PDA

View Full Version : Freeride Recommendations?

oldskoolboarder
01-31-2005, 12:13 PM
I currently ride a pretty old Burton Rippey. Don't remember the year but it's the one w/ the rocket, about a size 158. I want to get a new board. I'm more of a freerider/carver, not a park rider. I'd rather carve and do powder/tree runs.

I demo'ed a Prior MFR 162 and liked it. Had to get used to the length, took a while to turn it but it seems to like carving at higher speeds than my current board. Handles powder better too. I'm looking for a similar ride.

I really like the Arbor A Frame, Woody and Element. Yes, I like the look of the wood. Any similar boards to consider? Also, any suggestions on where to get online? I don't mind old stock either, but I would prefer new.

wifebeater
02-01-2005, 02:31 PM
Just picked up the Arbor A-Frame myself at REI. The graphics are top notch and much better than the element's. The sales people and research I've done make me feel good about this board. I've tried the Burton Custom X/Canyon, Ride Decade, etc...and found them to be OK, so I can't wait to try out the new board.

BTW REI is selling them for $379 right now, but you'll have to call each store to see if they have any in stock.

oldskoolboarder
02-01-2005, 02:38 PM
That seems like a good deal...

NoKnees
02-01-2005, 04:22 PM
Check Prior's site to see if they have any of their "demo" MFR boards for sale. You can usually save a few bucks that way.

I took a spin on their Khyber 165 and MFR 168 Saturday and definitely enjoyed them. Another board pretty similar to the Prior MFR is the Donek Incline (http://www.donek.com/01_products/freeride.htm). Pending on your boot size and angles the Donek could be quicker edge to edge as they make three different widths, the narrowest being 24.5cm or so... I have an older 168 with the narrow waist and it's very fast edge to edge. They like to go fast and carve better than most. Makes sense as the company speciallizes in Alpine Race boards.. Price is around $360 for brand spankin new decks.... Best bang for the buck around... Performs as well as any $600 list board out there..

I like the stiffness of the current A-Frames as well, but haven't had a chance to ride one yet. Older/other Arbors always bummed me out by being a bit too soft.. This seems a bit better in that regards...

Good luck in your hunt... I'm sure you'll be happy with what'ev you end up with.... It's just nice to get out and ride...

oldskoolboarder
02-01-2005, 04:47 PM
Check Prior's site to see if they have any of their "demo" MFR boards for sale. You can usually save a few bucks that way.

I took a spin on their Khyber 165 and MFR 168 Saturday and definitely enjoyed them. Another board pretty similar to the Prior MFR is the Donek Incline (http://www.donek.com/01_products/freeride.htm). Pending on your boot size and angles the Donek could be quicker edge to edge as they make three different widths, the narrowest being 24.5cm or so... I have an older 168 with the narrow waist and it's very fast edge to edge. They like to go fast and carve better than most. Makes sense as the company speciallizes in Alpine Race boards.. Price is around $360 for brand spankin new decks.... Best bang for the buck around... Performs as well as any $600 list board out there..

I like the stiffness of the current A-Frames as well, but haven't had a chance to ride one yet. Older/other Arbors always bummed me out by being a bit too soft.. This seems a bit better in that regards...

Good luck in your hunt... I'm sure you'll be happy with what'ev you end up with.... It's just nice to get out and ride...

Nice rec on the Donek. I don't mind boutique builders, actually prefer them now. Didn't years ago, many of them seemd to be just fly by nite. But I do prefer to support the little guy, especially bike frame builders and such since I'm in to CX racing now.

I don't have big feet, about a size 9, but my boots are about a 10 I believe. I weigh about 170 or so (on a good day) so the board doesn't need to be incredibly stiff.

I did check the Prior site but nothing in my size (162). Hmm, since you tried a Prior and your in NorCal, I assume you rode Kirkwood on Sat. I was at Squaw on Fri. Great conditions, especially after the Thu nite dump and lack of crowds.

NoKnees
02-02-2005, 08:40 AM
Squaw must have been pretty nice Friday. I thought about it, but couldn't get away from work. Saturday at Kirkwood was still pretty nice.. It's not often we can enjoy good cold 'real' powder a day or two after a storm... And yes, crowds weren't bad at all even on Sat and Sunday...

If you give Sean a call over at Donek, he may be able to ship you a "demo" board if he has one available in your size. I know he's done that for a few of the alpine folks out here in the past. At the very least he does have a money back guarantee on all boards he sells. So if you ride it for a couple days and it just doesn't work, he'll take it back. (assuming no core shots, etc).

If you do try one of these, I'd try the "Incline" first. It is pretty narrow, but the "mid" jumps up to something too wide for my tastes and probably yours. I use some old Palmer Powerplates on mine with angles of about 12 and 24, size 10 boots... No issues, and love the edge to edge speed... Definitely the most nimble 168 I've ridden. Still rideable without the plates, but I like to get kinda low when playing "Euro Carver" on the groomers with it...

Rampage
02-13-2005, 07:53 PM
Ride's Timeless is probably the best freeride deck I've been on. It's a bit on the spendier side, but worth it. The Yukon and No 4 series from Ride are probably the next two I'd recommend. Just tried Burton's Baron LE last weekend. It's an ok deck but turns like a freight truck. LOL. I also rode a 5150 last weekend, fairly nice decks. And much more affordable than Ride. :D

NoKnees
02-14-2005, 09:53 AM
Yes, I'm already a firm believer in the Ride stuff. I own a 167 Timeless from '01, and this years 164 No. 4. Very different personalities, but both fun. Oh, and I purchase dthe '01 new for $250 or so at the end of the '01 season, and the No. 4 for $285 a month and a half ago used, but less than a 2 days of groomer use on it. Still mint..

So, yah, they list pricier, but enough are out there that you shouldn't need to spend that much on them..

And yes, the Timeless is my "ultimate" freeride deck... It's my swiss army knife of boards...

slotown
10-26-2005, 02:43 PM
I ride a Butron Baron -all mountain and accomidates my large feet
and a Dynastar O-Sin 4807 Swallow - directional old school swallow style with new materials and parabolic tip... snowboard like its 1990!

SMR
10-26-2005, 08:15 PM
Take a look at the Option Free Plus and Vinson, very nice boards.

NoKnees, whats the Ride #4 like? Looks like an interesting board, how would you compare it to a Timeless?

NoKnees
10-27-2005, 08:57 AM
It's pretty different from the Timeless in the sense that it appears to be much more freestyle friendly. Slightly easier flexing tail with good pop, unlike the stiff tail of the Timeless. Very smooth carves both switch and regular, where the Timeless is a tad squerely switch. No.4 is quicker edge to edge and just takes a little less effort at lower speeds to do all the same things. Feels much more playfull, if you can imagine that.

Hope that helps... I'm not a big freestyle guy, so can't comment on how it'd do in the pipe, but... carves quick, rides switch, has pop on both ends... while it can still hold a highspeed turn in the steeps, won't chadder you to death carving crud, and tracks a straight line when pointed... Oh, and it has a really fast base...

oldskoolboarder
12-07-2005, 11:41 AM
I'm still in the market. Any newer suggestions?