• 01-11-2007
    Condro
    Transceivers in the backcountry?
    How many of you have a Transceiver, and when do you take it out? always, never, condition dependant?

Which transceiver do you have?
  • 01-11-2007
    Nieto
    I think RECCO is just a clever way to come up on some new gear!
  • 01-12-2007
    Nieto
    word on the street, Transcievers are the second of the three backcountry rules following the even more imfamous, always ride with a buddy! A Transciever definatly wouldn't do anything with out a buddy to use it with!
  • 01-16-2007
    NoKnees
    Well, I don't ride as much backcountry as I'd llike, but.... The few times I do, I go ahead and pack(and turn on) a beacon. But yes, it's completely useless if you aren't riding with someone with one, and the skills to use it correctly.

But yes, rule 1, know the conditions and travel safe. Rule 2, ride with a buddy who has a clue as well. Rule 3, pack the right gear, and the right skills to use it.

Min. gear = beacon, probe, shovel. Nice stat, if you miss your spot digging by a foot, you can spend 15 minutes and a couple hundred extra pounds of snow removal before you save your buddy. No skip the probe...

However, realisticaly, in Tahoe right now avy risk is way low... but it won't be if we get some big storms. We have a nasty snowpack right now with all the cold weather. Top down it's fine since it's relatively thin, with the weakest layers on top from the cold. But if we get a classic sierra storm, we'll bury a real nasty layer with a lot of weight on top that will want to slide for a few days to a week, pending on weather...

Good topic to discuss though. Too many people going backcountry without knowing what they are getting into.
  • 05-01-2008
    tubescrape
    thats awesome

-jeff
  • 01-22-2009
    Photo-John
    What up Condro! I just got a beacon and am looking forward to getting into some backcountry shralping. I wouldn't go into the backcountry without one - especially with the level of avalanche danger this season. I still need to take a complete avalanche safety course and learn to use the beacon right. Having one is only one piece of the avalanche safety equation. The most important piece is education so that you know how to avoid putting yourself in danger in the first place.