• 05-09-2007
    Coldcat
    Man, is this forum dead or what?
    Hello guys and gals

How has life been treating you all? I heard you over the pond had a nice winter, and now a very dry and unsteady spring, Europe had a virtually snowless winter (we could almost count the flakes) and now a way too warm (and yes, dry) spring.

I havent been boarding much, owning and rebuilding a house does deplete one's wallet quite a bit! But I did convince the employer of my new side job to go out snowboarding at the biggest fridge the Netherlands has to offer, and three of my colleagues wanted to try this sport they didnt know but that I was raving about. It was a blast. And now two of my colleagues have booked lessons and a summerpass at the nearest fridge, and one of them is displaying the first signs of snowboard fever. Mission accomplished!

I will go tot the mountains again next year, somewhere in march, for the first time in three years. Man... I'm planning on starting a climbing course for the summer, to try to stay in shape.

How is everybody here? *Is* everybody still here? Canuck? Canaria? Noknees? Mehug? Lazyliz? I havent heard from Suchick in veritable ages.

Is Ripz still shredding the swiss alps? (I bought last month's onboard which came with the movie "thermos" that had, apart from a very relaxed feel, footage shot in the season before last - an epic season- in the very region Ripz calls his home and some of those shots made me want to sell my house immediately.. that little film is a definate recommendation)

Hope you all are doing good

Coldcat aka Rebecca
  • 05-09-2007
    alf
    hey rebecca oopps coldcat
    how is it going girl !!! I guess your right about the forum.... probably no one`s here cause they don`t wanna see my pics from this season comming on june ( when the season opens... they will probably end up with a psycopathic snow abscence madness) hehehe....I`ve been wondering around putting myself up to date with the posts.....jajajaaja that would be like 2 years since I last visited.... It`s good to hear you`re ok girl keep it up with the activity in here....:thumbsup:
    c ya
    alf :D
  • 05-22-2007
    Ripzalot
    hey rebekka!
    just a quickie drive by posting here - normally this site is blocked at work but seems to be open now...

last season sucked pretty badly, but i did manage to get on whatever pow did fall. mid march in engelberg was off the hook tho - 120cms in about 4 days. i put the swallowtail to good use. :cool:

hey, where can i get hold of that video? i'm always keen to see what is being filmed in my hood.

i hope life is treating you well! keep in touch if you find yourself in the valais (or nearby)...
  • 05-30-2007
    Coldcat
    Hey Ripz, good to see youre still alive and kicking, and shredding the alps!

Yes, I heard of that late season dump. Seems the dumps do show this tendency to fall later in the year, which is why I plan for March next year.

The movie Thermos -preview and description on: http://snowbroader.wordpress.com/200...livier-pictet/
    is included with the latest onboard magazine, nr 88 (the grey one with Anti Autti on the cover) If you cant find it anymore over there in Switzerland, then you can try ordering through
    http://www.thermosproductions.com/

There is footage in there from Les portes du Soleil, Verbier, Grand St bernard, and of Rocher de Naye, which is goddamn breathtaking footy. Very mellow feel good powdermovie.

I will surely get in touch if my travels lead me there!
  • 05-30-2007
    MARK
    Hey Rebecca, good to hear from you. Many of the old schoolers are still around, although be it in far more limited roles than the old days. It's good to see that you are keeping up with your art!
  • 06-08-2007
    LazyL
    Dustbunnies begone
    Hey, ColdCat, long time no e-see. A pleasant surprise, indeed. Very nice to see Ripz, MARK, and alf come out of the woodwork, too. This place has been quiet, based on threads I see. I hope that means everyone is just out living it up?

No snowsliding for me this past season. Your icebox sessions sound really fun. Good job corrupting the coworkers.

Any pics of the home? I tried to check out your portfolio link, but it looks like the server is down for maintenance.

Not much of interest to report, really. I'm old, fat, broke, burned out. :Yawn:

Next!

(Canaria? Mehug? Canuck? NoKnees? Dr. Bunda? T-Bone?...)
  • 06-10-2007
    Coldcat
    Sounds like you do need a day or two of sliding, Liz! No surf in the Cali sun?

