PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Choosing a Pontoon Boat. FAST

lacofdfireman
02-18-2004, 07:40 PM
I am looking to purchase a pontoon boat this next month. I have been borrowing a friends for the past few years and have decided to get my own. I am looking for something less than $700. I am 6'4 240lbs. The one I have borrowed in the past was older and I think a 7ft pontoon. My biggest complaint was that the oars would scrape my thighs on the backstroke making the oars hit the water. Not sure if anyone else has had this experience. In other words the seat sat higher than where you lock your oars in. I tried another guys pontoon boat on a river once and did not have that problem so I know it must have been the type of boat. Should I get a 8' or 9'? Anyone know about the Columbia boats? Copy and past any of these links.

http://www.cheap-sports.com/cat-1191/Outdoor-Sports/Fishing/Tackle/Gear/Float-Tube-Accessories/PID-Pzyfsks/Trout-Unlimited-Columbia-Pontoon-Boat/

Or the Water Skeeter river tamer? Here on Ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3660586265&category=11727&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT&rd=1

What are some of your opinions. Good Warranty and durability is a big MUST.

Thanks for any help. email me at lacofdfireman@yahoo.com or post reply please.

lacofdfireman
02-18-2004, 07:46 PM
Also any good outdoor or sportsman's conventions coming to the Los Angeles area soon? Or is there any good retailers in Southern Cal that would have a selection of Pontoon boats?

Dennis E.
02-18-2004, 10:57 PM
I have a tendency to buy what the guys at the local flyshop are using. To me, that is a testament to the product. I own a ten foot Outcast PAC 1000, and have used it on the Yuba here in Northern California and on the Rogue in Southern Oregon. The boat is stable, but nimble. The harshest condition I hit was a quarter mile section of class two waters with 50 yards of class three... woohooo!!! I know price is an issue, but you definitely get what you pay for.

If you are going to be river running. Go with at least a 9 footer. You should get plenty of stability from it. Also get something with an aluminum frame. It'll lighten the load. Also there is less chance for rust. I have studded shoes, and I have worn through the powder coating to bare aluminum.

Well I hope you find what you are looking for.

Dennis

HMMM... I think i will take the Outcast out this weekend.