Which board to get?

Printable View

• 12-30-2004
    wifebeater
    Which board to get?
    I'm looking to get a new board and would like to get some opinions. I'm an all-mountain kinda guy and I am looking at the following boards:

-Arbor A-Frame
    -Arbor Element
    -Burton Custom X
    -Burton T6

I'm not much of a park person but I would take the board on the jumps. I'd also take the board on steep double diamonds.

Thanks for any input.
  • 12-30-2004
    SpudBoy3
    I'm looking for a new stick myself
    I am also considering the A-Frame. Looking for a top notch freeride board that can rip with excellent edge hold. Elex on this forum turned my attention to Glissade Snowboards. They appear to be a nice custom shop based in San Francisco. Take a look at the Short Bus. I don't know your specs, but this looks like an awesome board.

http://www.glissadesnowboards.com/shortbus.html

Also considering the Never Summer T5, Donek Incline Wide, maybe a Ride Timeless.

Good luck.
  • 01-02-2005
    NoKnees
    Boards.... All sound good... I'll give a vote for the Donek Incline, Ride TImeless, or the Never Summers... The Arbors always came out too soft for my liking... And along those lines, I've heard that the Custom X this year feels great out the door, but softens up a lot too...

Of the above boards, the Donek is quite different than the Ride or Never Summer's as it has a VERY mellow sidecut. Makes for a great edge holding very stable all mouintain board, but it's very different when it comes to turn initiation..
  • 01-17-2005
    MrSweetNLow
    From what I hear, the T6 is amazing, if you dont have big feet that board is awesome at all mountain but not so good at free style. If you want more of a free style board, go with the Custom X. I've also herd really good things about the X, I was going to get it, but my feet were too big so I got the Baron ES (amazing!). Go with Burton, makes you feel good ;)
  • 02-01-2005
    wifebeater
    I ended up taking the Arbor A-Frame. It looked too good to pass up at $379 (REI). What did you end up with?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpudBoy3
    I am also considering the A-Frame. Looking for a top notch freeride board that can rip with excellent edge hold. Elex on this forum turned my attention to Glissade Snowboards. They appear to be a nice custom shop based in San Francisco. Take a look at the Short Bus. I don't know your specs, but this looks like an awesome board.

http://www.glissadesnowboards.com/shortbus.html

Also considering the Never Summer T5, Donek Incline Wide, maybe a Ride Timeless.

Good luck.

• 02-02-2005
    SpudBoy3
    Question for NoKnees (and others)
    I have narrowed my board choice to a '03 Never Summer Premier 161or '03 Ride Timeless 161. From earlier posts, I have seen you have been on the Timeless for some time now. Have you ever demo'd a NS? I was curious to hear the pro's and con's for each board. I have heard nothing but rave reviews for each. I am 5-11, 175, 5 years exp, freeride exclusively. Looking for an all mountain board that can go fast with minimal chatter. Excellent edge hold also a plus.

Thanx.

S
  • 02-02-2005
    NoKnees
    My 2cents....
    The key differences are that the Ride has a slightly tighter sidecut, stiffer flex, and less dampening.... The NS 161 compares well to the Timeless 163 in size and due to the different sidecuts their effective edge is almost identical.

So how will they feel? The NS will feel a little smoother in hardpacked and icy conditions. The Ride will feel a tiny bit more "turny" than the NS, but not much. You'll feel the snow a bit more with the Ride as well, but if you ride a lot of hardpack and icier conditions, this isn't always a good thing.

It's really a win win situation. Both are nice and you really can't go wrong..
  • 02-02-2005
    SpudBoy3
    Thanks NK
    I knew I really couldn't go wrong with either, but your expert analysis really helps me make a much better "informed" decision.

Thanks again for your quick reply.

S
  • 02-02-2005
    NoKnees
    Not sure about expert, but somewhat informed analysis works... :) Enjoy!