Remember your first snowboard?

I saw this ad on Ebay and it brought back a flood of good memories about my first snowboard. It was a Ride (Freeride?) 153, I was 13 and paid $250 for it including Preston lowback bindings. One day riding it that stands out in my mind is a sweet midweek powder day at Bachelor in 1995 when it dumped more than 12 inches over night and just pucked white fluff all day. I'd only ridden maybe 10 times but I knew enough to set my bindings back as far as I could on that little 153. It floated well and I quickly learned that deep pow was one of lifes sweetest blessings.

Awww memories... Anyone else care to share stories from back in the day when they bought thier first board? Please share.

Heres the link:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=36297

First board I ever actually owned was a 153cm Division 23 Steve Blakely Pro. A sick looking board that could be bent into an "L"
    MARK

My first board was a LibTech Jamie Lynn 139 with Bent Metal baseless bindings that I bought in 95. I actually had it until last winter, then I sold it. I kinda wanted to keep it but didn't have the money. I learned how to ride (kind of), rode for about 1.5-2 seasons, then stopped for about 6 years. It had blue and green whales on it.

my boards

I learned on a carving board 143, I think. I was skiing at the time and could ride the board for a few hours each day using my ski boots. Once I got the hang of turning, I bought a Morrow 141 with bindings ($100, display model). I practiced on it and fell a lot. Then Snowdude bought me a Burton Balance 143.5 and the board made really nice turns for me and I started doing some intermediate runs. I should have tried a better board earlier. Next was a Burton BMC 152, which was "lost" somewhere in Mammoth when we "forgot" to lock the racks. Replaced it with a Burton Witchcraft 151, which is what I'm using now.

The board I learned on was a 'hot' hybrid board 165....I didn't realize that was a bit long, that's what the rental guy gave me! My first own board was a Santa Cruz 52, bought in 1995. That one died quickly on some rocks. Went to the Burton twin 44 (it was hip to go short that time) and loved the feel of that board. It served me for three seasons. Then one odd season on Salomons' first 156, then the Burton balance 157, my most faithful and revered board until now. Compared to that, my first santa Cruz was a pack of noodles!
    ( We do not stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing ~Shaw )

Have a look at my
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rental ski boots set +15, -15

I learned on a rental freestyle board with plate bindings and rental ski boots. My angles were +15, -15. It was sweet, that setup basically immobilized my whole lower body(something that took me years to undo). Why did I like this sport again? I guess it was because my 56 year old dad was falling and laughing with me(luckily he still is). I remember wanting to throw the board into the woods and putting my skiis back on, but we'd get to the bottom of the chair and he just wouldn't give up. I figured if my "old" dad isn't giving up, I got no excuse. Anyway, after a season of getting up and falling all day, we decided falling would be much more fun on our own equipment. So, I got a Sims Neil Drake Signature edition 156 and Burton cusom freestyle bindings. It was sweet, I still have it. I got it cause the base graffic was snowboarder in handcuffs standing before a judge in a courtroom with his hands cuffed. I still have the board about 9 years later, and still ride it once or twice a season. My dad got a burton Custom 159 with this green topsheet with a pegasus(he liked the pegasus, because he said when he was riding he felt like he was flying) with the bourton freeride 3 strap bindings. His setup is still being ridden too by a liftie at our home base. At the start of this season, I set all my boards in chronological order on the wall in the basement. It was cool to look and see the shapes and sizes change with my style. Short in the beginning, then growing in length and thinning at the waist as I got into carving, then shortening again as I going back to freestyle. Some missing due to warranty failures, one missing due to being stolen.
    I was actually reminded of all this last weekend when I was talking about equipment to the instructors I train at my home mountain. We were talking about advantages/ disadvantages of some new binding technology and stuff. I said that one of the best advances was slap rachets on the straps. One of the new instructors looked at me with awe and said "Dude, you rode before there were rachets?".
    James

Vaguely...

I don't remember the model name but it was a Morrow 165cm. I bought it in 1991 from a surf shop in La Jolla. Obviously, the algorithm used for sizing was a bit novel, thus the 165cm.

It was a uni-directional board and pretty stiff. I didn't know any better so I thought it was a great board. Until I bought my Morrow 4Ten 159 in '96. Then I knew my first Morrow was a piece of junk. Same thing happened when I bought my Salomon ERA 158 last month. I wonder how the technology will improve in the next few years.
    Tantrum

"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

First board I bought, some mid nineties Burton Custom 159, had a cute sea turtle on it. Think it was around '96 or so... Then, a SOLO (who?) 163.. All white, with a big black firehawk on it. Liked the larger side, stiffer ride... Full base delam on me on the 10th day of riding... Next was a Donek Incline 168... Fun board, took some getting used to at first. Now it's just my rock board. Around the same time I picked up a "used" but mint condition Morrow "Matt Goodwill" pro model 176 for powder days. It's like a Hummer. Big, holds the road, drives through anything, but weighs a ton. Sitll nice on powder days when I know I won't be doing narrow stuff.. My current daily ride is a Ride Timeless 167... Takes a lickin but keeps on tickin... Yeah.....

