PDA

View Full Version : Bruised knee, ego

Reverend SC
02-17-2004, 03:29 PM
Saturday at Donner was going to be perfect. Hard pack, kinda crusty, the kind of conditions that keeps the riff-raff in the lodge until things loosen up. Me? I love it, ice is nice, great board response, edges edging, all your gear you paid so much money for is paying off. I take the first run down to loosen up, all is well. A-OK.

I rolled up to the lift, waited for only one chair, coasted to the loading area, stepped off and....

...before I knew it, I was getting up from a quick fall. The loading zone was pure ice, with a tiny dusting of sugar. My boot never got any kind of traction. I slammed my knee hard, right on the patella. On the ride up, I got that queasy-injured feeling, I know I was a little pale. I unloaded at the halfway spot, gimped aside, strapped in and cruised down. It didn't really hurt to board, but if I barely touched it, OUCH! That's gonna leave a mark...

Reverend SC
02-17-2004, 03:31 PM
This pic doesn't quite do it justice, the greenish-yellow extends halfway down the shin.

I really wanted to tell you guys I got it falling off the peak of a 15 foot rainbow, but I couldn't lie. Lift line.

On the plus side, I got "her-on-top" that night! Hey, I'm injured, lol!

MARK
02-17-2004, 07:00 PM
A classic post in more ways than one:)

Tantrum
02-17-2004, 07:15 PM
A little lovin' should do the trick.

Can't see much of the bruise from the picture. You need to photoshop it if you want some serious sympathy.:D Maybe you could put some of the golf shoe spikes on your boots to keep the slippage to a minimum.

Next time out you'll be good as new.

Ripzalot
02-18-2004, 07:18 AM
do i have to dig up my post to you about ice from LAST season? and now this. what is it gonna take, compound fractures? tsk tsk...

;)

btw, i did the same thing last weekend, sans bruise.

TriRunner
02-18-2004, 07:47 AM
I was riding powder late in December when my nose dived into a rut which threw me over the handlebars and completely tweaked my left knee. I thought I did major damage as it took me 5 minutes to recoup. Managed to get down the hill, but the pain was pretty bad.

Now it’s almost two months later and I still feel the effects of the injury. I can't get my HMO to perform x-rays or MRI's to save my life. I have been doing strength exercises and have now been able to run for exercise. I think I'm OK, but who knows what lies beneath. Just take care of yourself and don't rush back too soon.

Ross

Firecracker
02-19-2004, 07:57 PM
Just don't getcha one of these . . .

Do any of you guys wear knee braces or pads?

beez
02-20-2004, 07:56 AM
Just don't getcha one of these . . .

Do any of you guys wear knee braces or pads?

I suppose that cut into the "leg model" career for awhile! It's been 16 years since a knee operation for me, and I'd like to keep it that way!!!
Sounds like you are recovered mostyl though.

Reverend SC
02-20-2004, 03:33 PM
...until I miss a day...

I thought this was a cool bruise, doesn't hurt to walk, looks neat, etc.

But I still can't kneel at all. Any direct pressure on the area sends me through the roof! And when I board with my wife, there's a lot of kneeling to wait for her (less now than before, but still). And if I should happen to fall....

So I'm staying home this weekend. ARGH! Now it's pissing me off...

Oh well, got Amped 2 for the Xbox last week, so at least I'll still be "boarding".

...or would that be "bored"ing...

NoKnees
02-20-2004, 05:44 PM
Suck it up man!

J/k... if were to be an epic powder day, that'd be one thing. But for a light dusting on variable conditions, not worth the effort if you have something to loose. Of course I'll be riding Sat and Sunday, but I'm physically healthy at least...

I still like telling people how went boarding for two solid days 2 days after they put a screw in my shoulder last winter. Not bright, but it was 2-4 feet of real pow... I mean, come on, can't pass that up.

Firecracker
02-20-2004, 10:59 PM
I suppose that cut into the "leg model" career for awhile! It's been 16 years since a knee operation for me, and I'd like to keep it that way!!!
Sounds like you are recovered mostyl though.

Well I recovered from THAT one, then got myself another one. Less bruising after surgery, WAY cooler scar. Different leg. Kind of recovered from that one--it was only 4 months ago. I boarded on it on 2/13 (talk about tempting fate--Friday the 13th, 800 miles away from home AND staying in a hotel with 3 walls of solid mirrors) and it did ok.

What kind of knee operation? ACL recon or just an arthoscopic clean-up?