PDA

View Full Version : housing prices

canuck
02-19-2004, 09:20 AM
So, this is what you can buy in Vancouver for only $599,000. Your money is only worth 1.25 Cdn now, so even after the conversion....well, yikes?!

Any comparables in Denver or San Fran, etc??

Tantrum
02-19-2004, 09:38 AM
In my neighborhood, US$600K will get you a 4000 square foot home on about 1/3 of an acre.

My guess is SF will be worse, especially in the city.

canuck
02-19-2004, 09:55 AM
In my neighborhood, US$600K will get you a 4000 square foot home on about 1/3 of an acre.

My guess is SF will be worse, especially in the city.

do you live in the country? Like waaaaaaay in the country?

Tantrum
02-19-2004, 10:04 AM
do you live in the country? Like waaaaaaay in the country?
I'm about 13 miles outside of downtown Boulder (where my office is). It's pretty rural, but not the sticks. I can't just walk to the grocery store or Starbucks, though. I do have coyotes, foxes, and other animals using my property. I even heard a neighbor talking about a bear that was seen in the area.

If you put my house in Boulder, it would be worth about 33% more. My buddy just bought a 1.3 million home near downtown Boulder and to be honest, aside from the location, it's no better than mine. He does have mature trees, which is a huge draw here on the prairie.

I guess the real estate axiom "location, location, location" is true.

CanariaChick
02-19-2004, 10:08 AM
Jeez, I guess we can always have another Canuck in Seattle... check out what you get in my neighborhood for that amount.
http://photos.mywindermere.com/photogallery/91/5755491.jpg

canuck
02-19-2004, 10:12 AM
Jeez, I guess we can always have another Canuck in Seattle... check out what you get in my neighborhood for that amount.
http://photos.mywindermere.com/photogallery/91/5755491.jpg

Wow! Nice, except for those square thingys out front, what's up with those?

I don't think I can afford to join the Seattle Yacht Club though...nice joint that it is!

CanariaChick
02-19-2004, 10:30 AM
You know, on mellow summer nights you sit out there with a nice cup'o tea watching your neighbors walk the dog behind the white picket fence... a.k.a. suburban bliss?

canuck
02-19-2004, 10:38 AM
You know, on mellow summer nights you sit out there with a nice cup'o tea watching your neighbors walk the dog behind the white picket fence... a.k.a. suburban bliss?

do you think the neighbours would mind if I have friends over?

CanariaChick
02-19-2004, 10:42 AM
Chances are, THEY would be your neighbors! :D

beez
02-19-2004, 01:42 PM
I moved from downtownish Boulder to Heatherwood (out by gunbarrel, 75th and Jay) this summer. We bought a house, and given that neither of us are trust funders (unlike some of our friends), downtown boulder was more than a little too pricey for us! It adds 15 minutes to my drive to Eldora though, which is killing me!!!!!
Also, where's this big storm at?

NoKnees
02-19-2004, 06:43 PM
Well, the house wouldn't fit on most lots in san fran.... Way too much yard, and it'd cost you more... Ah well.. For that price you can get a nice studio apartment though.. ;)

Put it this way... My fiancie and I are paying $1700 a month rent for a 2bedroom, 2bath, 2 car garage (not quite attached) single story townhouse 25 minutes out of San Fran...

Damn I need a job if I want to keep this foolishness up much longer...

Firecracker
02-19-2004, 07:29 PM
Real estate in eastern WA is way cheap. You could get a beautiful home up on the South Hill, or a huge house on 20+ acres with a view of the mountains, for that price. Heck you can get 10 acres with a garage and newer manufactured home for 100k shortly north or south of town.

beez
02-20-2004, 07:50 AM
Real estate in eastern WA is way cheap. You could get a beautiful home up on the South Hill, or a huge house on 20+ acres with a view of the mountains, for that price. Heck you can get 10 acres with a garage and newer manufactured home for 100k shortly north or south of town.

I lived in Richland for a year, and from my point of view, there's a reason why real estate was cheap. I was not too happy there. too freakin' hot!!!!!!

Tantrum
02-20-2004, 09:26 AM
In South Pointe, which is the development off of Hwy 287 across from the new hospital at Hwy 42 and 287.

Firecracker
02-20-2004, 11:16 PM
I lived in Richland for a year, and from my point of view, there's a reason why real estate was cheap. I was not too happy there. too freakin' hot!!!!!!

Okay Spokane doesn't have much to recommend it but it is better than the Dry $hittie$. At least we have some mountains, and trees, and stuff. Plus you have Lookout Pass, Silver Mountain, Schweitzer, Mt. Spokane, 49 Degrees, Red Mtn, Whitewater, etc within reasonable driving distance, and Whistler, Mt. Baker, Mt. Hood and Sun Valley a little further past.