to bounce over it. On windblown icy crap (wind exposed rollovers, ridges, etc), I liked the Donek as it seemed to track better and be less twitchy with it's larger radius and narrower tip/tail... Dunno.. I can make a good case for both.. Have to decide between tight turning & float, or tracking and effective edge...

Dunno what more to say... Guess you need to get your hands on a demo...
    Greg
    "NoKnees"

Thanks

Greg,

yah know, I'm leaning toward the Donek. I'm going to try and get a demo and I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again,

Ben

Timeless v. Incline

I am in the exact situation (vexed over buying the Incline or the Timeless) and came across this forum. At the moment I've picked up a 156 timeless because the board geometry and flex are very similar to one of my all time favourite decks - the Burton Rippey. The Incline (on paper) really seems to suit my riding style & I'd like to get on one as soon as I have the chance, but it's a hard leap of faith to make for the price.

If you have any further feedback after riding the two back to back, I would be very interested to hear it.

Cheers, ///Matt

Quote Originally Posted by TMF180
    I am in the exact situation (vexed over buying the Incline or the Timeless) and came across this forum. At the moment I've picked up a 156 timeless because the board geometry and flex are very similar to one of my all time favourite decks - the Burton Rippey. The Incline (on paper) really seems to suit my riding style & I'd like to get on one as soon as I have the chance, but it's a hard leap of faith to make for the price.

If you have any further feedback after riding the two back to back, I would be very interested to hear it.

Cheers, ///Matt
    Finally someone I can relate too. I loved my old Rippey. Have you ridden your timeless yet? I'm curious how you would compare it to the Rippey.

Rippeys graphics were the coolest.

Unfortunately i never rode a Rippey. Doesn't he ride for another company now? Was told Burton boards were too noodley. I demo'd a Canyon, A Custom, and a Floater and liked all of them. I honestly can say Ride Timeless is the funnest board i've ever ridden but very fragile. The old edge of the 2004 and earlier was cap/sandwich construction i believe so it did not fare well over rocks. I am dying to try out the new model however it has slantwall sidecut and looks like a better stronger board. I recommend the Timeless for anyone with a size 10 boot. The 25.5 waist is perfect for quick edge to edge but still stable enough on hardpack. It is a bit chattery but hey that's what makes it fun and challenging. It is a great pow board. I've never ridden a Donek so i can't say in comparison. Go w/Ride if you are gonna do some freestyle riding.

Actually mine was a burton Rippey

Came from a Burton Brushie and the Rippey was a much more "mature" ride for me.

Does anyone know what year Ride made the "magic the gathering" version of the timeless?

Gold Rippey

Right, my Rippey dates back to (I think) '98 with the metalflake gold top & koi fish graphic. That deck has stayed in the quiver while others have come and gone. I've seen a few on ebay in decent shape. It's certainly stood the test of time.

The '06 Timeless has very similar geometry (1" back, smill radius sidecut), but a stiffer flex pattern - more like a Burton Custom-X, but softer then the T6.

Haven't ridden my Timeless yet as I'm still recovering from last season's blown ACL/PCL, & the surgeon was pretty adamant that I wait 'till January to ride on my new franken-knee.

Quote Originally Posted by TMF180
    Right, my Rippey dates back to (I think) '98 with the metalflake gold top & koi fish graphic. That deck has stayed in the quiver while others have come and gone. I've seen a few on ebay in decent shape. It's certainly stood the test of time.

The '06 Timeless has very similar geometry (1" back, smill radius sidecut), but a stiffer flex pattern - more like a Burton Custom-X, but softer then the T6.

Haven't ridden my Timeless yet as I'm still recovering from last season's blown ACL/PCL, & the surgeon was pretty adamant that I wait 'till January to ride on my new franken-knee.
    i have the year after the Koi, w/ the rocket.

03/04 model year.
    MARK

Snofool, how much time do you spend riding on rocks? Guess I tend to keep to the snow more, and thus, haven't had much of an issue with my Timeless. Honestly, it's been pretty bomber, even on the few rocks I've hooked edges on. Maybe the newer ones are a bit more fragile, as I think I'm around 60 days on my '01...

Anyway, I've seen the best boards fold, and the worst boards take the beatings of a lifetime... Sometimes just comes down to bad luck..
    Greg
    "NoKnees"