Cap vs. Sandwich construction

Whats the difference between sandwich and cap construction and what are the advantages of one over the other?

A true cap is easily distinguished by the topsheet graphics continuing down to the edges on the sides of the board. This construction serves well for freestyling because it is light, offers a fairly responsive ride, and has increased snappiness for ollieing. The disadvantage of a true cap is that it often does not hold it's edge quite as well when in deeper carves.

A sidewall constructed board's graphics stop where the topsheet meets the sides of the board, giving way to noticeable separate walls that continue to the edges. This technique serves well for freeriding in that it tends to provide greater pressure to the edges and will not wash out as easily in deeper turns while also dampening vibrations. Sidewall repair on this type of construction tends to be easier and comes out looking slightly better than with the cap style.

Understand that the rest of the board’s construction can offset such advantages/disadvantages, so this all is just a generalization. For example, a company may put in a layer of rubber on their cap boards to aid in vibration control.
    MARK

Quote Originally Posted by MARK
    A true cap is easily distinguished by the topsheet graphics continuing down to the edges on the sides of the board. This construction serves well for freestyling because it is light, offers a fairly responsive ride, and has increased snappiness for ollieing. The disadvantage of a true cap is that it often does not hold it's edge quite as well when in deeper carves.

A sidewall constructed board's graphics stop where the topsheet meets the sides of the board, giving way to noticeable separate walls that continue to the edges. This technique serves well for freeriding in that it tends to provide greater pressure to the edges and will not wash out as easily in deeper turns while also dampening vibrations. Sidewall repair on this type of construction tends to be easier and comes out looking slightly better than with the cap style.

Understand that the rest of the board’s construction can offset such advantages/disadvantages, so this all is just a generalization. For example, a company may put in a layer of rubber on their cap boards to aid in vibration control.
    Thanks Mark, that was very informative! Being that I'm 5'7" approximately 160lbs, would a board in the 158cm size fit me well? I 75% freeride and 25%freestyle. I've been riding a lib tech jamie lynn for awhile now and have been eyeing the never summer SL 158.

Where do you ride/type of snow and what is your boot size?
    MARK

Quote Originally Posted by MARK
    Where do you ride/type of snow and what is your boot size?
    i ride southern california mountains which is pretty much packed, groomed snow. and boot size is 9.5