Anyway, I remember the day at the shop when I bought my first board... Ah, the memories...
    Greg
    "NoKnees"

K2 Fatbob

Super noodlely board, but used him for about half a season before I got a Never Summer.. har har har!! But I do remember getting plenty of compliments on the graphics on the Fatbob.. <forlorn sigh>
    "I better not feel both of your hands on my back"

- Overheard during a rectal exam

the first board I rode was a Libtech something or another (circa 1997) but the first one I owned was a Trip 153 I think. It blew off the top of Whistler Peak and landed on a large rock tail first. Then I bought a Sims Alan Clark...

Wow, that was a long time ago...

The first board I rode was a Burton Backhill my buddy's parents picked up at the old Burton factory in Manchester. The first board I owned was an '84 Burton Performer Elite 150. I salvaged it after a fire in a shop I was working at in Connecticut. It was stolen, damaged, and the thieves were caught and had to buy me a new one.

Since then I have had a Kemper Freestyle 165, Burton M6, Burton A59, Rosso Seone (sp), a Ride Yukon and a Timeless.

These days I have a Ride Mountain 168 with the bindings set to the rear for fresh dumps and a Mecca for everyday riding. What a difference since the early 80's!

damn showoff!

ok, I'm changing mine to an old barrel stave, circa 1843, to which was attached two loops of duct tape...

pllllffftttt

That is so hillbilly!

Quote Originally Posted by canuck
    damn showoff!

ok, I'm changing mine to an old barrel stave, circa 1843, to which was attached two loops of duct tape...

pllllffftttt
    Throw in some possum-skin pants, and you're there.

First board was a 2001 Burton Feelgood 156, featuring a graphic of a chick skiing. WTF? No wonder I suck!

People snowboarded in the 80s? Never knew...

K-Zero (first snowboard = 2004 Burton Clash)

we rode in the 80's but.....

at first I had to pass a test and had a photo id that looked like a season pass. It allowed me on the slopes at Magic and Bromley mountains in Vermont. If I can find it I will scan it and post it.

'98 Gnu Todd Schlosser 153, and it still sees shred time. It's super buttery and fun to dork around on. It's the designated jib/rock board now.
    -Ryan

Sims Switchblade circa late 80's. I learned to ride on a hill at the local golf course. Wish I still had it. Before we actually bought "real" snowboards we would wax old skateboard decks and ride 'em backwards down the hill. Just staying on was considered an achievement.

-Kevbeau

Quote Originally Posted by Kevbeau
    Sims Switchblade circa late 80's. I learned to ride on a hill at the local golf course. Wish I still had it. Before we actually bought "real" snowboards we would wax old skateboard decks and ride 'em backwards down the hill. Just staying on was considered an achievement.

-Kevbeau
    Switchblade eh. You mean like...this one
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    MARK

Almost like that one......mine was white with a little more neon on it

Anyone remember Black Snow Snowboards. They were el cheapos, but you could buy them at Kmart. My mom got us one....the Mogul Monster I believe it was called...no metal edges, made of plastic. Busted it on the first day doing nose presses.
    I love the fat boards for the pow pow...

Avalanche Reflex,still got it.I think she's turning 18 this year.Plus I have an ancient red board with a nose leash,fin & little nobs for your feet to grip.I think that one is old enough to drink.
    elex autist formally known as e

Your pic didn't work. Just upload the pic and don't copy/paste. Although you can't see it initially, it will appear once you submit the post.
    MARK

I don't have any pics yet,but I'll try to get some on my compritor,since I use AC for the interspank
    e

I was referring to K-Zero, but your's may be a Skifer from the sound of it. I've got a couple of Snurfers myself(around a '69 and a '72).
    MARK

basically it is

This is just home made skurfer copy,I'm not sure when my brother got it or how he could ride it.I think he got it around 85 or so.I rode it a little but you needed a few inches of powder on top of hardpack.I'll see if I can post some pics of it at later.

Quote Originally Posted by MARK
    Switchblade eh. You mean like...this one
    My brothers got a Sims Switchblade just like that but with neon yellow Look bindings. I wonder if its worth anything?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr-Darius
    My brothers got a Sims Switchblade just like that but with neon yellow Look bindings. I wonder if its worth anything?
    This particular one is an '89 model(the white is an '88). Unfortunately the real market for older boards is 1984 and older. This board w/bindings can fetch around a pathetic $75
    MARK

maybe you mean 89?

just checking

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by canuck
    damn showoff!

pllllffftttt

Damm. You're core.

dang, some of you are old, oops, I mean "old school"

I didn't ride until 95? or so. Not old school at all really. just old. I learned to ride on a friends old board (black with blue neon, square back, pointy front, much like the board picture posted by Mark). I used another friends old bindings, that were too big(no ratchets either), and some cheap red suede felt boots (I kid you not). Needless to say, the first few times were quite interesting. But I still got hooked! Eventually I bought a SIMS all- mountain, and some cheap (no ratchets again) sims bindings. I stuck with the red boots for a few years though. I've worked my way though 2 morrow escapes(destroyed), a burton supermodel(still rideable), a salomon 500 pro(destroyed-literaly had a stick wedged between the edge and the top sheet), a salomon 550 pro(died quite prematurely due to a slice through the bottom, up through the top sheet-about 6" long), and now ride another (thanks to ebay) used 550, also have a fastback and a heelside core. I did the step-in thing for awhile too, but now am back to conventional bindings( a couple pairs) and have Salamon malamutes (the best boot ever!!!) and some Adidas protoype boots with very little life left in them. I wish they made 550's forever. I love that board!!!