Yep. server is out for maintenance, will be down till next tuesday or so. (If longer, Im gonna be a veritable ***** on the phone!) There aren't any pics of the house on there though, just my art stuff. The home is fabulous. Iny tiny to US standards, but really big for in the middle of a Dutch town standards. It will be finished in.. say... oh, 2011 or so.. :P

I need to corrupt the coworkers. Themore want to invest in a trip to the alps with me, the cheaper it will be. Not to mention having more peeps to share the dishwashing roster with is quite nice as well!
    (They've started to carve under my supervision, and they are super stoked.. I mean stocked.. I keep telling them they havent felt nothing till they did their first powder turn.. Its a slow but sure thought poisoning process I put them through! One of them is 51 and hops around like a kid, telling he hasnt had this much fun in years!)
  • 06-17-2007
    TBone
    Hey all! Good to see the old-schoolers out. The Dr and I had a rough winter seasons this year. It seems all the good snow in CO happend on a Monday or Tuesday and we couldn't get to it until a weekend when it sucked. Oh well. :( How is everyone? I'm playing lots of volleyball, working too much, and thinking I should get out on my longboard. Owning a home is taking a lot out on us this summer. :(

T
  • 06-18-2007
    NoKnees
    Howdy!
    Hey Chilly Kitty! And everyone else! Yah, seems like most of us had an off season this last year. The California Sierra experienced a drought year.... Even when the snow fell, the wind blew it all away within 24 hours... Sad times... Probably have to endure one or two more seasons like this 'til it gets good again. So it goes 'round these parts. Drought times out west...

Glad to hear you are doing well Rebecca, as well as everyone else... How the art work doing these days? Any time for it when not working on the house and getting co-workers addicted to the sport?

TBone, getting out in the sand much for vball? Tourney season is picking up down in Santa Cruz so I'm out playing more... One knee is acting up, but hasn't slowed me down yet... Drugs are good, 'mkay?

Anyway, back to work...

Good to see everyone checking in!
  • 06-20-2007
    honico
    Canned forum, fake posts. Of course it looks dead; not every death deserves a formal burial or funeral however.... Bate me here with a FAKE PM and receive no better in return. *poof*
  • 06-20-2007
    MARK
    Umm, okay?
  • 06-21-2007
    NoKnees
    Darn, I never got a fake PM... Now I'm feeling neglected...

But some deaths do require funerals for those who were aware of the life that once was that has now been lost......

Wow, sounds too deep..
  • 06-22-2007
    Pecheur
    1 Attachment(s)
    G'day
    I also got a PM, dunno if it was fake or not ...

When did this site get consumed as part of Outdoor review?

But yes I'm still alive, g'day to anyone that still remembers me.

After two seasons of really, really crap snow, I didn't even go last year at all it was that bad ... we've actually had a good start to the season.

Attached is a now cam shot from my favourite local mountain, the coverage is good in man made areas, pretty sucky off them, but we have more snowfall in one week than we had in all of last season so can't complain.

But yeah the reality of home ownership (well paying the bank for the privilege of staying there ;P) is sinking in, so not sure how many trips I'll be there this year.

Keep well, I may pop in with some of my pics someday.
  • 06-23-2007
    LazyL
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Pecheur

Keep well, I may pop in with some of my pics someday.

Pecheur, no pressure, man, but we ARE COUNTING ON YOU to carry us thru this hot dry northern hemi summer. But like I said: no pressure. :p Just pop in with the occasional sprinkling of antipodal snow, and all will be well.

Nice times here in southern California. Evening hikes in the coastal mountains...view of the ocean, snakes underfoot...life is not so bad.

Cheers...enjoy, all!
  • 06-23-2007
    Caribbean Ian
    Good grief, fake PMs! I just got one too! Soo good to hear you all are doing well and still haningin in there. ColdCat you still down in the lowlands? How goes the art etc? LazyL - woot! Hail up girl! How are the wilds of CA?

Made it over to CA winter just gone and did some riding up in Tahoe. Managed to hit most of the hills there - Kirkwood, Heavenly, Squaw, etc. Nice spot.

Anyone heard from Canaria or Canuk recently?

Laters all
  • 07-10-2007
    mehugtree
    howdy!
    figured I'd jump into the old-school love fest. even a couple weeks late.

glad to hear everyone is still kickin and doin good!

Not much riding this year for me, a couple nice pow days in CO was about it.

Not much mountainboarding either, still have the course in the backyard, but man, that **** hurts!!! Sheesh.

miss y'all!

-mht
  • 07-12-2007
    Nieto
    yeah, it's pretty dead...
  • 07-19-2007
    Condro
    Alive and well. Snow will still fall, the mountains and outside are still there.

Hopefully everyone is out doing fun things insted of hanging out online!
  • 08-10-2007
    CanariaChick
    Thank the cheerleaders
    This site got to suckin' the day the bushistas arrived and decided we should only discuss snow... and I'm glad to report there's a lot more to living than snow. So over and out, moved on back to school, ride my butt off, work with wind energy now, and deal with people who aren't afraid of talking about anything and everything under the sun.

Censorship is for cowards afraid of the true.
    Peas!
    http://lh3.google.com/marinadelosmar...JPG?imgmax=512
  • 08-12-2007
    Coldcat
    Nice backyard!
    a tad too flat (reminds me of home!) but spacious!

Hey all! Seems no funeral is needed yet, Bushistas or no (and his term is nearly over, thank whomver you think is up there) Happy to see you all momentarily surface. canaria, how are you? New job I see! How is home? I read that the Canarian islands had a few nasty fires? hope everyone got out unscathed?

