PDA

View Full Version : Real job Qs

jibnot
04-26-2005, 12:28 AM
The time has come and I’m a bit lost. I don’t know if anyone works in HR or does any hiring and has some pointers, but….

Any comments on how to explain not working for over a year? The honest answer would be that I went straight to work out of college and wanted some free time. I worked for the same company for about five years, found out that I was going to get laid off about a year before hand and saved all I could. Milked the unemployment all the way through and her I am today.

I’ve done minimal under the table work but basically have been out of a work environment for a year and a half. So, do I explain that I wanted free time or make up some story on how hard the job market was bla,bla,bla or some other reasonable story. I have friends that could help out with exaggerating my under the table work, do employers look for w2 proof ?

------
I’m willing to do about anything out of necessity for a bit but it seems like entry level employers get freaked out about my past salary and experience. Any hints on how to overcome this? Guess seasonal or temp jobs would be best to overcome lying about long term commitment.

Had a bunch of crazy questions running through my head but this is it for now.

Thanks

mehugtree
04-26-2005, 05:29 AM
Any comments on how to explain not working for over a year?

I've found that a lot of people will envy what you did, so totally understand where you're coming from. It may even HELP you get the job because you seem like an "interesting person", and when hiring someone, what you bring to the work culture (personality, getting along with others, not being a dick) is important. my "status" in the mountainboarding scene has helped me get jobs because people found it "cool".

as far as getting a job below what you're don before, that's tougher. some people have a issue with it, while some people will think they're getting a great deal.

-"mht"

TBone
04-26-2005, 06:51 AM
I remember reading about a lot of people (especially when the economy was a bit more down in the dumps) just traveling for a year, or taking a year-two off when they lost their jobs. I'd just say there really wasn't anything that really interested you job-wise in Denver when you got laid off so you traveled around. I think you'll be ok.

T

elex
04-26-2005, 07:46 AM
First thing is that I wouldn't put the "Van" as your residence. I guess it all depends on what company your looking at. Smaller companies don't have money to to rehire & train people so they want loyalty, showing up on time & knowing your not going to take off. More so than a large company.

Your SS# is for backround check, to make sure your legal & don't have any problems. Your financial or W2 is your business not theirs. So just say you were an independent contractor, but now you are looking for more stability. You can add in the unemployment, job market, etc. Just highlight the fact you have been working & to show you have responsibility. The fact that you worked for the same company for 5 years is good, getting laid off is much better than quitting or being fired.
e

canuck
04-26-2005, 08:09 AM
have you met Jibnot? He is definitely an "interesting" person!
:eek:

LazyL
04-26-2005, 09:57 AM
Any comments on how to explain not working for over a year? The honest answer would be that I went straight to work out of college and wanted some free time.

A couple of thoughts: how's the freelance graphics market where you are? (You are a graphic designer, right? Or are you changing paths?) Are you interesting in going that route for awhile? If so, the job gap may not be a big deal. I see lots of graphics jobs posted here where they ONLY want to see an online portfolio, not a resume.

As for the resume, just put "Consultant--Graphic Design" or something for that year off, list a few clients (friends), and beyond that, just tell the truth. That you worked and travelled, but now are ready to settle down because you love the area, and want to buy a house (OK, maybe that's a lie, or not, but it gives that aura of stability).

On the other hand, you probably shouldn't be taking job advice from me...I took 14 pounds of loose change into the CoinStar machine at the market last night to pay for groceries.
:D

NoKnees
04-26-2005, 10:36 AM
I wish I had some quality insight into this. I can tell you that at least on the financial front, they don't like seeing any lapse in your work history. At least that's what I noticed when dealing with new house financing.

As for getting a job, I think you are definitely better off stating that you were enjoying your time off and or doing independent consulting, rather than activiely looking for work during that period. I personally would be more concerned about hiring someone who couldn't find work for a year rather than someone who didn't want to work for a year. So, I'll take your honest answer (can skip the part about milking unemployment) as a best choice on how to explain the gap. And it is okay to talk about Quality of Life and choices based on that. Most companies worth working for will still put some value in that, and at least accept that as a reason for your choices. But don't go crazy on that either, as they'll still expect you to bust your butt if they need you.

Many larger Co's are starting to use companies like "ChoicePoint" (yah, watch your personal info go public) and they'll be a bit more thurough, but still only check education, place/time of employment, etc. No real details. Just make sure if you give work references, you agree on a time/date/duration and job title/function. Shouldn't be a big deal...

