PDA

View Full Version : Torture...

NoKnees
01-11-2005, 01:26 PM
I don't know why I keep doing this, but I can't keep myself from checking the Kirkwood snow report. I can't get up there anytime soon, but I still look at it... It's definitely impressive: Snow Report (http://www.kirkwood.com/conditions.asp)

The highlights:

<table bgcolor="#000000" border="0" cellspacing="1" width="100%"> <tbody><tr><td colspan="7">SNOW STATS - snow totals in inches</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td>Last 24 hrs</td> <td>Storm Total</td> <td>48 hrs</td> <td>Season Total Range</td> <td>Base Depth</td> <td>Trails Open</td> <td>Trails Groomed</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td>27-32</td> <td>98-117</td> <td>32-40</td> <td>344-425</td> <td>180-254</td> <td>65</td> <td>28</td></tr></tbody> </table>
All measurements in inches.... Current temps are about 17f at the base... Been cold for a while... Light, dry, fluffy snow.... Hardly anyone there today as all roads in and out of Kirkwood were shut down for Avy work.. Just recently opened them.. Tomorrow will be OFF THE HOOK... Blue skys and cold temps are the forecast... Brings a tear to my eye....

Ric-N-NorCal
01-11-2005, 03:17 PM
Freak Super-Storm Dumpage Hits Nor Cal!
by Jennifer Sherowski

01/11/2005

As you sit slumped in school or work or gridlock traffic, know this: Mother Nature has not forsaken us, she’s just chosen to shine a little glory down on California this year. That’s right, the entire state (as well as western Nevada) has seen record precipitation over the last few weeks, and when it comes to the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range, “precipitation” means snow. Dumpster-loads of it.
With storms like these, this could happen to your car in twenty minutes. credit: Chris Owen
Yup, nineteen feet in the Sierras and six feet in the Reno area since Decemeber 28, if you want to get exact. Forecasters called this winter insanity the most powerful storm series to hit the Reno-Lake Tahoe area since 1916.
Only people with SUVs can gamble in Reno right now.

While Los Angeles was reporting the wettest fifteen consecutive days on record, a winter storm of epic proportions puked up eight feet of snow around the Nor Cal mountains on New Year’s weekend, making for the heaviest snowfall the city of Reno had seen in over a decade. The Reno-Tahoe International Airport shut down for the second time in 40 years, meaning the legions of snow-bros wanting a piece of the storm had to drive in on nearly impassible roads.

The Nor Cal shred scene has swelled to bursting point with every super-pro and photo/film crew imaginable, from Shaun White and Wille Yli-Luoma to Mack Dawg and Kids Know Productions. Handrail missions in Reno, dicey snowmobile treks through shoulder-deep powder, et cetera. Keep an eye out in next year’s videos, because you’re sure to see plenty of footage from this period of freak super-storm dumpage.

And by the way, the snow hasn’t stopped. Another storm steamed through the Tahoe area over the past couple days, hitting some resorts with as much as nine feet of snow—and four feet in Reno. Kids Know filmer Justin Eeles reported to Andy Forgash this Sunday that there’s so much snow in Tahoe you can barely even ride—it’s just shoveling, all day long, the roof, the driveway, the sidewalk ... Photographer Andy Wright said they were thinking about rouping their sleds through downtown Reno. I’ll tell you what, people, it ain’t normal—it’s insanity! If you’re not there, don’t worry, I’m not either. But here’s a list of current Tahoe base reports to light a fire under your ass. Now go.
A freak meeting of, like, four different film/photo crews in a Tahoe grocery store. Priscilla Levac, photogs Cole Barash and Ian Ruhter, Iikka Backstrom, the list goes on.

Tahoe Base Reports

Alpine Meadows: 10 feet

Boreal: 10.2-15.4 feet

Heavenly: 10-12 feet

Homewood Mountain Resort: 9.7-15.5 feet

Kirkwood: 15-21 feet

Mt. Rose: 9-15 feet

Northstar at Tahoe: 7.7-11 feet

Sierra at Tahoe: 10-14 feet

Squaw Valley U.S.A.: 6.7-15.5 feet

Sugar Bowl: 11.5-15 feet

elex
01-11-2005, 08:04 PM
Base Total at Mt E is 7' this area gets hit by the sun also.
Driveway is 4'
Roof is 3 to 4'
Biceps,shoulders are much bigger...from shoveling.Will return to flabby conditions in a week.

Too bad all I did was look at it, shovel & work. Hopefully tomorrow I'll shred, won't be as good as yesterday. Sorry NK & Rich.
e

NoKnees
01-12-2005, 06:39 AM
No worries.... I'm stuck on the sidelines at this point period... No hope of escape. Must live virtually... (he says as he sits in another meeting that started well before the sun came up, again)

Ripzalot
01-12-2005, 12:31 PM
so, uh, like are the very tip tops of trees the only thing visible on the mountain? :confused:

incredible. if i didn't have friends coming out next week i'd be on a plane to tahoe. bad timing. seriously! :(

what's this about being stuck on the sidelines?