Art is going good. (I dont know what to expect, really, but ad an exhibition in may, sold three things, will have another one in march, a bigger one. And have a new studio through an anti squatters program, now residing in an old school. Spacious, indeed)

Hope next season will be better then the last (it is an nigma wht the 'new' climate will bring..) and wish you all the best
  • 08-14-2007
    NoKnees
    Hola chickas!

Yah, it's a bit slow here now, and was over the winter as well. I blame global warming... Oh, sorry, global climate change... Don't want to take sides by giving it a political label... ;)

Canaria, glad to hear all is well down in the islands... Windpower is a cool thing. Saw a nice little special recently on an island/city/community in Denmark that is doing a great job at generating more energy than using. Mix of wind for electrical, farming grain and pigs for liquid fuels, etc... Nice program they have there... Any surf safari's lately?

Chilly Kitty, glad to see you doing well too... The new studio sounds cool... Space is nice.... Exhibitions are nice... Hope you find more people with $ that dig your work... Portfolio is looking good as always...

Now hoping for a better winter... It's been way, way mellow here in Northern Cali this summer... Not very hot, not very cold... Just there... Good because of the drought conditions and fire danger.. Can't afford for it to get too hot... I don't expect much of a winter this year, tends to be down for a few years at a time in real drought cycles... We'll see.. Prepare for the worst...

In the meantime just playing beach vball every chance I get when I'm not playing baseball or softball.... And getting back into photography, rather than just taking pictures... ;)

Hope all is well with the rest of the gang...
  • 08-17-2007
    Coldcat
    lil' vid
    Ok, so, just to liven up the board, and to give ease to those needing a few shots of snow in the middle of summer, here's a tiny part of the section about Rocher de Naye in the film 'Thermos' that I spoke about. Powderjunkies will love these few scenes. It certainly makes me salivate. (Note to Ripz; It's 'just above Montreux'!)
    Unfortunately, the thermosproductions.com link no longer leads to the film. Shame.

http://dabble.com/node/19626172
  • 09-04-2007
    Condro
    Can't wait to be doing that again!!
  • 09-22-2007
    FatDog
    The dead speak!
    Hey everybody,

Great to see so many names that I remember from my CD collection! I was thinking recently that I hardly know what CDs to buy without the CD exchange. Rebecca, yours was one of the best. Almost all stuff that I hadn't heard before. Ron B's was another fav, but Evil Ninja put together my favorite. Ah, good times :-)

So, I picked up a new snowboard today. It's a K2 Viper. It was kind of an impulse buy. I was looking at my old, gouged Nitro, and I thought, "Nope!" Went down to Sports Authority for Sniagrab and this one was calling to me.

After many seasons taking it easy, I'm feeling motivated to get out there and make some turns. It seems like if I don't get into the habit of snowboarding, then I spend all winter inside, complaining about it. So, here we go ... any day now ... The wife and I have agreed to alternate days between snowboarding and cross country. She's new to snowboarding and I'm new to cross country, so it's a fair deal.

Big love and be well!

- Kev
  • 09-29-2007
    MARK
    What's up Kevin! Good to se a lot of the old school back in action. We seriously need to do another gathering in the near future. Let the proposals begin!
  • 09-30-2007
    TBone
    Dead, schmead!
    NK,

Sorry, I didn't see your post til now.

Anyway, been playing a bit. Screwed up my ankle worse than I ever had in a VB tournament on some wet grass. I'm trying to get back into the swing of things now, but my timing sucks, my knees ache, my shoulders hurt, and my ankle still isn't 100%. Oh yeah, I'm also only 5'10 and my vertical is about 10" less than what it used to be. ;)

I see it's been snowing a bit in the mountains. Last year sucked for us as it seemed to be crappy snow every weekend we went up. Hoping for different this year.

Good to see all the old schoolers coming out of the woodwork like termites. Hopefully everyone has a good snow year.

Go Cubs!

LazyL, DrBunda says something about gel. I'm clueless.

T
  • 10-01-2007
    canuck
    hey Tbone!
    How's it going man??

Married life treating you well?
    Kids yet?
  • 10-01-2007
    TBone
    Hola brutha canuck!

How are you?

DrB and I are doing well! No kids running around yet. We have too much wine to drink, mountains to ride, and sleep to get. :)

Any trips planned to the Southern Rockies, say around Denver soon?

T
  • 10-02-2007
    canuck
    T, I would love to hit Colorado this year.. .we'll see.
    My wife works at Intrawest so we're riding for free... we can also get free 5 day passes at all Intrawest resorts, so that's Copper I guess right?
  • 10-02-2007
    Tantrum
    Don't forget Winter Park...
    Quote:

Originally Posted by canuck
    T, I would love to hit Colorado this year.. .we'll see.
    My wife works at Intrawest so we're riding for free... we can also get free 5 day passes at all Intrawest resorts, so that's Copper I guess right?

