Am I Crazy???????

Printable View

• 02-02-2005
    MARK
    1 Attachment(s)
    Am I Crazy???????
    Either I am or I just love my cat I suppose. I woke up Monday morning to my cat crying because he couldn't tinkle due to some type of blockage. Took him to the vet and he was fully "blocked" with toxins building in his system. Thought to myself "oh great, an unexpected $200 bill". Turns out he needed surgery after all other avenues failed. Paid the vet $400 and then took him to an emergency surgeon. Surgery went well and tomorrow I get to pick him up, along with a $2k bill :eek: If the situation can''t be controlled in the future via diet then a second surgery could possibly be needed. In this scenario however, his wee wee would be chopped off and a new "hole" would be made to allow for a larger passage. It'd probably cause him psychological distress, what with not having any genitalia and essentially being a girl from then out. Anyone else out there love their pet or am I just plain crazy?
  • 02-02-2005
    HomerSimpson
    It's a good thing I don't have kids, becuase I couldn't even love them that much ;)
  • 02-03-2005
    beez
    I feel your pain
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MARK
    Either I am or I just love my cat I suppose. I woke up Monday morning to my cat crying because he couldn't tinkle due to some type of blockage. Took him to the vet and he was fully "blocked" with toxins building in his system. Thought to myself "oh great, an unexpected $200 bill". Turns out he needed surgery after all other avenues failed. Paid the vet $400 and then took him to an emergency surgeon. Surgery went well and tomorrow I get to pick him up, along with a $2k bill :eek: If the situation can''t be controlled in the future via diet then a second surgery could possibly be needed. In this scenario however, his wee wee would be chopped off and a new "hole" would be made to allow for a larger passage. It'd probably cause him psychological distress, what with not having any genitalia and essentially being a girl from then out. Anyone else out there love their pet or am I just plain crazy?

I had this happen to my cat once, but they were able to break up the blockage with medication. We then had to get him low ash cat food, and he was fine from then on. So hopefully the diet change will help. I feel your pain. I once spent close to that much on my Beagle, who then died a few weeks later anyway.
  • 02-03-2005
    Tantrum
    No way...
    I'd do the same. It's a shock at first, but it's worth it, IMHO.:D
  • 02-03-2005
    NoKnees
    Yes, you are crazy, but you're in good company... A friend probably spent about 8k on her dog over it's lifespan, unfortnately she just had to put him down.

What are your thoughts on pet health insurance? I haven't checked pricing on it these days, but it's sounds like a good idea.

We currently don't have any pets/four legged extended family, but we plan to once we get a house...
  • 02-03-2005
    canuck
    my cat just spent his 2nd night at the Vet......can you say Ka-Ching?!!

he apparently ate something he shouldn't have....stupid cat
  • 02-03-2005
    Tantrum
    What'd he eat?...
    a pull tab from a Labatt's?:p

PS. I hope he gets better.
  • 02-03-2005
    TBone
    You're not crazy
    Have you tried any organic foods? We put our dog and cat on it. Supposed to be good for them I hear? ;0 They seem to like it.

Good luck w/ the kitty.

T
  • 02-03-2005
    canuck
    hey hippy, does your dog wear birkenstocks too?
  • 02-03-2005
    CanariaChick
    Woof!
  • 02-03-2005
    MARK
    Update......
    First surgery down, one more to go now. Turns out they couldn't get a few remaining "stones" left in the bladder after having urethra surgery, so tomorrow he has to be operated on again to remove the remaining from the bladder. Should get him back Monday barring incident and the doctor assured me that the bill should still be "around" what the original quote was. Hope her meaning of the word is similar to mine :rolleyes:
  • 02-03-2005
    LazyL
    Purrrrrrrrrrrrr
    Hot-pink satin sheets, MARK? You tiger.

That is a cool looking cat.

I have lots of friends spending big $$$ on cat-vet bills. Seems to go with the territory these days (don't remember it being so when I was a kid).
  • 02-03-2005
    MARK
    Hmm...
    Those sheets were actually dark red, but whatever gets you through the night my darling :o
  • 02-03-2005
    TBone
    Dude, I live too close to Boulder. :)
    no, no birks. Some dog trainer dude suggested it cause he's pretty freakin hyper and there's a lot of sugar or excitable stuff in standard dog food.

Pass the bong please....

T
  • 02-04-2005
    canuck
    I got off easy at $350 canuck bucks...the lady next to me was paying $650 for something similar to your cat's problem!!

-um, the sheets do look a bit "pink" dude?!
  • 05-21-2009
    intelemark
    Hello...
    I think everyone is crazy but they need time and situation to show their craziness...