PDA

View Full Version : Need help in buying new board

frankyboarder
10-14-2004, 03:11 PM
Hi all...

I have been riding for about 6 years, and am in the market for a new snowboard. My old board is a burton custom 158. I am 5' 8" 194 lbs... I gained a little weight the last few years... but a lot of new leg muscle, and butt muscle.

It seems that my old board cant handle the new weight... It was chattering last year... not snapping as well as it used to ... It might be worn out cause I did beat this thing pretty hard.

So I been looking at a ride timeless... 161 or 164 ? which would be better for me.
I love to Kill a hill... ride hard.. go through the trees... turn like crazy... not super speed on the flats but LOVE the moguls... will go where noone else goes.. Skiied for 15 yrs till I tweaked my knee switched to snowboarding and never went back.

Any other kinds of boards out there that would suit my style?

thanks a lot for the input

Frank

MARK
10-14-2004, 04:23 PM
Along with your weight and riding style, also needed is your boot size and the type of snow you generally ride/location.

frankyboarder
10-15-2004, 08:17 AM
Along with your weight and riding style, also needed is your boot size and the type of snow you generally ride/location.

My boot size is 9.5, I ride northwave boots, I have burton custom bindings, I generally ride mammoth mountain and squaw valley and alpine meadows.

I dont like the parks as much, for I dont want to jump, I am 38 yrs old and falling just doesnt feel that good anymore:)

But I love the vertical, not the double blacks as much, but the powdery sections just below the double blacks... I love the blacks and the difficult blues, would rather go where there isnt that many people.

thanks

Frank

NoKnees
10-18-2004, 08:42 AM
Well, I enjoy a 167 Timeless and I'm around the 195 lb mark these days. Mine is an older '01 model which was at the hieght of their stiffness, the newer models are a bit more refined. I did a little riding on last years 164 and found it to be a pretty sweet ride for all around Sierra/Tahoe riding. A little better dampening without the loss in edge hold. For you I wouldn't go any smaller than the 164. You'll only regret it on the powder days, and the size will not get in your way on the non powder days....

BTW, I'm 33, been boarding in Tahoe for about 11 years, ski'd for about 16 years before that. I spend most of my time riding blacks, double blacks, off-piste, powder and small drops here and there. No park... The timeless 167 is my daily driver, before that it was a 168 Donek Incline. Bigger powder days I use a 172 split swallow, 176 Morrow "Matt Goodwill", or this year I'll be playing with a 177 OSin swallow tail.

frankyboarder
10-18-2004, 08:51 AM
Well, I enjoy a 167 Timeless and I'm around the 195 lb mark these days. Mine is an older '01 model which was at the hieght of their stiffness, the newer models are a bit more refined. I did a little riding on last years 164 and found it to be a pretty sweet ride for all around Sierra/Tahoe riding. A little better dampening without the loss in edge hold. For you I wouldn't go any smaller than the 164. You'll only regret it on the powder days, and the size will not get in your way on the non powder days....

BTW, I'm 33, been boarding in Tahoe for about 11 years, ski'd for about 16 years before that. I spend most of my time riding blacks, double blacks, off-piste, powder and small drops here and there. No park... The timeless 167 is my daily driver, before that it was a 168 Donek Incline. Bigger powder days I use a 172 split swallow, 176 Morrow "Matt Goodwill", or this year I'll be playing with a 177 OSin swallow tail.

thanks soo much!