No reason not to come out.
  • 10-02-2007
    TBone
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tantrum
    No reason not to come out.

Amen. Stay at Whistler. Unless you want to come hang in Denver w/ a drunk!

Actually, DrB's got me toned down a bit, but I may be able to find the energy for another Canuck night out on the town. ;) Bring the wife to entertain DrB and I'll try to entertain you! ;) We can talk Tantrum into bringing the wife out and leaving his Swedish au pair (or however it's spelled) to handle the kids. FatDog is always down for beverages as well!

Is that enough convincing?

T
  • 10-03-2007
    canuck
    I dunno man, wasn't Fatdog with us the last time.....

hmmmmm
  • 10-07-2007
    Tantrum
    You need a more mature influence...
    Quote:

I dunno man, wasn't Fatdog with us the last time.....

hmmmmm

next time and I fit the bill.:p
  • 10-09-2007
    canuck
    uh huh.....

how're the Av's going to do this year? The Division is looking tough again....
  • 10-09-2007
    Tantrum
    I'm going to say...
    they'll miss the playoffs again this year. But what do I know about hockey.
  • 10-10-2007
    FatDog
    The night that Canuck came to Denver might be the funniest night out that I can remember. TBone in rare form (get it? there's a pun in there somewhere!) What was that now? Five years ago?
  • 10-19-2007
    deepakhj
    I'm here.. whats up everyone???
  • 10-30-2007
    canuck
    Quote:

Originally Posted by FatDog
    The night that Canuck came to Denver might be the funniest night out that I can remember. TBone in rare form (get it? there's a pun in there somewhere!) What was that now? Five years ago?

The little incident in the Diner will never be forgotten!!!!

Also, can you say "hooker"?
  • 11-05-2007
    TBone
    Quote:

The little incident in the Diner will never be forgotten!!!!

Also, can you say "hooker"?

Thank god for Spiderman, goth peeps, and goth peeps who like Spiderman! ;)

Canuck, if you make it down, we've now got some good wines as well as wine knowledge to start the night. We'll have to have you over since there's no BYOB unless you know someone.

Keystone opened Friday. I've become too much of a snob to go up for these early, wait in line for an hour for a run of people who are bump skiers and riders or have no idea how to ski and ride all on the same run. I'm looking forward to this season though.

NK, played a tournament this weekend for my indoor co-ed sand league. One of the most fun tournaments I've played in a while. We got a poor matchup against a really tough team to start out, started flat and lost 25-22. (one game match to 25, cap at 27) Next game, we played a team we should have beaten easily, but found ourselves down 20-13 in a game to 21, no cap. (double elim tourney) Served 9 stright and won 22-20. Next game, we played the "old guys" who seem to own my team even though they're 1/10 as athletic as my old, unathletic butt. We killed them, and I nearly six-packed a dude. Instead he took it to the chest. Next game, we played the "ringer team." It's D I play, with most players at the A level. (not SoCal A level) This team had 2 open players who have played AVP qualis with a 6'3 guy that skies and pounds, one of the best setters in the area and then 3 of their normal team. I had the dig of the tournament at about the 10 foot line when he crushed one right into the middle and I overhand dug him, had a few nice soft blocks of the big man and only got roofed once on a super-tight set. We wound up losing 21-17 after being up 17-16, but took 3rd. I need to work out. ;)

T
  • 11-05-2007
    LazyL
    I'm reporting this post to the authorities.
    I'm pretty sure you're transmitting State secrets via mysterious jock-lingo? :p

Indoor sand league? Between that, and Coldcat's indoor snowboarding ramp...what's next? Indoor....sex? The mind reels...

Hello to Dr. B. :cool:

Back on topic: right now Hawaii has more snow than Cali. :rolleyes:

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBone
    We got a poor matchup against a really tough team to start out, started flat and lost 25-22. (one game match to 25, cap at 27) Next game, we played a team we should have beaten easily, but found ourselves down 20-13 in a game to 21, no cap. (double elim tourney) Served 9 stright and won 22-20. Next game, we played the "old guys" who seem to own my team even though they're 1/10 as athletic as my old, unathletic butt. We killed them, and I nearly six-packed a dude. Instead he took it to the chest. Next game, we played the "ringer team." It's D I play, with most players at the A level. (not SoCal A level) This team had 2 open players who have played AVP qualis with a 6'3 guy that skies and pounds, one of the best setters in the area and then 3 of their normal team. I had the dig of the tournament at about the 10 foot line when he crushed one right into the middle and I overhand dug him, had a few nice soft blocks of the big man and only got roofed once on a super-tight set. We wound up losing 21-17 after being up 17-16, but took 3rd. I need to work out. ;)

T