• 10-08-2004
    gman086
    Never Summer camber? Board too long
    Hey,

Was wondering if any of y'all ride a Neversummer board? If so, do they have much camber? I was thinking of getting an SL but want to make sure they have a decent amount of camber. I've been riding Nitro and really like the fact that they have a lot of camber which really helps stability at speed (especially when flat). I'd stick with Nitro but their boards seem to be either too freestyle (I have a Team) or too Freeride (I have a Shogun too) and I want something in-between. BTW If big riders are looking for a FAST freeride board, I'd love to trade my new 166 Shogun as it's just too long for me. Anyone with a 161-163 all mountain board (HIGH END of equal value) wanting to trade please contact me!

Thanks,

G MAN
  • 10-09-2004
    MARK
    Depends on the model. Camber will vary from board to board depending on the length and flex patterns. The camber measurement won't determine the board's stability at speed.
  • 10-09-2004
    gman086
    Benefits of Camber
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MARK
    Depends on the model. Camber will vary from board to board depending on the length and flex patterns. The camber measurement won't determine the board's stability at speed.

When you are on edge you are correct - stability at speed is determined by board stiffness and damping characteristics. When the board is flat (fastest point of snowboarding especially useful for flat runouts), camber provides 4 distinct contact points of greater pressure (2 at the nose and 2 at the tail) which WILL prevent your board from wandering when flat. This is SPECIFICALLY why I will NEVER buy a Burton snowboard again as they have very little camber so you need to be on edge ALL the time!

Cheers,

G
  • 10-10-2004
    Reverend SC
    Quote:

Originally Posted by gman086
    When you are on edge you are correct - stability at speed is determined by board stiffness and damping characteristics. When the board is flat (fastest point of snowboarding especially useful for flat runouts), camber provides 4 distinct contact points of greater pressure (2 at the nose and 2 at the tail) which WILL prevent your board from wandering when flat. This is SPECIFICALLY why I will NEVER buy a Burton snowboard again as they have very little camber so you need to be on edge ALL the time!

Cheers,

G

The Santa Cruz Duo allegedly addresses this with their split core. When running flat based, the edges are said to come off the snow, allowing for flat based runouts. They claim stability when on edge, something about the glass, I forget....
  • 10-12-2004
    NoKnees
    Well, I honestly haven't checked the camber lately, but my experience with NS boards has been that they define stability. I've demo'd them and have a good riding buddy who's been on a premier for a few years now without any noticeable loss in pop.

And I hear what you mean about Burton boards. They aren't too bad off the shelf, but their camber degrades faster than most others I've ridden. From nice to noodle in a couple weeks of riding.. ;) BMC was supposed to be more of an exception, but I'm not sure about the reality of that claim.

Anyway, good luck in your quest.
  • 10-13-2004
    Dr Pooh
    I've got 2 NS Legacy boards of different lengths, and have been riding them for over 3 years. They are the most stable snowboards that I've ever ridden on -- pointing it, riding flat, whatever.

Any reason why you're looking more at the SL? It's one of their more noodlely boards. I'd maybe take a look at the premier.