I guess a big question is what kind of work are you looking at doing? Same IT stuff, or just something to fill the financial void for now? Staying there in SLC area?

Okay, back to paying my bills...

jibnot
04-26-2005, 11:05 PM
Thanks much all, along the lines of my gut instinct and its good to see it reinforced.

Liz, I did do some graphic design but I was an Industrial Designer (product developer)
Not interested in the graphic thing and to go back to ID it would have to be a perfect fit. Honestly looking to spin my way out. Getting out of the Tec, Outsourcing Innovation thing and moving into more of a service sector job or R&D-prototyping but only if it’s the right fit. Trim carpentry, furniture, something more hands on and out of an office would be rewarding. When I really think about it, long summer hours and then taper off and maybe work a bit in the winter months and drive a snow cat at night.

Noknees “Staying there in SLC area? Yes.

One last question for testing the white collar market. Cold calls or cover letter/ resume to companies I’m interested in but arnt advertising.

Actuly getting exited about all this, after the lifts shut down I told my self I had to hold back on the touring and look for a job. Endid up basically sleaping away the responsibility for almost a week :o but now I’m fiered up.

Luna
04-27-2005, 09:56 AM
Where are you located? I can only speak for Portland, OR but the job market here for the mid-level professional is in the crapper! I have been unemployed for ten months now when my job was relocated to Houston last summer (I'm actually starting a new job in Eugene in a couple weeks because I haven't been able to find anything in PDX); but, I have several friends here who have been unemployed for well over a year also, and these folks are highly educated with a lot of experience. It seems there are only the entry level jobs, barely making a livable wage, or the very senior, director level type positions.

If you happen to be in Portland, I'd be happy to refer you to any of the recruiters I've been working with. I have to say that sitting there and posting for job after job via the web hasn't done much for me except send my resume off into a black hole and cause much frustration. I've even tried calling many of the HR departments for those jobs in which I applied - nothing. The route that worked was having a friend submit my resume to her company. So call all your friends, and have them contact their friends, and see if anybody is hiring.

Oh, and I did spend "quite a bit of time" in Germany last fall. And yes, I tell every interviewer this when asked. I'm pretty vague on how long I was there because I'd rather them think I had a reason for being off than have them think I've been trying to find work all this time.

Good luck!

elex
04-27-2005, 10:37 AM
Portland still sucks for jobs. Such a great area to. I was trying to get our company to move there, so many good reasons, but they thought SoCal would be cooler for some reason. Portland would have been perfect since we deal with snowboarding & watersports(kite,sail & surf). I miss Portland, don't miss the employment problems.
e

LazyL
04-27-2005, 10:59 AM
I'm thinking cold calling might work best with small companies that do hands-on type work (cabinetry places, etc.), esp. if you present well in person (i.e., look like them). It sounds so old-fashioned in this day of internet job-hunting, but I know people who have had success driving around, looking for mom-and-pop operations with Help Wanted signs in the window, and walking in. You usually get a lot less of that background check/resume nitpicking jazz with little operations.

A seven-day nap? I like your style!

P.S. I got sucked back into the tech-nerd field, damnit. Bit of a renaissance locally with the Flash multimedia stuff, which is actually fun to work on. But I understand the draw of working with your hands...go for it.

MARK
04-28-2005, 08:09 PM
I'll just point out a few things that I look for in a resume when setting up interviews for potential managers.
1)The resume itself should never be more than one page
2)Be more specific and put down the month started and ended with each position. For example do not just put "2000-2001". You could have worked from Decemeber 2000 to January 2001 for all I know and it shows that you may have something to hide.
3)Be sure to fine-tune each resume to the specific postion/company you are applying to.
4)Include a cover sheet stating your excitement towards the possiblity of joining the "team".
5)Don't be afraid to follow up with a phone call a few days later, but don't be the guy that calls every three days for the next month. If you really desire a particular position then send a resume every 30 days to the company. If it can be faxed and/or emailed then do that as well. You won't come off as pushy, but rather as being motivated and highly interested.
6)Try not to have lapses in your work history. This would lead the reader to believe that you likely quit your job suddenly without having anything else lined up(not considered a "smart" move). Also, one of the biggest things looked at now is dedication to the employer. If you switch jobs every 6 months then why should I believe that you won't quit on me 6 months from now?
7)Use spell check.