New brain buckets...

Interesting technology being put to work for our heads in Europe... Check it out: http://www.livescience.com/scienceof...04_ribcap.html

Summary:

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr><td align="left" height="120" valign="center" width="168"> </td> <td align="left" valign="top" width="355"> New Soft Helmet Turns Hard in Crash
    By Bill Christensen

posted: 04 December 2005
    10:02 am ET

</td></tr></tbody> </table> <table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"> <tbody> <tr> <td width="19"></td> <td>
    Researchers at the University of Hertfordshire have discovered a complex elastomeric compound they call d3o that is both soft and hard.

<table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="9" width="200"> <tbody> <tr> <td bgcolor="#dcdcdc">The Ribcap is seen above. Below, the d3o 'ribs' in the cap.
    </td></tr></tbody></table> A shear thickening material, it is flexible when moved slowly, but when it is compresssed by an impact, its molecules lock together. The material stiffens, spreading the impact over a greater area. The Swiss company Ribcap is bringing out a new line of headgear for snowsports based on this material. The Ribcap is a combination soft, flexible beanie and tough helmet.

</td></tr></tbody> </table>
    Check link at top for full article... I'm sure they'll come up with something a bit more visually appealing, but....
    Greg
    "NoKnees"

Quote Originally Posted by NoKnees
    so... it's made out of carrots?

cool.

-mhty

I'm a little dissapointed there haven't been more responses on this... I mean, nothing about soft helmets that get hard when you bump them? There's got to be more to it...

Anyway, seems like a cool technology....
    Greg
    "NoKnees"

Too easy.

I'm a little dissapointed there haven't been more responses on this... I mean, nothing about soft helmets that get hard when you bump them?
    Soft yet hard, AND ribbed? That thing sells itself.

I think this guy has 'em beat, though. Mad style! Reminds me of some messageboard guy's bachelor party.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

So are the carrots edible? That would be cool for when you're like hungry and stuff, but don't want to come off the hill. Perhaps they could devise a beff jerky one or somethin'? You know, for peeps that like beef jerky, but don't like carrots. I hate carrots.
    MARK

Brazilian Whipping Boy

Interesting, but...

I'd like to see how they react to a real impact, say to a tree or something.

Not that I often hit my head on trees or anything, just my legs. Do they make chaps?

T

interesting. I've just been thinking about an invention similar to that guys pic.

imagine this: instead of your average cold weather hat, you wore a fleece lined wig! one like that dude's would totally rock. AND keep your head warm at the same time! eh? eh?

could have a don king version, an old lady version, a blonde version, a W version, a princess leia version...

-mht

Aren't chapped designed to alleviate the wear and tear on the inside of your legs? You plan on straddling some trees?

But yah, they have some motorcycle body armor type gear they are working on that might be more appropriate for you riding style...
    Greg
    "NoKnees"

Aren't chapped designed to alleviate the wear and tear on the inside of your legs? You plan on straddling some trees?

I don't think Bunda would be too happy if he spend his days plowing over trees that way. (Or if he showed up wearign chaps for that matter)

I do sometimes wear my Hillbilly brand butt shorts, especially if going into the trees...the padding on the thigh helps a good bit when slamming into them. I haven't really gotten a grasp on the whole avoidance thing yet.

-mht

Kojak?

Has to be a kojak version...

I was thinking about an organic version of this helmet, being from the West Coast and all, using Cow lungs strapped over your head, and then just blow into to inflate?

I still haven't distinguished the Love/Hate relationship just yet with the trees.

Every time i think i'm in Love. A treesnake jumps out of nowhere and bites me. What about some sort of blade you could activate from your shins. whenever the trees get too tight. Something immortal. Could use a disappearing potient at that moment. Just when you think its safe to go into the trees and BAM-something happens to respect the Mother.