NoKnees
01-12-2005, 12:46 PM
Being sidelined due to job and family, no physical issues.. Well, other than being out of shape.. :) Silly adult obligations... Hate them... Get in the way of all the good fun...

Hope to escape to the hills around the 20th... Too far off though. I just hate knowing I've missed some of the best pow days in years... I got in on the early stuff though, so I can't complain...

As for trees, they are still there in places... Just a lot shorter than they used to be. I can't wait to hit up some of the cool chutes I used to. Now they are probably just cool couloirs and bowls.. ;)

So any more snow hitting the hills across the pond there? Or have we soaked up all the moisture from the clouds here in the states?

elex
01-12-2005, 05:28 PM
I think it's a balance, work & play. Little more difficult for you since to play means spending 7 hours in the car. You could move to Tahoe, but you better bring your work with you. This is the first time in 17 years of riding that I have a balancing act working. I don't ride everyday, but I enjoy what I get when I can. All that snow, really only means one powder day for most areas. Will see what tune I'm singing next year if we move our office.
e

NoKnees
01-13-2005, 06:45 AM
I know what you mean... Balance is the key. Last year I swung one way, not I'm back the other (wrong) way.

And yes, there were only a few 'epic' days over the last couple weeks, and I got at least one of them. So no worries... It's just never enough.. ;)

Anyway, I have my health, a job, and good woman, and can afford my toys. I'm happy, despite all the whining. It's all good...

So, any new word on possible office relocations yet?

elex
01-13-2005, 06:56 AM
Office location changes by the hour, I still suggest Seattle or Portland. Too many it rains up there all the time, maybe so part of the year, but you can snowboard anytime you want & own a house.

chuckie
01-13-2005, 10:22 AM
Freak Super-Storm Dumpage Hits Nor Cal!
by Jennifer Sherowski

01/11/2005

As you sit slumped in school or work or gridlock traffic, know this: Mother Nature has not forsaken us, she’s just chosen to shine a little glory down on California this year. That’s right, the entire state (as well as western Nevada) has seen record precipitation over the last few weeks, and when it comes to the Sierra Nevada Mountain Range, “precipitation” means snow. Dumpster-loads of it.
With storms like these, this could happen to your car in twenty minutes. credit: Chris Owen
Yup, nineteen feet in the Sierras and six feet in the Reno area since Decemeber 28, if you want to get exact. Forecasters called this winter insanity the most powerful storm series to hit the Reno-Lake Tahoe area since 1916.
Only people with SUVs can gamble in Reno right now.

While Los Angeles was reporting the wettest fifteen consecutive days on record, a winter storm of epic proportions puked up eight feet of snow around the Nor Cal mountains on New Year’s weekend, making for the heaviest snowfall the city of Reno had seen in over a decade. The Reno-Tahoe International Airport shut down for the second time in 40 years, meaning the legions of snow-bros wanting a piece of the storm had to drive in on nearly impassible roads.

The Nor Cal shred scene has swelled to bursting point with every super-pro and photo/film crew imaginable, from Shaun White and Wille Yli-Luoma to Mack Dawg and Kids Know Productions. Handrail missions in Reno, dicey snowmobile treks through shoulder-deep powder, et cetera. Keep an eye out in next year’s videos, because you’re sure to see plenty of footage from this period of freak super-storm dumpage.

And by the way, the snow hasn’t stopped. Another storm steamed through the Tahoe area over the past couple days, hitting some resorts with as much as nine feet of snow—and four feet in Reno. Kids Know filmer Justin Eeles reported to Andy Forgash this Sunday that there’s so much snow in Tahoe you can barely even ride—it’s just shoveling, all day long, the roof, the driveway, the sidewalk ... Photographer Andy Wright said they were thinking about rouping their sleds through downtown Reno. I’ll tell you what, people, it ain’t normal—it’s insanity! If you’re not there, don’t worry, I’m not either. But here’s a list of current Tahoe base reports to light a fire under your ass. Now go.
A freak meeting of, like, four different film/photo crews in a Tahoe grocery store. Priscilla Levac, photogs Cole Barash and Ian Ruhter, Iikka Backstrom, the list goes on.

Tahoe Base Reports

Alpine Meadows: 10 feet

Boreal: 10.2-15.4 feet

Heavenly: 10-12 feet

Homewood Mountain Resort: 9.7-15.5 feet

Kirkwood: 15-21 feet

Mt. Rose: 9-15 feet

Northstar at Tahoe: 7.7-11 feet

Sierra at Tahoe: 10-14 feet

Squaw Valley U.S.A.: 6.7-15.5 feet

Sugar Bowl: 11.5-15 feet

Patience is the key, as long as the resorts don't decide to bugger off and close early this season. If all goes according to plan, by the time I hit TAHOE in lvery laste MARCH, there will still be a huge base and SPRING temps. When's the latest resorts like Sierra stay open anyway?

Go on and get some, just save some for me. :)