PDA

View Full Version : Board Repair

Rampage
01-03-2005, 09:25 PM
Can someone help me with question? What do I need to do to repair the top of a snowboard?! I'll explain... this weekend I had a little full contact snowboarding event where this new boarder couldn't control himself and slammed into me in the powder. This left a large gash on the top of my deck. The wood is now exposed. Is there some kind of poly-eurythane (sp?) coating I can apply to keep it from getting any more damaged? It's about 100 mm in length and about 25 to 30 mm wide. A friend suggested using fingernail polish, but this same friend is a MacGuyver kind of guy, so I wanted to ask how to get it done right. I'd really appreciate any kind of help you all could give.

MARK
01-04-2005, 04:53 AM
Get yourself a two part epoxy from a hardware store. The longer the drying time stated on the label, the better the bond. Here's a tip: Color the exposed area with a Sharpie marker or something so that it matches the topsheet, then apply the epoxy. It will make the damage harder to see.

NoKnees
01-04-2005, 11:56 AM
What he said... Not sure your board color, but they do make both clear and black 2-part epoxies....

Anyway, definitely go the epoxy route, slower the better. (long-dry) The reason being that slow dry epoxies stay more flexible over time. The quick dry stuff becomes brittle and can crack, pop out, or change the flex of your board if you are using enough...

It's an easy repair. BTW, did you at least make sure you dinged the guy who hit you? Or if it was a girl, get her number? Have her make it up to you somehow...

Rampage
01-04-2005, 10:06 PM
:D I think I know the epoxy you guys are talking about. I'll get on it soon, thx for the help. And... no I didn't get to even stop the guy that hit me. He came off a cat track, must have lost control in the powder, slammed into me, knocking me around, then made for the trees. I talked to the mountain patrol, and all they could do was ask that I was alright and tell me they would keep an eye for the guy. Sucks! Oh well... It's not like I would have had the guy pay for a new deck or anything. I would have liked an apology though. It's funny, when I noticed the gash, I stopped and thoroughly went over the deck to make sure there were no other "wounds," like it was an injury to me... lol!! Thx again for the advice guys!!